Soundless Mound: Demo Version [Update 11]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Massaraksh

Re: Soundless Mound: Demo Version [Update 10.1]

Post by Massaraksh »

Congratulations for winning Joel's second mapping contest.
Zemakat
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Zemakat »

Played this, and I must say, it is absolutely beautiful and inspiring and I wish more stuff was like this. (Might as well make a horror mod myself!)

My personal thoughts are that the difficulty seems slightly forgiving, even when on death wish.

I did face more than one enemy at times, but I think if those group encounters were more common, everything would be a little bit balanced. At least, in my case...

Nonetheless, I enjoyed it. The textures, shaders, atmosphere, it all goes together like peas in a pod. And some..."odd" stuff that happens, too.

Things it made me dread:
Spoiler:
MasterBeavis
Preferred Pronouns: Ask Me
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MasterBeavis »

Just tried this and I love it. I hope theres more in the future
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

This TC definitely chills my spine down. The Environment, Sound Effects, Darkness, and Living Nightmares around me almost made me panicked, but escaped from that Cursed building nonetheless. It was very haunting experience. Although i never played Silent Hill series, but this TC certainly shows the whole point of horror plus puzzle adventure genre. And i wonder how low-resolution view and the loading screen work? i'm pretty sure all the rooms are connected in one map. It's one of the wonder of this TC. I basically enjoyed the game and got nothing to complain... But i've got some suggestions to tell;

- Crowbar weapon sprite looks certainly big and almost takes the whole screen.

- And Speaking of Crowbar, i have no idea why it causes ENORMOUS Smoke effect. And i hope i can use it to open some jammed shut doors or something.

- Pistol weapon sprite is exactly Vanilla doom one. I hope there would be more original sprites and replacements.

- I think this TC gives too much of Healing Items like Drinks. I think this might make the Hardest Difficulty more manageable.

Oh, also i missed only one room and got B Rank. But i feel satisfied! Excellent job with pushing GZDoom to its limit. Looking forward to your next work!
portable fridge

Re: Soundless Mound: Demo Version

Post by portable fridge »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:
ZikShadow wrote:- No difficulty settings, a premonition of difficulty changes that change more than the monster counts or just didn't want to bother with the settings?
Lack of time.
ZikShadow wrote:- The inventory only has a single slot to see, might be tricky to cycle to the thing you want to use in the event that later versions increase the stuff that you can use.
I didn't put a lot of effort into the HUD, so there's that. I'll definitely have this fixed up in the full TC (complete with pausing the action when it's being scrolled through).
ZikShadow wrote:- I wonder if it's possible to have the red saves use manual slots instead of autosaves.
Sadly it's not possible.
ZikShadow wrote:- The pistol's rather underwhelming feel, like its not an actual firearm and more peashooter. The Goldeneye reload also feels off. I know that the sounds are ripped straight from SH + it's replaceable from my end, and that the pistol sprite itself didn't really have reloading sets, so it's not really a biggie.
I'd definitely have gone with better sprites for the pistol but that's all I could work with at the time.
ZikShadow wrote:- The melee weapons range confusion. I can adapt to it, but I still occasionally misjudge my aim from time to time when using the charge mechanic. The sprites themselves also often fools you, with the knife going more for the side slash than a forward thrust and the crowbar still looking too close even though the range is double the knife.
These are also due to the sprites I decided to use, they're definitely not fitting for what I wanted.
ZikShadow wrote:- Having the melee weapons move you when attacking plus the crowbar's not so crosshair dependent charge attack (I swore I aimed at a monster on my crosshair only to somehow miss them and have my back exposed for attack) adds some unwieldy feel to them. I'm guessing it's done to replicate SH's melee weapons oddities, but still.
The crowbar is awkward to use for balance reasons, as its damage output is absurd when charged.
ZikShadow wrote:- The door transitions feels a bit too slow. Again, a SH thing, so nothing to really worry about. Though it would be nice to have a skip button option for rooms you've already visited.
Had I had some extra time to polish this I would have added options to toggle many things, including the low res effect, fake door loading times, and others.
will you be fixing this issues in full release?
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

The full TC will be a completely different product entirely.
jimmiNO

Post by jimmiNO »

Hi, i found a little bug, anyway i think so: on the second floor, there are 3 doors without numbers (the no_room doors) exiting from the door that caries on the double stair for the locked door, the right door that goes downstarirs but the door is locked (too much locked doors XD), I can enter but I can't exit. So I was blocked :(
Anyway really ggod game, it inspire me a lot and, maybe i'll make something similar, maybe, i have another project in mind, not the same genre :D

I hope to be clear in the description, you created a very good and destabilising map
Marisa the Magician

Re: Soundless Mound: Demo Version [Update 10.2]

After seeing how many people triggered that one bug with the lingering ambient track, I ended up fixing it. Can't believe I didn't notice that little oversight.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Oh yeah, i've been there as well. But thanks for the fix finally! I guess Halloween month is not really over, huh? :P
Gourry
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Gourry »

Can I play this with game mods or no? I can't seem to open any doors when playing it with PB.

Edit: I see. Thanks for the info Rachael.
Last edited by Gourry on Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Most TC's, especially those which add their own monsters or items or both (as in this case), are unplayable with Project Brutality due to its nonabstracted nature of handling the in-game components it modifies.

In Lehman's terms, and to put it another way, Project Brutality manually replaces every monster with its own version of that monster, and since it has to specify every single monster and their specific changes, it cannot account for new monsters created by other maps or mods such as this one.

So the answer is no, at least in this case.

The answer will also be no for any mod that is as old as Project Brutality is, since it predates ZScript, with a rare exception of whether such a mod would have had a fundamental redesign concerning how it manipulates the objects in the game. An example would be NashGore which went through a massive overhaul that was specifically designed to work so that it could modify every monster. It's likely (though not certain) that NashGore would work with this map.
GruigiGamez

Post by GruigiGamez »

I love this mod. I like how the crowbar swings you forward and you can't just mash m1.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

I finally got around to playing this and I loved it. It's creepy and does a really good job of giving that Silent Hill vibe. I have watched this project for years I hope to one day see the finished game.

Marisa the Magician

Re: Soundless Mound: Demo Version [Update 11]

Ladies and gentlemen, Update 11 is now live. This is the very final update for the demo, with various quality of life changes, rebalances, bug fixes, and much more. Hope you all enjoy.
Pillowz_Here

Re: Soundless Mound: Demo Version [Update 11]

Post by Pillowz_Here »

i got softlocked in stairs between 1st and 2nd floors, doors wouldnt open

edit: this was the stairwell with the box containing the 3rd floor key

edit 2: nevermind the area where you can interact with the door is just really janky
Last edited by Pillowz_Here on Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”