Soundless Mound: Demo Version [Update 11]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Ravick

Re: Soundless Mound: Demo Version [Update 8]

Post by Ravick »

Oh, this is so awesome! The atmosphere, the sounds, the mapset, the gameplay! You really got Silent Hill and Doom merged!

I have a new favorite mod now! :wub:
CatMancer

Post by CatMancer »

I must say, amazing job on this one. It's rare that a game of any kind, or a mod, can get under my skin as much as this one did. I approve.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

i wont lie a lot of the guns feel odd because by comparison to the rest of the mod seein how they're a lot of base stuff from realm667

why not give a lil bit more personality to the weapons? I think for example a good hand might fit, and the normal doomguy stuff feels out of place.

I guess in a horror mod im lookin for more stuff that makes me feel weak. Not useless mind you, but weak. Thats just my 2c on the feel of the mod.

oh and that balancing puzzle is driving me mad
Attachments
9viq3lzx8wz01.png
9viq3lzx8wz01.png (10.55 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

From what I understand, the weapons feeling clunky and weak as they are is by intent, due to the Silent Hill tropes that this mod embodies. But luckily, the mod does not really try to overwhelm you with monsters, anyhow, like a standard Doom mod would, so it is also by design that you should be able to handle it.
chronoteeth

Post by chronoteeth »

its not the clunkiness. Im fine with clunky, weak by design, but theres a different kind of clunk. Its hard to explain, but what I mean by that is somethin more akin to a weapon feeling unique yet sluggish. The weapons in this, a lot due to in part by the animations and the fact that they were pre made stuff, feel like the bad kind of clunky. They feel like the author wanted to find something more chuggy than the normal weapons, but just simply used pre made assets than unique stuff.

they do the job, yeah, but they dont feel like im a weak, helpless individual, they just dont feel fun
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I didn't have time to make fresh sprite artwork for the mod. I've said this multiple times. I just went with what I could find.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

@chronoteeth
Haven't you saw the OP closely and the comments what follows after that? Guess I'll be the last one to repeat that...
It's said lots of times that was lack of time due to the contest as its original purpose.
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

chronoteeth wrote:its not the clunkiness. Im fine with clunky, weak by design, but theres a different kind of clunk. Its hard to explain, but what I mean by that is somethin more akin to a weapon feeling unique yet sluggish. The weapons in this, a lot due to in part by the animations and the fact that they were pre made stuff, feel like the bad kind of clunky. They feel like the author wanted to find something more chuggy than the normal weapons, but just simply used pre made assets than unique stuff.

they do the job, yeah, but they dont feel like im a weak, helpless individual, they just dont feel fun
You could always make your own weapons.
chronoteeth

Post by chronoteeth »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:I didn't have time to make fresh sprite artwork for the mod. I've said this multiple times. I just went with what I could find.
i apologize for not having read more than just the initial post, but the criticism still stands. they do the job, but down the line I think an improvement could do wonders
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Weapon improvement can work yes but I think you're forgetting something. This is a demo of a future full-fledged TC and I think most of the asked features will be implemented in that TC, at least if Marisa wants to add it in the future...
retronutcase

Post by retronutcase »

This demo was absolutely amazing and I want to play more. Oh my god I want to play more so bad.

Marisa, do you have any other mods/maps of note you've done? I'm dying to try more of your stuff if it exists.
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Well, I did MAP15 in 20 Heretics.
wangman9

Post by wangman9 »

hey there I'm having trouble running the game. This is the error I get https://imgur.com/a/rfseKmo

thanks in advance and thanks for all the hard work on the wad!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Can people PLEASE stop posting errors with severely outdated versions of GZDoom?

Update!
wangman9

Post by wangman9 »

I had the newest version on the site, it might be nice if the site mentions that anything but the latest dev build is severely outdated

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”