Deep Rising - Doom II story-driven TC

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
WojtTheDoomer

Deep Rising - Doom II story-driven TC

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Yes, I am making a new mod, my second to be honest. First there was LC which I cancelled, then Tyskie Islands which you can see and download here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=57243

And thus I thought it's time to make a new one! Introducing Deep Rising, a TC based on such classic games as BioShock, Far Cry 1 and Half-Life 1, this mod will put you in the shoes of an agent sent to investigate an underwater base which does research on mysterious ruins of what seems to be Atlantis.

The problem appears when a terrorist group known only as the N.W.S appears and kills all the staff , searching for the ruins. You and the only survivor - a security guard contacting you through a walkie talkie - are the only ones that can stop them from reaching the ancient mystery.

But the ruins might not be that abandoned after all...

What this mod will be:
I plan on making the mod medium-to-long in terms of playtime, with multiple puzzles, various enemies including humans, robots, and even supernatural creatures such as zombies. I want this mod to be a good experience for both novice and expert Doom players.

The mod's atmosphere will be a mixture of Half-Life, first Far Cry, and of course old underwater horror/action flicks.

I plan on including various particles and ambient noises, reloading, power-ups and lots of other stuff. Music will mostly be composed of ambience.

Date of release:
Not quite sure yet. This mod is in works since september of last year, and it's still in works. I am putting all the effort I can into it, and any help is welcome.

So overall tell me what you think, and is it overall good-looking as of now? Would anyone want to see a beta version once I'll finish two first levels to play?
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Deep Rising - Doom II story-driven TC

Post by ramon.dexter »

Ahh, very nice :)
Korell

Post by Korell »

The premise and the screenshots seem pretty interesting to me, though the last two screenshots don't seem to have the right lighting effects when compared with the others.
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Korell wrote:The premise and the screenshots seem pretty interesting to me, though the last two screenshots don't seem to have the right lighting effects when compared with the others.
Yes, I noticed that too. Lightning seems to be my problem at this moment and Im solving it.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Nice project! It's a shame it isn't indeed based on teh 90s horror flix by the same name with Trent Willians :wub:
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

The final boss better be the Octalus. Sexy looking screenies!
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Cherno wrote:Nice project! It's a shame it isn't indeed based on teh 90s horror flix by the same name with Trent Willians :wub:
Believe it or not...It kinda is. Some of the architecture was based on it's setting.
olzhas1one

Post by olzhas1one »

The screenshot before the last one looks like something straight out of a Half-Life game. Definately can see some inspiration there
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

To be honest now Im thinking about making this mod much more expanded - with you doing various missions around the world to stop the organization, with only the first "act" taking place in the Triton base. It would give me much more area to get creative.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

WojtTheDoomer wrote:To be honest now Im thinking about making this mod much more expanded - with you doing various missions around the world to stop the organization, with only the first "act" taking place in the Triton base. It would give me much more area to get creative.
I suggest you keep your scope small, last thing you want is feature creep. It does a project bad.

But feel free to expand if you wish.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Cherno wrote:Nice project! It's a shame it isn't indeed based on teh 90s horror flix by the same name with Trent Willians :wub:

Wow, someone actually remembers that movie. Far better than its reputation. :wub:
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

I suggest you keep your scope small, last thing you want is feature creep. It does a project bad.

But feel free to expand if you wish.
Of course I don't plan this mod to be too big, it will be 14-maps max. I'll need to rework some of the already done Triton base maps, there will be 4 of them in total in the mod, and one ofthem is already 99% done. To be perfectly honest the third Triton map is also done, but I must fix it's lightning.

The next missions I have in plan will take place in a desert, in a snowy land (possibly Russia or Antarctic) and in Europe, with each "climate" getting only one or two maps, not to get myself overworked. I'll also possibly re-use some of the "beta" Triton levels I decided to scrap, fix them and turn them into possibly various bases in these regions.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

I'll definitely keep an eye on this.

Nice work so far!
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Okay people. I decided to change the mod's story and overall style. Sadly for some reason I can't really edit te original post so I'll just make a new one.

Here's the new plot, everyone:
The year is 2022. Just when the world thought that everything was bad enough, a new violent non-state actor known as the Society Of New Warriors appeared. They seem to be growing dangerously in numbers, and are threathning to enslave the whole world under their doctrine. It is up to you, a lonely agent of the United Nations to stop them. The game will put you through various missions - from underwater bases to African deserts, while you face the mysterious enemy. They seem to be interested in finding several artefacts and using them for something.

Also the maps will go through a drastic change, being more like Call Of Duty 1, or some other game, as in every map, or I should say mission, will take place in a different place around the globe with you having to do something, such as infiltrating a base, etc.

I currently plan some of the missions to take place in Latin America, Africa and Europe.
Last edited by WojtTheDoomer on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Looks cool can't wait to see how it goes.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”