Splatterhouse 3D TC - 3 Episodes!

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Enjay

Re: Splatterhouse 3D - Episode 1

Post by Enjay »

ImpieTwo wrote:-Fixed that annoying error that replaces all the monsters midway through. Should now be all Splatterhouse, all the time.
Should be:

Isn't always :(

(quick kick to show it is the new version)
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Okay, new-NEW version up that should have all the monsters back to normal. Pretty sure those were the only ones I missed. Odd since I did a find-replace and it didn't catch those particular guys.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

On a quick check in the church area, it seems fine now. :D
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Another much more minor thing (which you may have noticed):

Code: Select all

Script warning, "splat3d.pk3:bdoom_sh.wad:BW_PLAS" line 91:
Tried to define class 'PlasmaBall1' more than once. Renaming class to 'PlasmaBall1@splat3d.pk3@bdoom_sh.wad@BW_PLAS'
[edit] Oh, and while I'm at it, this bothered me more than it should (perhaps it is meant to):

This blue skull switch needs a blue keycard to activate it:

and, fairly nearby, this blue-card marked door actually needs a blue skull to open it:

ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Enjay wrote:Another much more minor thing (which you may have noticed):

Code: Select all

Script warning, "splat3d.pk3:bdoom_sh.wad:BW_PLAS" line 91:
Tried to define class 'PlasmaBall1' more than once. Renaming class to 'PlasmaBall1@splat3d.pk3@bdoom_sh.wad@BW_PLAS'
Yeah, I've noticed that since early builds and I can't find what it's talking about to save my life...
[edit] Oh, and while I'm at it, this bothered me more than it should (perhaps it is meant to):
Weird, I musta mixed them up without ever noticing. I'll swap 'em in the next update.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

ImpieTwo wrote:Yeah, I've noticed that since early builds and I can't find what it's talking about to save my life...
The file BW_PLAS inside the BDoom_SH.wad file in your PK3 defines an actor called PlasmaBall1. The problem is that GZDoom already has an actor of that name (it's the green version of the player plasma bullet fired by the press release version of both the plasma gun and the BFG). The one in BDoom_SH.wad should be renamed to something else, as should any instances where that actor is called by other actors (though I think it's only used by the plasma rifle defined in the same file) and perhaps any other instances that might exist (e.g. in gldefs).
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Enjay wrote:
ImpieTwo wrote:Yeah, I've noticed that since early builds and I can't find what it's talking about to save my life...
The file BW_PLAS inside the BDoom_SH.wad file in your PK3 defines an actor called PlasmaBall1. The problem is that GZDoom already has an actor of that name (it's the green version of the player plasma bullet fired by the press release version of both the plasma gun and the BFG). The one in BDoom_SH.wad should be renamed to something else, as should any instances where that actor is called by other actors (though I think it's only used by the plasma rifle defined in the same file) and perhaps any other instances that might exist (e.g. in gldefs).
So I could rename it PlasmaBall2 and it shouldn't affect anything?

Honestly most of the stuff in that file I don't use at all, I just don't know what I can delete to reduce file size, and what needs to stay so the fist, ssg, and saw work correctly, in the event of shared assets.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

ImpieTwo wrote:So I could rename it PlasmaBall2 and it shouldn't affect anything?

Honestly most of the stuff in that file I don't use at all, I just don't know what I can delete to reduce file size, and what needs to stay so the fist, ssg, and saw work correctly, in the event of shared assets.
That wouldn't be a good choice because GZDoom also has a PlasmaBall2 already [wiki]Classes:PlasmaBall2[/wiki]. Just rename it to something that you know will be unique (e.g. ImpieTwoPlasmaBall1) and make sure that anywhere else in the code also uses the updated name. Like I said, I think it's only used in the plasma weapon (3 times) in the same file (and I don't think that's even used in the mod) so it's not that important to rename the places where the actor is called from (i.e. the weapon code) but if you don't, and for some reason you decide to enable the weapon at some point, it will be trying to fire the built-in PlasmaBall1 actor, but the actor won't work properly unless you include the resources needed by it, and your one will be completely ignored by the weapon.

[edit]PlasmaBall1 is also mentioned in the gldefs and decaldef files inside BDoom_SH.wad so it really should be renamed there. This isn't throwing up errors because GZDoom will just be using those entries to redefine how things are applied to the built-in PlasmaBall1 - which is unlikely to be appropriate... or it would be if the actor was actually used in your mod. [/edit]

This is the difficulty with importing mods wholesale into other mods. You're going to get resources and code that you don't need included and sooner or later there will be a conflict of resources. It takes longer, and it's more difficult (and can involve some real head-scratching), but pruning out the unneeded stuff and only including what you need is a better approach and, once it's done, leaves a neater, easier to navigate mod with (presumably) a smaller overhead and a smaller download too.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I started using classnames that are sure to be unique to my mods, by putting an abbreviation of the mod name in front of it, such as SH_Plasmaball.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

I tried to fix the fist but I'm not happy with it. I'm not a good enough sprite artist to match the colors or remove the forearm hair. Makes him look like he went tanning with sleeves down to his elbows.
Attachments
RFI2A0.png
RFI2A0.png (14.92 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
fist test 2.jpg
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

While, obviously, the problems that you point out are are definitely there, I think it looks better than the cut-off version. With any luck some kind soul with the necessary skills could perhaps improve it.

[edit]
Is there nothing from here that you could use?

https://imgur.com/a/0WwW0

Some of the punches come from the bottom of the screen rather than the side so the cut-off issue simply wouldn't exist, not matter how wide screens get.

I think these were all uploaded by torridgristle.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Nah, I have those, and only the ones based on Hexen Fighter look right. Rick's a brick shithouse when he wears the mask, so the arm has to be huge.
Korell

Post by Korell »

There are two at the bottom of the Doomguy Hands section that might fit (the ones that look similar to yours in the above images). Alternatively, you could apply a darkening filter to the upper arm until it has the same kind of colour as the lower part of the arm and the hand.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Korell wrote:There are two at the bottom of the Doomguy Hands section that might fit (the ones that look similar to yours in the above images). Alternatively, you could apply a darkening filter to the upper arm until it has the same kind of colour as the lower part of the arm and the hand.
That's the fist I actually used. I've recently added the fighter's arm so it looks better widescreen.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

All right, am I the only one seeing this glitch in the starting room of Level 4? Left is how it looks in GZdoom Builder. Right is how it looks in-game. What the hell is causing this?
Attachments
pic glitch.png

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”