[v2.0] The Adventures of Square: EPISODE 2: GALACTIC LUNACY

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Turret49

Re: [v2.0] The Adventures of Square: EPISODE 2: GALACTIC LUN

Post by Turret49 »

Captain J wrote:Well, you can jump on that right short platform and make your way through. I thought that was easy.
Jumping to the right platform has a high chance of a stalactite killing the player as well, unless they jump from the very far right side of the ledge.
To not die I ended up jumping to the low platform on the left (away from the stalactites and the two passageways), it's unintuitive and really has to be a mapping error, should be fixed.
Gez

Post by Gez »

reikall wrote:I don't know! :lol:

It only works in software mode, and it's kind of glitchy. I have an all-black voxel model, and then I spawn another actor with the color model on top of it. I'm a terrible programmer and don't know how the software renderer really handles voxels, but two models in the same space puts one entirely on top of the other one on-screen, in this case giving the illusion of an outline. Unfortunately, the black model just completely covers the color one in hardware mode.
Ah yes, I see.

Software renders voxels kind of in the same way it renders sprites, without culling or checking for clipping. This can result in a lot of glitches with complex, convex models, but it enables this fake cell shading here to work.

Hardware convert voxels to models and renders them properly as tridimensional objects, so the larger all-black model ends up completely enveloping the color model.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

reikall wrote:Put me down for a figurine or ten.

I figured I'd share something I was playing around with.
Okay THAT's bloody awesome.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Holy cheese, batman! That's absurdly well-done. O_O

The outline trick is cool, though yeah, that does monkey-wrench the idea a bit since it's fundamentally incompatible with GL. I suppose we could try and feature suggest something -- like a "render this inside-out" feature would do the trick, but that seems oddly specific and it's still annoying having to spawn an outline actor anyway (unless there's some way to replace a single sprite with two voxel models overlaid -- a sister suggestion?).

Just musing.
reikall

Post by reikall »

Thanks, guys!

If, say, voxeldef could replace a single sprite with two voxel models (and be able to specify a render style and alpha value for each), that would make my life so much easier that I can't even tell you. That ovolt would be difficult, maybe impossible to finish without it. I guess I'll make a topic in feature suggestions.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

That sounds cool. And i really hope there are ways to make voxel models really easily.
Revae

Post by Revae »

Those voxels look pretty gat dang amazing, man.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

reikall wrote:I don't know! :lol:

It only works in software mode, and it's kind of glitchy. I have an all-black voxel model, and then I spawn another actor with the color model on top of it. I'm a terrible programmer and don't know how the software renderer really handles voxels, but two models in the same space puts one entirely on top of the other one on-screen, in this case giving the illusion of an outline. Unfortunately, the black model just completely covers the color one in hardware mode.
That works solely because in the software renderer the voxel is projected similarly to a sprite in 2D and with no depth buffer the second layer will just be put on top of the first. Neeless to say, this can never ever work in the hardware renderer, no matter what you try, because the outline is not a 3D object.
Jeans44

Post by Jeans44 »

This game is amazing, the levels, music, art everything is great guys.
Can't wait for more, I'll be playing these new levels for awhile though, Thanks for the great game!
reikall

Post by reikall »

If anyone would like to see my voxels, I'll share what I have for now. It's only about 130 models. I'm basically just hoping the devs take a look and tell me if they imagined anything differently or see any problems. I know what's there is pretty inconsistent and I don't recommend anyone actually play using this (especially not in GL), but nitpicking and programming help are welcome.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/r591rcey1 ... arevox.pk3

Square makes me feel like a kid again. Thank you so much for making it.
hammer oz

Post by hammer oz »

Man having a blast for episode 2 however so far I am completely lost on the map with multiple teleporters at the start. I cannot find where i need to go to use the pyramid key and I am pretty sure I have looked around the whole map in areas that i can access :(
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

reikall wrote:If anyone would like to see my voxels, I'll share what I have for now. It's only about 130 models. I'm basically just hoping the devs take a look and tell me if they imagined anything differently or see any problems. I know what's there is pretty inconsistent and I don't recommend anyone actually play using this (especially not in GL), but nitpicking and programming help are welcome.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/r591rcey1 ... arevox.pk3

Square makes me feel like a kid again. Thank you so much for making it.
Hi reikall, I am absolutely and unequivocally in love with what you've done here. The Square NPCs are presently my favorite thing ever, and the ovolts, chatterboxes and angle fish look superb!! I also love the tritankle and color cube - you really put some care into their death states. :D I also really love the telescope and the TNT crates - feels great having those there. I'd be very very interested to see what you do if you plan to do more - the armors and the rest of the health pickups in particular I'd look forward to. :)

One thing I noticed as a possible issue was the ceiling lamps. They clip into the ceiling just a small amount, and it looks like there's a bit of bleedthrough on their underside.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 121122.png

Another thing was this chair seemed to have a black line going across it. Only seemed to occur on this chair on top of Square's house - the one inside looked okay, so that seems a little odd.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 121122.png

I honestly can't tell you how awesome it is to see my and Captain J's sprite work rendered in this way - everything feels so much more "present". Fantastic work. I'm very glad the game has been enjoyable and inspiring for you! Thanks for doing this!
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

hammer oz wrote:Man having a blast for episode 2 however so far I am completely lost on the map with multiple teleporters at the start. I cannot find where i need to go to use the pyramid key and I am pretty sure I have looked around the whole map in areas that i can access :(
The keys are all used in their respectively colored buildings. You'll need to find the yellow building - head through the orange one first and it'll lead you there. (Note that this progression will be changed, as a few aspects of E2A3 have been raised as possible navigation issues.)
reikall

Post by reikall »

I'm definitely going to do more of them, but I had to take a little breather after running into a few too many problems.

That chair problem almost makes me think the renderer might handle large voxels by chopping them into chunks and stacking them.
namsan

Post by namsan »

Hello, I'm really enjoying The Adventures of Square.
I found a bug:
If Square was using Angel sphere when he completed level, he can get killed from enemies near the end of level, while player is in result screen.
I experienced this bug in E2A3.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”