[New download demo 1.0.1 available] Paradise Rebirth

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

[New download demo 1.0.1 available] Paradise Rebirth

Post by gwHero »

Update info

March 23, 2020: Demo version 1.0.1 ready for download.
Spoiler:
Installation info:
Spoiler:
Official screenshots demo version:
Spoiler:
Previous updates:
Spoiler:
Info

'Paradise Rebirth' is a game that’s being made for the GZDoom engine. Since modern games tend to evolve to realistic or even hyperrealistic, leaving less room to imagination, I decided to give it a try in creating my own game in a large abstract world scenery.

Game characteristics:
Single player exploration/puzzle game
(with no fighting so if you only like slaughtering demons this might not be the game for you but yes I do like killing monsters in Doom)

Progress
First development phase March 2017 - October 2018.
Second development phase February 2020 - as long as it takes :-)
Demo release 1.0.0 March 14, 2020 Map01-02
Demo release 1.0.1 March 23, 2020 Map01-02 (update)

Old Screenshots
Spoiler:
Disclaimer
Please note that all info posted here may be subject to change.

Credits:
Spoiler:
Last edited by gwHero on Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Soul Sucka

Re: [WIP] MooD

Post by Soul Sucka »

I love the simplistic plain colours for textures, and the geometry doesn't even look like Doom engine stuff! Definitely excited for this.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

I honestly expected this to be a mod that mirrored everything in the game.

The aesthetic is really neat and I'm excited to see where this goes.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Looks very cool, the aesthetic is top notch :)
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

In love with what your screenshots show, I will be very eager to download this when it comes out. Good luck with the development!
gwHero

Post by gwHero »

Thank you all for the encouraging feedback. I really hope that when I release the game, people will enjoy it as much as I did in creating it.

The good news is that a great part of the scripting is done, so for the upcoming months I will be able to focus mainly on the mapping aspects: story, scenery, actors and such.
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

Definitely excited for this. It looks very unique and inspired!
ReX

Post by ReX »

This has a fabulous visual appeal, with an excellent color palette and simple lines.

Best wishes!
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Very interesting premise! I'm looking forward to walking the path!
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

i absolutely love thsi look! again as action oriented as i am i wish someon make an action game out of this style
i offer my spriting skills help if you want... i am starting to learn how to make weapon sprites
gwHero

Post by gwHero »

Again I am very pleased with the comments. I started this because being occupied with creating a game is one of the most satisfying things to do in my spare time, but now the first screenshots are received so well it really motivates me even more.
shadstarn wrote:i absolutely love thsi look! again as action oriented as i am i wish someon make an action game out of this style
i offer my spriting skills help if you want... i am starting to learn how to make weapon sprites
Thanks for the offer :) I'll keep that in mind. At the moment I have some sprites created but I have to find out for myself which kind of sprites best fit in the environment, but this is an aspect for which I haven't made up my mind yet. I'm very busy with environment & scenery at the moment.

The game btw. will not lean heavy on action, exploring will be certainly as important.
ReX

Post by ReX »

gwHero wrote:... exploring will be certainly as important.
My kind of game, then.
gwHero

Post by gwHero »

Some technical info.

Renderer.
At this moment, it's only possible to run the game in GZDoom OpenGL. Unfortunately I had to stop keeping it compatible with the software renderer. There are some features the software renderer does not support, like flat sprites and 3d slopes. However, the developers added free mouselook after I started creating MooD, so who knows what else they have in stock for us, it will take quite some time before this game will be released.

Performance.
I myself really hate it when games are laggy, so I closely monitor the frame rate. I 've made so many mistakes in previous mods I worked on that I finally know how to keep performance acceptable. And I don't hesitate to kick out nice features that cost too much.

Iwad
MooD has it's own Iwad, so it's not necessary to have a Doom Iwad. It uses no Doom resources; only GZDoom itself is required to play.

Information Screens.
The game will have separate information screens, like an inventory screen, a photo album and a history overview of messages and story. To avoid remembering too many keys, I'm currently adding buttons and mouse support (see attached screenshot). (credits to the GZDoom developers for creating ZScript, because I don't think I would have managed this with ACS only).
ReX

Post by ReX »

gwHero wrote:MooD has it's own Iwad, so it's not necessary to have a Doom Iwad. It uses no Doom resources; only GZDoom itself is required to play.
Holy crap! That's a boat-load of work. I take my hat off to you.
gwHero

Post by gwHero »

ReX wrote:
gwHero wrote:MooD has it's own Iwad, so it's not necessary to have a Doom Iwad. It uses no Doom resources; only GZDoom itself is required to play.
Holy crap! That's a boat-load of work. I take my hat off to you.
Thank you kindly! But again also credits to the devs here that have add so many features to the engine that make all this possible.

Yes, it's a lot of work but so much fun and satisfying to do :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”