DooM - The Caronte´s Portal

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rolls

DooM - The Caronte´s Portal

Post by Rolls »

Caronte title
Caronte title
Greetings friends.
A long time ago (Like 9 years ago) I started one project by myself, one mod called –DooM: The Caronte´s Portal-. The project was never finished, but because the lack of time, I couldn´t go ahead with it by myself.
Also, the idea for the project is too much big for one only person.

Here I let you one trailer of the old mod. Don´t guide yourself by the poor quality of it, as I said I did it 9 years ago:

Now, after a long time without post in this forum, I wanted to come back to this project to don´t let it die, but knowing that everything improved so much in the world of ZDooM, I want to restart from the beginning the project, just getting the main ideas that I had, the ones that I think are good, but restarting the project because my skills at that time was not enough good to work in that big task, and I really need help to start again.

I want to find people that is interested in it and is willing to work with me on it, so I will tell you a little about the idea for the Mod.

Depending on the reception I would like to go further with it. I also want to say that anything is susceptible to change.

Here I just show my old idea, and if finally we can put together a team to work on it, we can talk about the direction of the mod.

-The Mod intention-

The idea of this Mod is to create one completely New Doom, bringing a new chapter in the adventures of DoomGuy, but keeping the classic style. As if after Final Doom, ID software released a new official sequel.

The idea is to continue with the classic Doom Style, but add new monsters, weapons, textures, environments… adding all these things, but keeping the essence of the original games.

To explain it in a few words: Imagine that just one year after Doom 2 they released Doom 3 with the same engine but new cool improvements. That is the idea.

By my surprise, recently I found an old threat that bring an idea so similar, is this: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54160

The idea was "Classic Doom III", and I really love the art that he work on for it, just that he don´t have an story for the mod. So I think the two ideas are totally compatible. Something like Doom II: Hell on Earth; this could be Doom III: The Caronte´s Portal. Just an idea.
I also love the fiend sprites he was working on.
The problem: the user don´t exist now, and I don´t know how to find him :cry:

-The Story- (in a few lines)
Spoiler:

-The Levels-
Spoiler:

-The enemies and weapons-
Spoiler:
Conclusion:

What I´m searching is people interested in the project to we can work together on it.

I know that many projects appear and die in a few posts in this forum, but my intention is to take this really serious.
As I said before, I´m open to everything. I just want to can collaborate with some of you. I know that ZDoom forum is full of amazing artists and experts. I also know that most of the people is already working in some other projects and that the time is something important.

So by the moment I´ll continue working on different things by myself and I will be showing it in this thread. And if someone join, we can work together on it.

Thanks for your attention! And for your patience to read this long text! ;)
Rolls

Re: DooM - The Caronte´s Portal

Post by Rolls »

I want to start showing you the two new monsters that I was working on now (still WIP):

- The Dark Marine: A marine possessed by evil spirits from hell. Is supposed to be a much stronger version of the shotgun guy.
Spoiler:
- Druden: A strong demon, more powerful that a Baron of Hell, but that normally use a melee fight (I take the name from a classic German demon, but the name could change if we find something cooler) – The sprites are based on the golem from Heretic for the body, and the head is based on the Goat demon from the game Crossed Swords.
Spoiler:
As I said, both still WIP, so I will work more on them to can arrive to a better quality.

I have also several creature sprites that was meant for HeXen, but some can be used in Doom Style also, like this for example

I will upload more soon.
Last edited by Rolls on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rolls

Post by Rolls »

Textures:
Mainly are based on the original DooM Textures, but adding snow and ice based in Blood and Hexen.

Dead Marine
Dead Marine
VGA

Post by VGA »

The important thing is for the maps to be fun and interesting.
Rolls

Post by Rolls »

Yeah! I will work on it.
I´m currently working on the maps. Is a big task for only one person, that´s why I posted here, to see if someone was interested. But I understand that there are too many projects going on and the people don´t have enough time, or have more interest in other more advanced mods.

I would love to also do some coding to improve the gameplay, unfortunately I´m not good at code, just a begginer with it.

I´ll follow your advice and focus more in the maps by the moment :)
Taurustar

Post by Taurustar »

Hi Rolls so much time since I've seen you doing mods :) Glad you are back

Best wishes with this project... Also I'm still working on a big wad for HeXen, is not the Eternal Nightmare mod but it's very ambitious...
Rolls wrote:
I have also several creature sprites that was meant for HeXen, but some can be used in Doom Style also, like this for example

I will upload more soon.
I'm using your demon in my mod :) take a look when you have time. Also if you need help with levels I'm more than able to help you

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”