Project Einherjar / Midgard Outlaw - Commercial Version WIP

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ImpieTwo

Project Einherjar / Midgard Outlaw - Commercial Version WIP

Post by ImpieTwo »

This has been nagging me for a while, so now I'm ready to take the first steps and at least come out with it:

I want this to be a commercial project with all original assets before I continue any further development. Basically my plan is to swap all the mod assets for original ones, design a few more episodes, bundle the whole thing together as one big megawad project, and post it on itch.io or something like that. So the whole Winter Agent Juno game project would involve Juno bringing Drogo and his associates to justice, over the course of 10+ episodes -- the ones I already released for free (with a facelift), and several new ones.

The trouble is, whenever I do collaborations, big or small, I'm lucky if I ever hear back from my co-contributors. I can commission people, but the problem there is that whenever I approach someone for a commission, they tell me they'd rather focus on their own projects (even when they're known for doing commissions, wtf). Bascially my history with collaborations is a catch 22.

So when I have down time between other life things I'll be figuring this out. If nothing else, I have plenty of "prototype" content to show to prospective partners.

GENERAL
The way I figure it so far, I would be using Slade to assemble the final product, and probably bundle it with the Freedoom engine to make it a standalone (not entirely sure how Urban Brawl and Harmony did it). This way I can use the tools I know intimately, so production of game content won't really change much from my end.

LEVELS
This I have covered already, since I design them myself in GZDoomBuilder.

SPRITES/GRAPHICS
Some areas of this are trickier than others. Weapon graphics would be tough, although it'd be nice if I could get away with using the current weapons with a few more modifications since they're already heavily custom sprites (the legs courtesy of Marty, the guns heavily modified from Terminator Rampage thanks largely to Skelegant).

For character sprites, I think I would just need a collection of original base sprites that I could modify myself to make all the necessary characters: some from 8 angles, others from only one (bosses) or two (admins/civilians). This is the easiest thing for me to assemble a design doc for, and I'm already thinking of ways to pare the list of required characters down (current enemy count is 40+, and I can probably knock it down to 20 essentials). Might be able to do the same with textures.

Status bar and font, I'd be at a loss for, beyond bribing someone in the Doom community.

MUSIC/SOUND
Toughest aspect. I know a few actors I could commission or trade favors for to get all the voicework I want, and I have a decent database of free sounds, and other sounds I could probably ask permission to use.

Music is another matter entirely. Music is the center of everything I do, and it has to be JUST EXACTLY RIGHT or it doesn't work. And again, the composer has to come through for me.

I'd probably leave sound/music for last.

DEBRIEF
Those are my muddled thoughts on the matter. If anyone has any insight, advice, or connections to contribute, please share. I can do a lot of this myself, but I need several key starting ingredients to work off of. Thanks for your time and attention. The zdoom community was actually responsive to this project from day 1, so I think they'd appreciate seeing this brought to fruition.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: Project Einherjar / Midgard Outlaw - Commercial Version

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Unfortunately, I really cannot help you on any aspect of the production. However, I really enjoyed Project Einherjar - even though I have yet to beat it, because damnit, there are just so many games to play nowadays - and I would be happy to purchase the commercial version when it comes out - especially if the price is right.

So best of luck! :)
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

If you want my opinion i love the resources you have now for the mod, but that's just me.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

armymen12002003 wrote:If you want my opinion i love the resources you have now for the mod, but that's just me.
You can't sell that commercially.

It's possible to make some high quality resources that fit the theme - and I am fairly confident that Impie has a fairly strong vision about how he wants things done.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

I know that i was just saying lol
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

I started a tumblr for posting updates about the commercial game project and the book series in general. I'll post updates at least once a week.

Whoever's a good original sprite/texture artist or sound design person, if you're down to help me convert these mods into original properties, shoot me a message and link me to samples of your stuff! Be sure to play the mods first so you know what I'm going for.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

I actually know a couple of people who could be able and willing to do original voiceovers. PM me if you're interested.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”