The Edge of Time - TPC (Beta 1.9r1 "Contra")

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
FireSeraphim

Re: The Edge of Time - TPC (New E2M6 Preview)

Post by FireSeraphim »

I thought I fixed that (admittedly Kinsie helped me out, the original coding for the intermission was his intermission code from an older version of meta-doom)
Alptraum
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: The Edge of Time - TPC (New E2M6 Preview)

Post by Alptraum »

I couldn't run the mod. I get this error. I am using GZDoom 4.0. What could it be?

theedgeoftime.pk3:zscript/adv_func/intermission_new.zsc, line 215: Function drawLF attempts to override parent function without 'override' qualifier
theedgeoftime.pk3:zscript/adv_func/intermission_new.zsc, line 233: Function drawEL attempts to override parent function without 'override' qualifier
FireSeraphim

Re: The Edge of Time - TPC (A minor but much needed update)

Post by FireSeraphim »

I have gone ahead and fixed a few problems. This is a minor update due to the fact that another project that I had on hiatus for a while has finally resumed development, as such you can expect development on this mod to sorta slow down for a bit. Sorry I didn't tell anyone about this a while back.
Spoiler: Beta 1.4
as usual you can find the latest update in the Opening Post
FireSeraphim

Post by FireSeraphim »

I had to go and fix a minor hiccup in the DL Link, now anyone can download it from google drive (hopefully)
Alptraum

Post by Alptraum »

Thanks a lot!
FireSeraphim

Re: The Edge of Time - TPC (another minor update)

Post by FireSeraphim »

I have once again updated this in light of a few oddities discovered in Zikshadow's playthrough of the current beta of TEOTPC. Beta 1.4 Revision 1 should be dowloadable in the Opening Post.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Very retrospective, very intense, very hardcore TC you made there! Classic arcade sound effects and the mechanics are very amusing to listen. And surprisingly, it suits with Doom! Extra items around each map are helpful in random situations because the enemies in the game are tough now. They drops extra bonuses that goes away quickly upon death. So that's a fun way to earn some score! Makes me think which weapon or items would be efficient to take down certain enemies!

I gotta say, this is probably the decent and successful arcade adaptation on doom you've ever done. Oh, and mind if i share some feedback with you? Hope the update is still going on;
Spoiler:
More feedback coming soon!
FireSeraphim

Post by FireSeraphim »

@Captain J: I appreciate your feedback, and yes there will be a rather huge update soon.
  • The leaf spawners basically inherit their code from their Hexen incarnation. I am kinda wary of tweaking that.
  • I tweaked the raindrops to be that way because I want them to be noticeable, as well as the rain audio. I can't for the life of me get the rain spawners to spawn rain at a satisfactory rate without severe FPS drops. The lack of clear and concise documentation on the realm667 rain spawner doesn't help (which I modified with the option to disable it via CVARS)
  • I been slowly going at making most props destroyable
  • There's nothing I can do about the "reload stopping bobbing" bug
  • There's nothing I can do about the radsuit not protecting from poison clouds without it breaking the game, the poison clouds for the most part inherit their behaviors from their Hexen incarnation and suprising the type of damage the poison cloud does is consider splash damage, which means if I try fixing that it would potentially cause the players to be immune to rockets
  • No, The Poison Cloud just spawns a bunch of lesser poison clouds
  • The Marksman Rifle already has a zoom function. For the love of god, just bind the default zoom key to use it!
  • The next update will nerf Imps a little bit
  • I don't think I did anything to the Revenants other than polishing their tracers
  • I thought they were fine for the most part
  • Balance reasons for the first one, the second one I can look into.
  • The Morph Ovum inherits it's code from it's Heretic Counterpart, I don't think there's anything I can do about that.
  • I'll see what I can do about the Argent Particle Cannon's chargeup but the entire animation is synced to it's charge up sound effect and I would have to make a slightly faster version of the sound effect if I sped the Argent Particle Cannon up, for both the normal state and it's special Turbosphere state
FireSeraphim

The Edge of Time - TPC (Yet Another Update, New Map included

Post by FireSeraphim »

I figured that now would be a good enough time to release the next beta of TEOTPC. As usual you should check the opening post for the latest download link.
Spoiler: Beta 1.5 "Time Pilot"
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Spoiler: here are some of my reply
Oh, and i have more Feedback.

- I appreciate that you removed the whole Select/Deselect Animations. But it also has own Disadvantage - When the current weapon i use depletes all the ammo, it instantly switches into other weapon. It gets worse when i spend all the ammo while firing automatic weapon, and automatically switches into BFG. Because it has no Deselect nor No-Ammo animation, i have to let the button go quickly as possible or i fire the BFG accidentally and have to wait until it fires off.

- And i see that you added some introduction strings on each hard difficulties, except Nightmare! one. It still displays vanilla "It isn't remotely fair" string.

- Now let's talk about Former Demolition Experts. Their rockets are fast, deals serious damage and even has splash damage because they're exploding warhead. Indeed. But the the time they aims takes like 0.5 milliseconds and basically would fire a rocket on sight unannounced. I think that's an overkill for the player.

- You can abuse certain mechanics of the game and literally farm the score - Pain Elemental's Lost Souls drop score items, although they get infinitely spawned from it. Also, Fire BFG in front of destructible wood props, like in the Forest. They'll give you a lot of score upon destruction. And sometimes it would make some BFG Balls static, floating up in the mid-air. It can hurt either enemies and the player.

- Why Arch-vile's Flame have to be extremely powerful? Just one touch from it, it'll shred you apart. Also it can be summoned by using Chaos Device and it's just Overpowered. Even the bosses can't handle its damage and just melts away.

I really appreciate for taking my humble feedback and implemented some to the TC. Much appreciated, and glad it's still updating! :D

EDIT 2: GOD GAVE ME THE STRENGTH. I never thought it's gonna be a long run, but it was. And i eventually beat this TC. It was Very challenging and chaotic in a good way. I beat it with Ultra-Violence Difficulty, maximum playtime is 22:22:11. And the Score is lo and behold, it's 28,071,400. Jolly Good.
Last edited by Captain J on Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alptraum

Re: The Edge of Time - TPC (Yet Another Update)

Post by Alptraum »

When this mod goes full version, it'll be real good ^^
FireSeraphim

The Edge of Time - TPC (Beta 1.6 "Scramble")

Post by FireSeraphim »

The Edge of Time - TPC (Beta 1.6 "Scramble")
Spoiler: Beta 1.6 "Scramble"
check the OP for the download link.
skdursh

Re: The Edge of Time - TPC (Beta 1.6 "Scramble")

Post by skdursh »

FireSeraphim wrote:The Edge of Time - TPC (Beta 1.6 "Scramble")
Spoiler: Beta 1.6 "Scramble"
check the OP for the download link.
It's saying I need to request permission to access the file.
FireSeraphim

Post by FireSeraphim »

@skdursh: Fixed the permission, now try downloading it.
skdursh

Post by skdursh »

FireSeraphim wrote:@skdursh: Fixed the permission, now try downloading it.
That fixed it, thanks! I look forward to checking out some of the changes and playing through the new level.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”