Beyond the Grave Wolf4SDL TC Released [V1.01 RELEASED NOW]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
gerolf

Beyond the Grave Wolf4SDL TC Released [V1.01 RELEASED NOW]

Post by gerolf »

After many years and many struggles, Beyond the Grave Version 1.00 is finally complete. Beyond the Grave is a Wolfenstein 3D/Doom based total conversion set in the late 19th century. You play as Sartana, a highly decorated ex-Union soldier and a feared Bounty Hunter, who was left for dead but returned as something otherworldly. Sartana will stop at nothing to get his revenge and discover his true purpose.

Some of the game's features include:

- High Res Graphics

- High Quality Sound & Music

- 20 highly detailed levels with map sizes ranging from 64x64 - 128x128

- 10 different weapons with primary and secondary attacks (that work like in Blood)

- Inventory Items

- A diverse range of enemies with improved AI

A ThunderEnema production.

Credits list in the menu. Just unzip and run the exe. Read the “Read This” section for game manual, which includes controls, story, etc. The game uses WASD and mouse but you can configure the controls to the keyboard only setup as well as manipulate the mouse speed and button layouts.

UPDATE: V1.01 RELEASED
An updated version is now available on Moddb and also on this post.

Version 1.01 Changes:

-A highly detailed .pdf game manual

-2 secret levels

-A new secret weapon

-2 new items

-Some new OGG music

-Various bug & mapping fixes

The manual details everything. Most questions can be answered in the manual now for any troubleshooting issues. This is NOT a ZDoom/GZDoom compatible game, and it is NOT compatible with ECWolf. Wolf4SDL is a stand alone port and the game uses a modified Wolf4SDL EXE that has been renamed for the game. You must extract the files to a folder and run the EXE to play the game. V1.00 saves are not compatible with V1.01. Delete V1.00 and install V1.01 instead.

UPDATE (1/2/2020):
A final update for the Wolf4SDL version of Beyond the Grave is now available on Moddb.
Moddb:
This update includes:

-Updated Game Manual

-New Secret Weapon

-Three new levels (including an all new Crypt level)

-Two new enemies

-Lots of easter eggs

-Can now be played at resolutions higher than 640x480/400

-New Demon Power

-Improved controls

-Several New Items

-And much, much more!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/beyond-the-grave

ANNIVERSARY EDITION (current version) Moddb:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/beyond-the-gr ... ds/btgv101

Facebook page:
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1 ... ent_filter

readthis.txt:
Spoiler:
THIS IS A STAND ALONE GAME. The entire file downloaded is required in its entirety to run the game. There is no further files necessary to run it and there are no other supported files or programs for it. The EXE is a modified Wolf4SDL EXE.
Last edited by gerolf on Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Beyond the Grave Wolf4SDL TC Released

Post by Rachael »

I don't really consider this off-topic; Wolfenstein is pretty close to the Doom community and one of our own even develops a source port for it with bits of ZDoom code.

So I am going to move this to TC's.
gerolf

Post by gerolf »

Thanks, Rachel. I just wanted to be sure I didn't post it in the wrong section, and I really appreciate you doing that.

If anyone has downloaded prior to this post here, I have updated the link. The previous link had a bug we didn't catch until the last minute.
Zaratul

Post by Zaratul »

This TC is compatible with ECWolf?
gerolf

Post by gerolf »

No. It is a stand-alone game TC. This project started before ECWolf existed, and the game would have no benefit on ECWolf that it doesn’t have on Wolf4SDL, because the game is a total conversion and plays more like Blood/Heretic than traditional Wolfenstein 3D.
Doominer441

Post by Doominer441 »

I'm having a problem that makes the game unplayable. The game will just randomly close itself for absolutely no reason. No crash, no error, nothing. It just closes itself instantly. It happens randomly while I play it, but only if I'm moving around. If I stand still, it doesn't close.
gerolf

Post by gerolf »

What was happening the moment it crashed and how long until the game crashed? You’re the first person to experience this.
Doominer441

Post by Doominer441 »

Well, I ran it in windows 8 compatibility mode, and that seemed to fix it. But to answer your questions, the moment it crashed the game immediately closed as if I had just pressed Alt+F4, no freeze, no slowdown, nothing. And it crashed after about five seconds of fidgeting around with the arrow keys to test it. I think its a problem on my end, because its working now.

Also, why do the peacemaker cultists stand on the ceiling?
gerolf

Post by gerolf »

Okay that’s good that you figured it out!

Oh, and those guys aren’t true cultist, they’re more like mutants, and they just cling to the ceiling, and some of them don’t (they can’t go outside either, and can only stand on actual ceilings). The real cultist look different from them, and sound more like real people than those guys do. A pdf manual is being made that’ll have information on the enemies, and will be posted on the Moddb page, which we hope to have ready soon!
Legend

Post by Legend »

This is pretty cool. Tough though. I still can't get out of the first level or find a gun.
gerolf

Post by gerolf »

Hint: the first level has no gun, but you will get your gun in level 2, at the start, and the doors that are “inaccessible” are just that, there is no way to get through them, as the first level becomes a hub level later on a few times to access other areas of the game, where you return to it, and those doors then are accessible.

Use the machete only when you really need to, and swerve around when using melee attacks. There’s the fists, and also pressing “F” kicks. Once you reach the second level, you will find a gun, more than one gun, and even more guns if you find secrets for them. However, level one is purposely designed to have no gun in it.

Also, don’t forget to take advantage of weapon altfires (press or hold the altfire button) when you do get the guns.
PLA

Post by PLA »

I am astonished by the quality of this game, this is definitely the best Christmas gift for me this year, imaging this game being released in the 90s, it would become a hit!

Note: to anyone crashes within few seconds in the game, make sure to choose windows 8 compatibility mode for the executable, also make sure to enable all the compatibility options.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

This game is fabulous! definitely feeds my craving for BLOOD stuff.
gerolf

Post by gerolf »

An updated version is now available on Moddb and also at the download link provided on the first post. The update:

Version 1.01 Changes:

-A highly detailed .pdf game manual

-2 secret levels

-A new secret weapon

-2 new items

-Some new OGG music

-Various bug & mapping fixes

The manual details everything. Most questions can be answered in the manual now for any troubleshooting issues. This is NOT a ZDoom/GZDoom compatible game, and it is NOT compatible with ECWolf. Wolf4SDL is a stand alone port and the game uses a modified Wolf4SDL EXE that has been renamed for the game. You must extract the files to a folder and run the EXE to play the game. V1.00 saves and other files are not compatible with V1.01. Please delete V1.00 and install V1.01 instead.
Korell

Post by Korell »

If this were compatible with ECWolf then I'd try it no hesitation, but on Wolf4SDL I'm not so sure.
gerolf wrote:No. It is a stand-alone game TC. This project started before ECWolf existed, and the game would have no benefit on ECWolf that it doesn’t have on Wolf4SDL, because the game is a total conversion and plays more like Blood/Heretic than traditional Wolfenstein 3D.
Your user manual lists a LOT of cases of crashing (which has me a little concerned and is the main reason I've not tried this mod out yet), such as on music changes and when running above 640x480 resolution, yet I can run ECWolf at high resolutions with no issues. Your manual also says it runs best on Vista and Win7, but these are old OSes now, with Win8/8.1 and Win10 being released since, and ECWolf runs perfectly on my Windows 10 machine. So these would all seem to be benefits that ECWolf would have.

So are all these cases of crashing still happening with the latest version?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”