[RELEASE] Skulldash: Expanded Edition

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dragonfly

[RELEASE] Skulldash: Expanded Edition

Post by Dragonfly »

I present to you: "Skulldash: Expanded Edition"!

Download now:
https://www.joshuaosullivan.co.uk/skulldash/

WHAT'S NEW:

SCORING SYSTEM 
- Gain score by collecting tokens and killing enemies
- Score is multiplied by 2 if you get 100% tokens!
- Play on higher difficulties for more multipliers

21 NEW LEVELS
- 2 Bonus maps from original game have been replaced
- 19 NEW maps in the Community tier - 2 of which are intense boss fights, good luck!
- Including the hub map, there are 50 playable levels!

MAJOR LEVEL RE-WORKS
- Bosses have been improved
- Frostbound has had a major make-over
- General visual improvements on every level

HUB MAP IMPROVED
- Teleports to later tiers
- Brand new Community Tier
- 'Modern style' portals

OPTIONS ROOM ADDED
- Change your difficulty mid-game
- Remove reflections (lag reduction)
- View your high scores

CONTINUE SCREEN ADDED
- When you die you are given 5 seconds to re-try
- Let the countdown hit 0 to return to the hub map

PORTED AWAY FROM ZANDRONUM TO GZDOOM
- Much more features, etc.

HUNDREDS OF MINOR TWEAKS AND IMPROVEMENTS

SKULLDASH OVERVIEW:
Welcome to Skulldash, the fast-paced speedrun arcade mod For Doom II. The objective in skulldash is to collect the Skulltokens scattered around each level to unlock the exit.

While collecting the Skulltokens you have to race against the clock, as there is a time limit to beat – all while defending yourself from the hordes of monsters from hell.

FAST PACED GAMEPLAY:
While on the hunt for the hundreds of Skulltokens scattered across the various realms, you’re having to race against the clock! Failure to beat the level in the permitted time will cause you, the player, to be splattered into many pieces. Fear not, however, hidden throughout most levels are many secret areas containing blue Skulltokens, which add a precious five seconds to the clock.

LARGE LEVEL SELECTION:
With twenty standard levels, four boss levels, five bonus levels, a giant level-hub, a tutorial and ninteen community maps, you’ve got plenty of hours of gameplay available!

Skulldash takes you to many realms & locations, including but not limited to technical bases, aztec temples, icy caverns, in a submarine, on a series of treetops, in hell, a haunted mansion, a medieval castle, a jungle altar, high in the sky and even in space!

BOSSES, SECRETS & BONUS MAPS:
Every level has a plethora of secret areas, containing bonus equipment and Skulltokens – keep your eye out if you want to go for 100% completion – when you 100% a full tier of levels, you unlock a bonus level! At the end of each Tier (except the 1st) there is an action packed boss map.

Each boss is found in an environment crafted around their strengths and weaknesses. Bosses are often accompanied by hordes of hellspawn to assist them in taking you out. Prepare yourself to face the Lava Golem, the Dark Inquisitor, the Gate Keeper & the Overlord!

MAPPERS:
Dragonfly
- ALL MAPS, Except the following:

Capt. J3
- Water Facility

Slyor 64
- 1st half of Frostbound

Remmirath
- Token Refinery
- Mayan Mayhem
- Outpost 25/A Foundry
- Luminescence
- The Nightmare Realm
- The Skyhold

Dreadopp
- World Devastation

Tormentor667
- Sekhmet's Fury

Bauul
- Mournful Dawn

Jimmy
- The Cauldron

Xyzzy01
- Abstract Zone

AtroNx
- Molten Core

Poohlyash
- Whiteout

kyle2959
- Fight Club

SCRIPTERS:
Dragonfly
HexaDoken
Remmirath

RESOURCES:
Blastfrog
Realm667
Hexen II
Gothic DM
Scythe II
Blood
Skulltag
TheMisterCat
Scuba Steve
CC4-Tex
Xyzzy01
Dragonfly

MUSIC RESOURCES:
Jimmy
rock.freemidis.net
VGMusic.com
1024.wad
Scythe II
yakfak
Aion
Other WADs

BETATESTERS:
YellowTail
Tux
Dreadopp
HexaDoken
Eonfge
Parad0x
Blastfrog
antares031
Phade
leodoom85

SCREENSHOTS:
There's a hell of a lot of them, to view them, check out the Skulldash website, linked below.

DOWNLOAD NOW:
Skulldash Website:
https://www.joshuaosullivan.co.uk/skulldash/

Mediafire Mirror:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/jp6qvurz ... dition.zip
_mental_

Re: [RELEASE] Skulldash: Expanded Edition

Post by _mental_ »

Besides already known fact that your project is awesome I must say that it's pretty cool when mod of a great quality uses the latest version of the engine.
Not that "use 1.8.6/2.2.0/whatever or get off" kind of things.

I would like to report a minor issue found in MAP04: player won't be teleported back after falling in black void.
That's because thing #164 Teleport Destination is missing in Easy skill. Probably a very few people are playing on ITYTD or HNTR but I'm one of them.
Last edited by _mental_ on Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

Thank you _mental_ for the comments! Regarding the bug report, well, that's a shame it slipped through the cracks! I thought I'd fixed that one since it had been reported by the betatesters. I guess you'll just have to not fall off! ;)
Outtagum

Post by Outtagum »

I've only just got around to dabbling in this mod. It's a lot of fun and very polished. I wonder, though, if it's possible to add a slider for changing the alpha for the the HUD background. It's often quite hard for me to reading my time while in game. :)
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Are custom weapon and monster mods going to work here?
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

insightguy wrote:Are custom weapon and monster mods going to work here?
It's all pre-set, so no. But hey, railgun and BFG10k are in this, so don't complain.
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

Skulldash was not designed to work with any other mods; but you're welcome to try it out for yourself and see how it plays. Due to the way the maps were specifically balanced, if you play mods which typically increase the difficulty or mess with your movement speed it might not be possible to beat the maps in the allotted time for each map. Also there's some technical reasons that may prevent other mods from working:
  • Each enemy was replaced to add the scoring functionality so custom enemy packs may make you get substantially lower scores
  • Each weapon was replaced to work with the Spread rune
  • There's a lot of custom textures to hd texture packs would look inconsistent
  • The start of a map clears your inventory and gives you only a pistol. This might work poorly in mods which use your inventory extensively.
There may be more reasons additional mods don't work, but as said, try for yourself, your favourite mod(s) might just work fine!
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Using GZDoom 3.2 stable unless I'm missing something... the Promised Lands boss doesn't seem to appear.
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

Collect all of the tokens, he appears when you do so. The tokens are around the outer edge of the map, and the inner circle. Good luck!
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

_mental_ wrote:it's pretty cool when mod of a great quality uses the latest version of the engine.
Well some of us have trouble with the latest versions. Me having the most apparently, so I am forced to use 2.2.0 or older or else spend $$$ buying new shit just to play Doom.
Scubbo

Post by Scubbo »

rad thanks! can't actually download it though, the host isnt your home PC is it? so bad >_<
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

There's a mediafire mirror in the OP, Scubbo. Use that instead. Also, I don't have problems with the site.

EDIT: Oh, there isn't... I swear I saw one before. *shrugs*
EDIT2: I'm fucking blind hlep.
Last edited by Someone64 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

Nevander wrote:
_mental_ wrote:it's pretty cool when mod of a great quality uses the latest version of the engine.
Well some of us have trouble with the latest versions. Me having the most apparently, so I am forced to use 2.2.0 or older or else spend $$$ buying new shit just to play Doom.
I could bounce that back and say "Well some of us want to use new features." I understand your situation though, and it's a shame! You could try it in an older version of the GZDoom engine, it may work to an extent, although remains wholly untested by myself and the testing team on older versions.

Scubbo wrote:rad thanks! can't actually download it though, the host isnt your home PC is it? so bad >_<
No, it's paid-for hosting located in Amsterdam, if you're a decent distance away (US, Australia etc) then you might have a hard time keeping a stable / fast connection. Below I've quoted the OP, where you can download via Mediafire instead! :)
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

is the old release avaliable anywhere?
isaacpop23

Post by isaacpop23 »

Would making the retry screen work in multiplayer be an option, because as it sits, if one player dies then you cannot restart and all are kicked out. Both making it so others could keep going after one dies, and making the restart work would be helpful. Or is multiplayer simply not supported for this?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”