[WIP] - Doomguy THE Riptearer - Sonic 1/Doom Hybrid

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Blackgaze

[WIP] - Doomguy THE Riptearer - Sonic 1/Doom Hybrid

Post by Blackgaze »

Doomguy THE Riptearer (WIP title) is a mixture of DOOM and Sonic 1.

But wait a minute, Sonic projects have been done before.
Yes, that's true, but not quite like this.

This project is currently planned as a 22 map WAD that has levels based around the theme of the Sonic 1 Zones, and having Doomguy fighting demons from there. Unlike a standard level pack, this game will have slight alterations of its gameplay as well as other changes built in. For example, all non-weapons items will be replaced with Sonic related custom items and a possibility of newly designed Bosses added to the game, also based upon the Sonic 1 Bosses.

The Project is in very early into development, but I wouldn't be posting here if there's a good chance it won't be created. I've really enjoyed playing around with this, and I believe I can complete it, aiming for next year. More details will be posted here about the changes in good time, stay tuned.

For the meantime have some screenshots (ignoring alignments). I was going to keep the easter egg hidden, but it made me laugh too much to not show now.

spoone

Re: [WIP] - Doomguy THE Riptearer - Sonic 1/Doom Hybrid

Post by spoone »

Looks really cool. Are you gonna be able to do a spin dash in this lol?
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

Hmm, from screenshots and descriptions, it seems like Super Sonic DooM but with Sonic 1 style levels, I'm fine with this as I like SSD. :p
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Ooh, about time there is a spiritual successor to SSD. Also, highly appreciate changing COPE to UNF.

Top tier lulz.
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

I personally think "The Tearripper" has a more funny ring to it, but who am I. :p

Good luck on the project.
Blackgaze

Post by Blackgaze »

spoone wrote:Looks really cool. Are you gonna be able to do a spin dash in this lol?
it's standard DOOM gameplay with certain tweaks. I'm not trying to create a Sonic Robo Blast with this project.
PlayerLin wrote:Hmm, from screenshots and descriptions, it seems like Super Sonic DooM but with Sonic 1 style levels, I'm fine with this as I like SSD. :p
Ah, poo. I didn't know every Sonic Project, but SSD has features I was hoping to achieve. Obviously it's not quite the same, but still...
Please forgive me if some ideas might be similar if completed, this was no intentions to ripping this project off.
Scripten wrote:Ooh, about time there is a spiritual successor to SSD. Also, highly appreciate changing COPE to UNF.

Top tier lulz.
Could someone give me a history of SSD? I didn't know about the project, so I'm curious is there anything people would like that SSD didn't do.
Agentbromsnor wrote:I personally think "The Tearripper" has a more funny ring to it, but who am I. :p

Good luck on the project.
Again, WIP. It can't be something vanilla like "Sonic DOOM", the right title will come in good time
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

Blackgaze wrote:
PlayerLin wrote:Hmm, from screenshots and descriptions, it seems like Super Sonic DooM but with Sonic 1 style levels, I'm fine with this as I like SSD. :p
Ah, poo. I didn't know every Sonic Project, but SSD has features I was hoping to achieve. Obviously it's not quite the same, but still...
Please forgive me if some ideas might be similar if completed, this was no intentions to ripping this project off.
Scripten wrote:Ooh, about time there is a spiritual successor to SSD. Also, highly appreciate changing COPE to UNF.

Top tier lulz.
Could someone give me a history of SSD? I didn't know about the project, so I'm curious is there anything people would like that SSD didn't do.
I actually don't mind about if you do the same thing like SSD, but yes, maybe added something not in SSD would better. Also you should try SSD if you haven't(it still got updated weeks ago so you can run it on latest GZDooM, just some renderer tricks doesn't works well on GL renderer).

Since the TUD's website just dead on not a while ago so I can only use the Wayback machine link of SSD official page, but its info about using very old version of ZDooM just not true anymore, since TUD still update his WAD for running on latest G/QZDooM official version.
BFG

Post by BFG »

now someone must do sonic monster pack
Blackgaze

Post by Blackgaze »

PlayerLin wrote:
Blackgaze wrote:

Top tier lulz.
I actually don't mind about if you do the same thing like SSD, but yes, maybe added something not in SSD would better. Also you should try SSD if you haven't(it still got updated weeks ago so you can run it on latest GZDooM, just some renderer tricks doesn't works well on GL renderer).

Since the TUD's website just dead on not a while ago so I can only use the Wayback machine link of SSD official page, but its info about using very old version of ZDooM just not true anymore, since TUD still update his WAD for running on latest G/QZDooM official version.
Yeah I checked out SSD. I didn't like it, even as its own thing. The problem with these Sonic/Doom mash ups if that they're all open spaced freeroaming instead of tight level designs, which works better on the Doom Engine.
Maybe I'm also looking at it the wrong way, since how old it is, it must've seen more impressive by wad technology back then.
BFG wrote:now someone must do sonic monster pack
I was tempted to replace doom enemies with Badniks, but after the Spellcross project failed, I'm never working with massive amounts of Monsters again.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”