Touhou Doom - Episode 3.66 (Updated Re-Release)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby Untitled » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:44 pm

A few playtesters have mentioned that MAP12 is a huge performance crash, but you'd be the first to have significant issues on MAP15, especially if you're making sure to kill everything (which is the intent of the stage).

EDIT: Episode 3F has been released! This fixes:
-Episode I is now actually possible to finish on Easy Mode with cutscenes turned off.
-Episode II now has a protip to remind the player to try using altfire on the new weapons.
-Episode III has [REDACTED] made harder.
Last edited by Untitled on Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Untitled
 
Joined: 18 Apr 2013

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby GeneralDelphox » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:18 pm

Well I tested it on Zandronum 3.0 x32, and I didn't seem to have any performance issues on MAP15. I only seem to be having issues with MAP15 on GZDoom 3.2.1 x64.
User avatar
GeneralDelphox
 
Joined: 30 Sep 2017
Discord: #8387

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby muzzdiez » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:06 pm

Thank you for fixing the bugs!
I checked FROZEN property on MAP09 (with skip_cutscenes on and off), player spellcard declaration and alt-fire message - everything is OK now.

But since I got into deep research and playtesting as it was required to my newly added features (see below), I found a bunch of new bugs:
Spoiler:
...And at last, it may be a little offtopic, but I may say that your mod not only gave me some hours of great fun with bosses and their spellcards in the way I wanted this for so long (since I've found Dusted's Touhou Doom), but also made a significant thing to me: I went deeply learning ACS and DECORATE scripting in hope to enhance your Touhou DOOM in the way I wish to do this. =)

So, for now I've implemented some kind of score system as said before, and, of course, added boss health/spellcard indicators to every boss.
It was really interesting to look how everything has been done and try to do something like what I want. And yes, I lold of UtsuhoSubterraneanSunSun (and MarisaBlazingStarStar), and that thing of Satori 'telepathed' Sakuya's spell cards from player's mind (yes, she was then Sakuya, really) too!
So now I would like to publish it as an addon to your addon (yes, I've added a Touhou addon to Touhou addon to DOOM so one can play even more touhouish DOOM while playing touhouish DOOM!), of course, if it's OK with you.
I'll try to keep it in track with all of your updates, and you may feel free to pull any part of my work to your mod, as long as you consider it suitable (and then I'll remove it from my addon). As for current version, you may see it here (it contains music for score screen, so it's 30+ MB rather than several kB, as Zandronum does not understand ogg or mp3).
A bit of description follows (I'll create another thread on ZDoom forum when I hear your opinion on all that, so that description would reside there):
Spoiler:
Untitled wrote:I guess the issue with collecting items is that having to go around collecting items detracts from the otherwise very fast pace that Touhou Doom generally holds.
Yes, and because of that depleting points with time is vital idea, so one should collect them as quick as possible. (And yes, it may be reasonable to keep in mind that not every DOOMer may find this fast, 'running' style of gameplay nice: for me, thoughtful wandering through Magical Forest prior to fight with Alice was not a less joy than fighting bosses, so possibly keeping in mind not only 'runner'-style players' preferences, but 'collector'-style ones too may suit both sides.)
Untitled wrote:You got any recommendations for streaming software?
I use XSplit, because that's the only streaming software able to work on XP (upgrading to win7/8/etc is not an option, since I have a plenty of software that won't work there or require reconfiguration, and I'm too lazy and have not much time to just sat down one moment and perform that tremendous upgrade with reinstalling and reconfiguring and stuff). But if you are on Linux or Win7 or higher, you may consider using OBS: it looks like a de-facto standard in streaming/recording software.
GeneralDelphox wrote:Ah... Well I understand. Has anyone ever noticed MAP15 being a performance hog on the latest version of the mod?
Untitled wrote:A few playtesters have mentioned that MAP12 is a huge performance crash, but you'd be the first to have significant issues on MAP15, especially if you're making sure to kill everything (which is the intent of the stage).
I haven't encountered any performance issues on both MAP12 and MAP15, but there were major lags on MAP19 and MAP20 (Zandronum 3.0). I don't know why: MAP18 is four times bigger (because of plenty of trees: each tree is 12 sectors, 40 vertices, and 49 linedefs), but it does not feature such performance issues.
I wonder, if there is likely an overuse of 3D floors on trees in MAP19 and MAP20 (which is not a subject to any other map). May this be a source of lag?

For example, I think many trees on upper level may just be done without using 3D floors at all: sector which contains trees may have its ceiling level at top level of trees' leaves (It's not bad at all that such ceiling level is lower than shrine 'arena' one: no actor is supposed to be there, and no sector with higher ceiling height may be viewed behind that outer sector); trees' leaves may have ceiling at bottom level of leaves, and trunk may be solid, not a sector. Those trees on lower level may then use normal sector as trunk, and sector with 3D floor as leaves. For example, if we discuss right bottom tree of sector 2, I may expect sector #2 may have its floor..ceiling at 48..304, sector #917 at 48..200, and #923 will not exist, it'll be a void. And speaking of tree just near to discussed in sector 42, I may expect sector #42 at -336..306 (ceiling is equal that of sector #2, because we can see sector #2 from bottom of the stairs), sector #1847 at -80..306, and sector #1841 at -336..306 with 3D floor control sector of -184..-80. Well, I may speak unclear, but I've drawn a picture for reference of what I speak of: that's it.
User avatar
muzzdiez
 
Joined: 23 Nov 2017

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby Untitled » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:06 pm

3G is out.

Fixes:
-Tenshi's last card is less monumentally stupid; the laser has a sound-telegraph before firing, and the arena has terrain markers to make it less likely to fall off.
-Renamed Episode 3; "Welcome to the Gensokyo Tour" didn't actually fit on the screen on some monitors, so it's "Eternal Shrine Maiden".
-Shaved off 1.65 MB in filesize from Episode 3F by removing some unused assets that didn't need to be there.
Untitled
 
Joined: 18 Apr 2013

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby muzzdiez » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:25 pm

Wow, I've seen you also fixed Reimu's jump to GotoFinal and RumiaMoonlightRay's vulnerability before spell card declaration. Thanks!

Now I'll remove fixes of these two issues from my additional WAD prior to make release build for 3G version of your mod. (Yes, as you haven't said anything like you're against it, I've released a mod to your mod as some kind of "Advance Pack" - there's a thread now in Gameplay Mods section of this forum, if it matters).

And I tried to fight Tenshi in updated last spell stage: yes, this stone border does really help to self-control yourself from falling down from this arena (such occasions were very frustrating when you fall down being trying to avoid Tenshi's lasers just after you captured the spell; it seems like what is known as "suicide exit", but completely unintended). Thank you for this too!
User avatar
muzzdiez
 
Joined: 23 Nov 2017

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby MrToots » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:54 pm

Not sure if this is viable but a thought came to me
I think one of the latest GZDoom updates added Respawn mechanics right?
would it be possible to use that to add lives as a toggleable option?
User avatar
MrToots
 
Joined: 22 Sep 2017

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby Smashhacker » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:16 pm

A suggestion that would probably not make it to the final product, but I think it would be cool if Satori's spellcards after the first one are based on the various bosses in the Doom series (considering she is reading Doomguy's mind and all that).
Also is it shameless that I replaced the Hakurei chaingun sprites with that of ofuda plasma rifle used by JPCPGuy in Final Doomer?
Smashhacker
 
Joined: 31 May 2016

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby Untitled » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:58 pm

MrToots wrote:Not sure if this is viable but a thought came to me
I think one of the latest GZDoom updates added Respawn mechanics right?
would it be possible to use that to add lives as a toggleable option?

The way I view it, the ability to have an actual lifebar is equivalent to having lives - whereas in Touhou games lives/bombs are resources, in this bombs/health are the resources.
I'll consider it, but I can't guarantee more than that.

Smashhacker wrote:A suggestion that would probably not make it to the final product, but I think it would be cool if Satori's spellcards after the first one are based on the various bosses in the Doom series (considering she is reading Doomguy's mind and all that).

I wanted to do that, originally (I could write an entire essay on the design philosophy of Satori's fight in this thing). The problem is, inherently, the original Doom Monsters just aren't all that interesting, and they're inherently even less scalable; remember that I have four difficulties to handle, for each attack; a cyberdemon has *one* attack: Firing a salvo of rockets at you.

Smashhacker wrote:Also is it shameless that I replaced the Hakurei chaingun sprites with that of ofuda plasma rifle used by JPCPGuy in Final Doomer?

Not at all - I'm considering doing that myself, once I get permission from the Final Doomer people to do so.
Untitled
 
Joined: 18 Apr 2013

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby Smashhacker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:46 pm

Untitled wrote:
I wanted to do that, originally (I could write an entire essay on the design philosophy of Satori's fight in this thing). The problem is, inherently, the original Doom Monsters just aren't all that interesting, and they're inherently even less scalable; remember that I have four difficulties to handle, for each attack; a cyberdemon has *one* attack: Firing a salvo of rockets at you.

I mean having each spellcard based on each Doom boss or higher-tier demon, instead of all spellcards based off of one boss. You could take inspiration from the bosses and enemies in Doom 3 and 4, as those have been given much more attacks than their classic counterparts.
Spoiler:
Smashhacker
 
Joined: 31 May 2016

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby Untitled » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:53 pm

Smashhacker wrote:
Untitled wrote:
I wanted to do that, originally (I could write an entire essay on the design philosophy of Satori's fight in this thing). The problem is, inherently, the original Doom Monsters just aren't all that interesting, and they're inherently even less scalable; remember that I have four difficulties to handle, for each attack; a cyberdemon has *one* attack: Firing a salvo of rockets at you.

I mean having each spellcard based on each Doom boss or higher-tier demon, instead of all spellcards based off of one boss. You could take inspiration from the bosses and enemies in Doom 3 and 4, as those have been given much more attacks than their classic counterparts.

You're right, I could do that...
Spoiler: This is serious
Untitled
 
Joined: 18 Apr 2013

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby Patcheresu » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:11 am

Spoiler: Big Screenshot of My Errors


https://puu.sh/zK69T/f8e8985dab.png

So I get this error when I try and run this with Russian Overkill asking for a CUBE N missing rotation. Going into the files and creating a CUBEN0 appropriate file seems to fix it, I haven't tested too much. But I see nothing in your code or Russian Overkill's that asks for a file called CUBEN0, and no matter which order you load the two in the error persists. Strange. Now, how to package this into a compatibility patch...

Spoiler: Disregard this, I was using an old version.
Last edited by wildweasel on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Changed your img tags into urls - these are too large to be viewable on the forum layout. Please read the Image Posting Rules.
User avatar
Patcheresu
 
Joined: 02 May 2013
Twitch ID: patcheresu

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby Untitled » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:39 am

Well, I can't answer the 'CUBE N' thing, but the minor errors about invalid states are all fixed, thank you.
Untitled
 
Joined: 18 Apr 2013

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby Patcheresu » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:00 pm

So MAP02 was really dark for me, but I thought it was on purpose because it was night and because Rumia.

But the basement
Spoiler:
was almost pitch black and I couldn't honestly understand if it was purposeful or not. Then all the enemies activated and it turned into a slaughter map. I thought it was some kind of punishment for playing on Easy
Spoiler:
but then I got there on Normal and noticed things were the same.

Oh, I get the gimmick of the level now after messing around, it's on purpose I guess.
User avatar
Patcheresu
 
Joined: 02 May 2013
Twitch ID: patcheresu

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby muzzdiez » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:55 pm

Whoa, this thread is alive!
Smashhacker wrote:A suggestion that would probably not make it to the final product, but I think it would be cool if Satori's spellcards after the first one are based on the various bosses in the Doom series (considering she is reading Doomguy's mind and all that).
That reminds me of Patchouli's pet Arch-Vile in Dusted's Touhou Doom, but Untilited's Touhou Doom seems to be much more different from original DOOM itself: even legacy monsters use danmaku instead of regular weapons.
At least Satori can read mind, yes, but is she able to create things what she just read about?
Untitled wrote:Well, I can't answer the 'CUBE N' thing, but the minor errors about invalid states are all fixed, thank you.
Does that mean you updated the file in OP? I see the 3G release still there. Or release number did not change?
Patcheresu wrote:Then all the enemies activated and it turned into a slaughter map.
Just recall the end of first episode of original DOOM...
Well, speaking of me, I don't like such endings, because they don't allow me to achieve 100/100/100 result, which I consider the only suitable level result regarding to normal DOOM (except some levels like MAP15 in DOOM2, where you aren't able to get to one of secrets, for example). But here it's plot-based: really: you have to somehow die and go where you go in beginning of second episode.
Spoiler:
User avatar
muzzdiez
 
Joined: 23 Nov 2017

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Postby Untitled » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:35 pm

muzzdiez wrote:Whoa, this thread is alive!
Smashhacker wrote:A suggestion that would probably not make it to the final product, but I think it would be cool if Satori's spellcards after the first one are based on the various bosses in the Doom series (considering she is reading Doomguy's mind and all that).
That reminds me of Patchouli's pet Arch-Vile in Dusted's Touhou Doom, but Untilited's Touhou Doom seems to be much more different from original DOOM itself: even legacy monsters use danmaku instead of regular weapons.
The thing is, I don't want anything in here to turn into, strictly speaking, ordinary DooM - I want there to always be that frantic firefight; otherwise it's A: not Touhou, and B: you could easily play something different that does the same things I'm doing but better; just tour the Cacowards page.
muzzdiez wrote:At least Satori can read mind, yes, but is she able to create things what she just read about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMKtrs6xiEY&t=5m22s
muzzdiez wrote:
Untitled wrote:Well, I can't answer the 'CUBE N' thing, but the minor errors about invalid states are all fixed, thank you.
Does that mean you updated the file in OP? I see the 3G release still there. Or release number did not change?

It's not fixed in 3G - it's fixed in the WIP progress build I have; the minor issues about invalid states are all issues that don't actually affect the gameplay in any way, so I don't feel the pressing need to re-upload the build just to fix that.
muzzdiez wrote:
Patcheresu wrote:Then all the enemies activated and it turned into a slaughter map.
Just recall the end of first episode of original DOOM...
Well, speaking of me, I don't like such endings, because they don't allow me to achieve 100/100/100 result, which I consider the only suitable level result regarding to normal DOOM (except some levels like MAP15 in DOOM2, where you aren't able to get to one of secrets, for example). But here it's plot-based: really: you have to somehow die and go where you go in beginning of second episode.
Spoiler:

I mean to be fair, there's not even supposed to be a results screen for that map; if I left that in, that was my mistake. It's pretty much literally just a intermission to send you to Episode II, rather than a full map in its own right; if it was meant to stand on its own, I'd put a *bit* more effort into it.
Untitled
 
Joined: 18 Apr 2013

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Martix10, Semrush [Bot] and 6 guests