Page 2 of 13

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:59 pm
by Untitled
badcaradvice wrote:I played what would count was the original, and wasn't terribly impressed with it.

This, I am enjoying. I mean, it's nice to play DOOM with Touhou because I'm actually decent at DOOM. :V

Yeah, about 35% of the reason this thing exists is purely as a testament to prove that actually it's possible to make a Touhou Doom that's actually kind of fun to play (though sadly you'll need a better mapper than I to make one that looks that good).

insightguy wrote:I'm talking about that spider mastermind variant at the last episode. the one colored black with green eyes.

Are you sure you downloaded the right wad? While I hope I'm not coming off as condescending, the monster your described does not actually exist in my version of Touhou Doom, and also probably never will.

Also, again, this pk3 only has MAP01-MAP20 (plus 31 and 32), so also check your maps.

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:04 am
by insightguy
Huh, I might have been playing the older version (the one I found in another forum) I'll redownload this to make sure.

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:20 pm
by KiwitheWeh
Despite not having an interest in Touhou, this mod was a lot of fun. Though the writing really needs a going over. Grammar is an issue, but for how much time is spent on it, it's lacking. Doomguy feels like he should be the annoyed straight man to all the other characters, but there are times where he's weirdly on board with things. The secret maps being a pretty glaring example where he just decides he has to urgently go warn heaven despite the fact that every single person he has met so far has tried to fight him. There's also the fact that the boundary girl is pretty unlikable yet has the most lines and doesn't really allow for a chance of back and forth between other characters.

Maybe a touhou fan would appreciate that side of it more, but it was pretty annoying. The way the Extra Stage in episode 3 played out was frustrating.

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:36 pm
by Untitled
KiwitheWeh wrote:Despite not having an interest in Touhou, this mod was a lot of fun. Though the writing really needs a going over. Grammar is an issue, but for how much time is spent on it, it's lacking. Doomguy feels like he should be the annoyed straight man to all the other characters, but there are times where he's weirdly on board with things. The secret maps being a pretty glaring example where he just decides he has to urgently go warn heaven despite the fact that every single person he has met so far has tried to fight him.

The secret maps are about 75% non-canon, so :V
Also, congrats on actually finding them.

KiwitheWeh wrote:There's also the fact that the boundary girl is pretty unlikable yet has the most lines and doesn't really allow for a chance of back and forth between other characters.

Maybe a touhou fan would appreciate that side of it more, but it was pretty annoying. The way the Extra Stage in episode 3 played out was frustrating.

I'm really bad at writing jerk characters + forced linear storyline + trying to be faithful to the games = not great dialogue, in general.

The Boundary Youkai has a different case:
Spoiler: Background on the Boundary Youkai, Serious Spoiler Alert

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:12 pm
by KiwitheWeh
Untitled wrote:I'm really bad at writing jerk characters + forced linear storyline + trying to be faithful to the games = not great dialogue, in general.


Some more chatter between other enemies, especially post-fight back and forth could alleviate this. The Marisa fight and Extra Stage 2 fight was one of the better interactions in this regard. Even if you can't do much about making her dialogue better, diluting it could help.

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:58 pm
by Untitled
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

so it turns out Marisa still isn't actually possible to finish on Easy Mode

this has been rectified and actually tested on easy mode

link for Episode 3B is in the OP

(other news: I made a few bosses harder, because Lunatic mode should be precisely for lunatics and not ordinary crazy people)

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:14 am
by MrIcarus
Was just giving episode 2 a whirl and I assume that weapons are supposed to use P as ammo, only my P wasn't depleting and as a result, infinite ammo.

Was playing on normal difficulty and using ver 3.1.0 of GZDoom if that helps you figure out what the bug might be.

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:52 am
by QuakedoomNukem Cz
MrIcarus wrote:Was just giving episode 2 a whirl and I assume that weapons are supposed to use P as ammo, only my P wasn't depleting and as a result, infinite ammo.

Was playing on normal difficulty and using ver 3.1.0 of GZDoom if that helps you figure out what the bug might be.

It's meant to be that way. By collecting more P (power) cards, your weapons will get stronger, fire faster etc.

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:58 am
by MrIcarus
QuakedoomNukem Cz wrote:
MrIcarus wrote:Was just giving episode 2 a whirl and I assume that weapons are supposed to use P as ammo, only my P wasn't depleting and as a result, infinite ammo.

Was playing on normal difficulty and using ver 3.1.0 of GZDoom if that helps you figure out what the bug might be.

It's meant to be that way. By collecting more P (power) cards, your weapons will get stronger, fire faster etc.


OH! Good to know in that case.

I thought the berserk packs I was occasionally picking up were doing that. Just found it unusual that I was maxed out and I couldn't quite figure out how they were "spent". :-)

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:16 am
by leodoom85
By the way, this mod also works on Zandronum 3.0 if anyone wants to know....

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:37 pm
by leodoom85
Also, is it possible to add an extra skill or an add-on that all attacks can kill you in one hit?

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:47 pm
by MrToots
First , I wanna say this is a really cool mod, i used to love messing around with the Touhou mod on Minecraft a few years back, never played the games(I am garbage at bullet hell)
Second, do you ever plan on adding more new weapons, it's a little weird fighting all these cute chibi anime girls with standard doom weapons, and while I do LOVE the "2" weapons you've added so far, would love to see more unique things add if possible, or maybe a weapon addon

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:20 pm
by Untitled
leodoom85 wrote:Also, is it possible to add an extra skill or an add-on that all attacks can kill you in one hit?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA nah, that would be legitimately impossible most of the time (not unless I gave you a true-danmaku-shooter hitbox, and that causes a lot of other things to break, so I can't give you that)

MrToots wrote:First , I wanna say this is a really cool mod, i used to love messing around with the Touhou mod on Minecraft a few years back, never played the games(I am garbage at bullet hell)
Second, do you ever plan on adding more new weapons, it's a little weird fighting all these cute chibi anime girls with standard doom weapons, and while I do LOVE the "2" weapons you've added so far, would love to see more unique things add if possible, or maybe a weapon addon
I've actually considered it!

The "2" weapons, as you may have noticed, are actually 3-weapons-per-weapon - and they are all based on real shots that real Touhou characters really use (okay, really just Reimu and Marisa, but they're the main playables, so that's who's important here), so Effectively, you get 6 weapons.

The main issue comes down to the fact that there aren't too many more weapons that fulfill all four of the following properties.
In order of least to most important, the weapons need to be:
1. Reliable weapons that actually have conventional uses.
2. Not functionally redundant to already existing weapons (already that's kind of a problem, with Homing Amulet and Hakurei Amulet).
3. Based on attacks used in the actual Touhou series.
4. Aren't basically impossible to implement in the engine.

Once you have those conditions in, it gets pretty hard to implement more stuff.
Spoiler: If you want the full list of attempts that have been made


That, and between the 6 functional weapons, we have most of our bases covered:
-Basic Homing Type: Homing Amulet
-Forward Focus Single Target: Persuasion Needle
-Forward Focus Homing: Hakurei Amulet
-Hitscan and Ripper: Illusion Laser
-Explosive Firepower: Magic Missile
-Shotgunning: Hakkero Fire

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:23 pm
by Leoyagami96
Hey man i already Made a monster replacer for Doom 2 with the Touhou Doom characters and its fully compatible with gameplay mods

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:13 am
by Untitled
Yet another bugfix update:
Fixes:
-Reimu actually takes less damage from Spellcards, like a proper final boss.
-Renamed "Hakkero Fire" to the more touhou-correct "Magic Napalm"
-One of Yukari's patterns didn't work properly. This has been fixed.
-Yukari is harder - there's less health in the arena.
EDIT: One thing I missed
-touhou_cl_shmupmovement (yes, that's a _cl_ CVar) now only makes you take 1.5X damage instead of 2.0X.

Link is in the OP.