Touhou Doom - Full Release (V1.24)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Post by Untitled »

Sorry for the double-post, but IT'S THREE DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EDIT: Link's fixed.

Fixed:
-Remilia's pain animation animates correctly now.
-Sanae was missing a frame on Hard mode only.
-Sanae's first nonspell didn't work on Hard properly
-Users shouldn't notice this, but I cleaned up the code.

Link's in the OP.
DeShawnChampion

Post by DeShawnChampion »

You mentioned that you had no sprites for Yuugi in one of the missions.
There is a download link available for this character you may want to consider.
Spoiler:
Keep in mind that this is all MUGEN material, so you will need Fighter Factory to open the sprites
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

I wonder how this would work with Bullet Eye...
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Watched Icarus' review recently. This looks interesting.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

I have tested extensively and the result is conclusive: Touhou Doom works with Bullet Eye!

Therefore, please make use of Bullet Eye and return Danmaku with SHMUP Firepower!
Smashhacker

Post by Smashhacker »

Pretty good Touhou wad you made. There was more effort put into this than the other Touhou doom wads I have played before. I do have a couple of ideas to mention:
1. Would you be considering implementing a difficulty mode that adds in a life system in place of the health system? You start out with multiple lives, and getting hit would make you lose a life, but collecting enough health packs and armor would make you gain a life back.
2. SInce it is pretty easy to have 400 power squares on you at all times, how about balancing it so that getting hit makes you lose power?
3. Perhaps resprite the Marisa shot type weapon so that the circular screen that has UAC now instead has the Mini-Hakkero design.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Smashhacker wrote:Pretty good Touhou wad you made. There was more effort put into this than the other Touhou doom wads I have played before. I do have a couple of ideas to mention:
1. Would you be considering implementing a difficulty mode that adds in a life system in place of the health system? You start out with multiple lives, and getting hit would make you lose a life, but collecting enough health packs and armor would make you gain a life back.
Not getting in for a while (Touhou Doom is on a semi-hiatus as of right now as I deal with real life), but I've heavily considered it - the main issue is that there's too many attacks which can't be legitimately dodged outside of basically being a TAS, and strictly limited hits can basically mean the RNG decides whether you live or die - taking over 30 hits to die means that your health pool functions as a RNG mitigator (since the RNG very rarely screw you over that much). There's a lot more RNG in this than I think you're probably aware of (Even on a number of attacks that don't look like RNG). Plus, it means that I can have much RNG heavier attacks than would be otherwise justified while also leaving room for attacks that must be dodged no matter what.

It's definitely on the consideration block, though - it's more that every feature I add is a ton of testing and refining, and that can take a long time.

TL;DR: Lunatic mode would require being a near-literal TAS to make limited hits possible.
Smashhacker wrote:2. SInce it is pretty easy to have 400 power squares on you at all times, how about balancing it so that getting hit makes you lose power?
Not the first to suggest this, so I'll just paste what I posted earlier:
Untitled wrote:I've seen a lot of suggestions to lose [P] via getting hit - I've certainly considered it, but the issue I personally have with it is that it's both an inevitability (in certain places), and also that it's an unstable equilibrium - losing power means having to dodge attacks for longer, which means probably getting hit more and losing even more power. Combine that with the fact that most of the mod is balanced for Max Power (400), it can get pretty messy pretty quickly - as I said, taking away [P] is not something I want to do lightly - it's an immediately noticeable effect for the player.
TL;DR: The game's been balanced around having 400 power, so losing it is a rail pain. I plan to have some ideas around it - but it's absolutely not a thing I can do lightly, as the loss from 400 power to 300 power is an immediately noticeable drop in firepower.
3. Perhaps resprite the Marisa shot type weapon so that the circular screen that has UAC now instead has the Mini-Hakkero design.
Trust me, I'm pretty aware of the generally garbage sprite work this wad entails - that's more due to the fact I have no spriting ability whatsoever - well, unless you include recolouring things with Photoshop. I did that a couple times.
Last edited by Untitled on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smashhacker

Post by Smashhacker »

Untitled wrote:Trust me, I'm pretty aware of the generally garbage sprite work this wad entails - that's more due to the fact I have no spriting ability whatsoever - well, unless you include recolouring things with Photoshop. I did that a couple times.
In that case, I edited the Marisa shot-type weapon sprites to appear more minihakkero-esque, in case you are interested. I'm not a professional at spriting either, but I hope this is suitable enough for the wad.
Spoiler:
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Oh, thanks! I'll definitely use these when Episode IV releases.

EDIT: Added. Will be there on the next release, whether that's (hopefully not) Episode 3E, or Episode IV.
Solaela
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Solaela »

I think it's pretty much safe to say ANYTHING works on this. I tried project brutality, Trailblazer even russian overkill. ALL worked. I'll say with PB even on 'easy' (said cause I dunno if it used this or PB's 'easy' mode) Boss 1 kicked my ass despite me creaming the miniboss.

But Yeah. If you can use it in normal doom? It seems to work ok here.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Hey, Untitled. Is it possible to add a scoring system based on some factors like kills and time or something like that?
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

Solaela wrote:I think it's pretty much safe to say ANYTHING works on this. I tried project brutality, Trailblazer even russian overkill. ALL worked. I'll say with PB even on 'easy' (said cause I dunno if it used this or PB's 'easy' mode) Boss 1 kicked my ass despite me creaming the miniboss.

But Yeah. If you can use it in normal doom? It seems to work ok here.
With the inclusion of the CVar touhou_doomweapons, any mod that does not replace monsters will work with Touhou Doom.

Also, Touhou Doom uses MAPINFO skill ACS Return values; if those aren't set, the default is Normal Mode.
leodoom85 wrote:Hey, Untitled. Is it possible to add a scoring system based on some factors like kills and time or something like that?
From somewhere else, I'll quote myself here:
I wrote:Ah, yes, scoring - it's a cool idea in theory!
In practice, this is an absolutely awful engine to do it in, due to the nature of how little control I have over said engine - to do a proper scoring system, I need to make point items (not hard) that have variable scoring properties based on various game conditions (hard), spellcard bonuses for not getting hit during various boss attacks (harder), to highly variable scoring mechanics that give incentive to make riskier plays (ahahahahahahaha nope).
RedGun

Post by RedGun »

Hello there, im am new to this Doom Wad community and since im a fan of Touhou games, seeing this mod just made me join this Doom WAD community, i would like to play this Mod with Russian Overkill, but i dont know any of how it works, i would like to ask if Someone can help me.
kadu522

Post by kadu522 »

Ok First get both this and rusian overkill.

Then load it in the folowing order.

Touhoudoom
Russian Overkill.

This can be done in to ways. Useing a folder and draging e droping.
OR
Useing ZDE. that is a lunching EXE that is very helpfull.
RedGun

Post by RedGun »

kadu522 wrote:Ok First get both this and rusian overkill.

Then load it in the folowing order.

Touhoudoom
Russian Overkill.

This can be done in to ways. Useing a folder and draging e droping.
OR
Useing ZDE. that is a lunching EXE that is very helpfull.
By the time this message arrived i actually figured out by my own still thanks for the advises

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”