Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [V1.4 OUT!]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [OUT NOW! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!]

Postby 4thcharacter » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:20 pm

Do the monsters taken from SotN aside from the Merman (which is obvious from the pictures) and Ectoplasm have centered sprites? If so, can I use them? Can't play the mod to see or take a look inside it to check right now.
4thcharacter
"I have returned."

Postby doomjedi » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:16 am

Fantastic and inspiring mod.
Best platforming on Doom engine ever, easy controls, faithful remake (that is even better and faster-paced than the original), makes you to replay original game (and find out this 3D version is better :) ). Was never a "fan" of castlevania (not hating, just not a fan), now I'm totally sold, this mod shows why castlevania was so popular. Makes you wanting to make Castlevania TC yourself, heh.

If you write down a wishlist for 3D remake - by priority I'd say Commander Keen. Long time due.
Dangerous Dave could be nice too. Adventure Island?
Last edited by doomjedi on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
doomjedi
"Blade of Agony" spriter

Discord: DoomJedi

Postby Batandy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:55 am

4thcharacter wrote:Do the monsters taken from SotN aside from the Merman (which is obvious from the pictures) and Ectoplasm have centered sprites? If so, can I use them? Can't play the mod to see or take a look inside it to check right now.

They don't, sorry
Batandy
"If it's not fun, why bother?"

Postby Zaratul » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:41 am

This is maybe a stupid question but...how do i heal? I can`t be able to find any healing items.
Zaratul

Postby doomjedi » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:50 am

You find healing breaking secret wall bricks.

On my comp there is some bug (hopefully) where those are invisible with clear breakable wall mark by the engine.
doomjedi
"Blade of Agony" spriter

Postby Zaratul » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:52 am

Finished with 149 000 points.And holy shit,that was a blast.One of the best total conversions i ever played.Everything was great,locations,sounds,enemies.That castlevania remixes was awesome too!
Zaratul

Postby doomjedi » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:01 am

Fully agree. Both faithful to the original - and better than the original. Balanced, challenging, fluent....
Playing it is a blast. Everything is so balanced etc...didn't think platforming can be done so well on Doom/3D engine.

But I found out platforming are not working well in Doom-like shooters that have alot of controls, especially when there are too small and unforgiving platforms over some sea of lava or such...which make the game frustrating reload mixture.
Here platforms are large and fair, most of them not over danger, there are not unforgiving, so and it's fun.
And there are little controls, most fit within mouse - left for attack, right for magic and middle for jumping, so you feel always in full control, it's important for platforming part.
doomjedi
"Blade of Agony" spriter

Postby QuakedoomNukem Cz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:30 am

This is now my favorite Castlevania game period (yes, even more than Lecarde Chronicles and Super Castlevania 4). Weapons are fun to use, enemies are strong, but are fair and bosses are definitely challenging, but the level desing and platforming are the biggest points out of the entire game.

Although only about 2 hours long, you will have even more replayability, thanks to NG+ (New Game + aka Blood Mood).
Even the little touches like being able to get rid of the enemy shots with the fully powered whip, the sky actually being different, based on the difficulty,
being able to hit the bells in ''The Chapel'' or the AVGN easter egg (actually makes sense, since the turkey is not that far away, so kudos for that), you will have giant nostalgia boner over this, believe me.

And to top it all of, possibly the best picks of the remixes i've ever seen, though it might disappoint some eager Castlevania fans, hence i tried to make a NES Music pack specifially for this game, so if you want to be even more nostalgic, here you go:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eex2jv4l44dm8 ... y.zip?dl=0

Thank you Batandy, you sure know what makes a good game design, you could even make actual games, because I would gladly buy them.
QuakedoomNukem Cz
Grammar Nazi and Graphics Whore with a kind heart.

Discord: #2091

Postby YiddishFish » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:58 am

Um how do I get it so I can look up and down with a mouse. Or like in vanilla doom aims up and down for you. But I would prefer doing that myself with my mouse. Also is there a way to get a cross hair? How do you use items I picked up the dagger at the start of the game and enter did nothing I rebinded it to q to be more convenient. Also this game has platforming meaning you need to be able to jump. Should I bind use(not use item) to e and jump to space? Because jump is unbound. And any setting I should toggle? Thanks I am new to doom mods I've played brutal doom and thats it.

I read the read me.txt and it said you need jump and crouch and use. I know that don't tell me you didn't read the .txt and were not paying attention. But is what I said good places for the binds?
YiddishFish

Postby DarkWarrior1995 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:20 am

YiddishFish wrote:Um how do I get it so I can look up and down with a mouse. Or like in vanilla doom aims up and down for you. But I would prefer doing that myself with my mouse. Also is there a way to get a cross hair? How do you use items I picked up the dagger at the start of the game and enter did nothing I rebinded it to q to be more convenient. Also this game has platforming meaning you need to be able to jump. Should I bind use(not use item) to e and jump to space? Because jump is unbound. And any setting I should toggle? Thanks I am new to doom mods I've played brutal doom and thats it.

I read the read me.txt and it said you need jump and crouch and use. I know that don't tell me you didn't read the .txt and were not paying attention. But is what I said good places for the binds?

Binding use to "e" and jump to "space" isn't a bad idea by any means, I do it myself. As for your other issues...
    1:Try enabling Mouselook. Should be under Mouse settings.
    2:Sub-weapon usage is keyed to Alternate Fire. With no key dedicated to that, you're stuck with the whip
    3:Yes, you will want to at least enable jumping by default. Use/Activate should already be taken care of by default, but it is rebindable for convenience. Crouching, while useful for a few situations, one can go by without. I decided to heed that particular portion anyways on my end, since it is Castlevania. Both jumping and crouching enabling should be under Gameplay settings.
    4:Crosshair enabling, as well as many other options involving that, should be under HUD settings.
DarkWarrior1995

Postby Cherno » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:57 am

Just played through the first two levels of this mod and I have to say that it's one of the best mods I've ever played. It's incredible how much work must have gone into this and it really shows, everything feels very polished. the only things I could really criticize are:

1. Some areas are really dark, making it hard to see where platforms begin and end.
2. I don't like the way weapons vanish when picking up a new one. BulletEye did it better, there the carried weapon drops when another one is picked up. I found myself cursing everytime I accidently picked up the stopwatch because it fell down from some spot above me making it hard to avoid it, and then I was stuck with it when trying to fight ranged enemies.

I also didn't manage to beat the Grim Reaper, the flying sickles were just too annoying so I entered godmode for that one fight.

Apart from that, amazing job and I hope to see more from you in the future!

Edit: Final Score: 161,800.
Cherno

Postby Ichor » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:41 pm

Will you be adding the double and triple shots which increases fire rate as long as you don't change your weapon?
Ichor
The fun cannot be halted

Postby SamVision » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:59 pm

If you wan't to make another retro-game themed mod for GZDoom, I recommend Contra. Action Doom was kind of that but only for the first two or three levels.
SamVision

Postby Ichor » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:59 pm

SamVision wrote:If you wan't to make another retro-game themed mod for GZDoom, I recommend Contra. Action Doom was kind of that but only for the first two or three levels.

Actually, Ninja Gaiden might be better. It has more or less the same mechanics as Castlevania, though the wall climbing/leaping might be a bit tricky to do.
Ichor
The fun cannot be halted

Postby Batandy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:54 am

Ichor wrote:Will you be adding the double and triple shots which increases fire rate as long as you don't change your weapon?

I could make them but chose not to, especially since you can't lose them with save states.

SamVision wrote:If you wan't to make another retro-game themed mod for GZDoom, I recommend Contra. Action Doom was kind of that but only for the first two or three levels.

I probably won't do another remake, After Golden Souls 2 i might make another Castlevania but no promises, i'd like to move on and make some stuff completely of my own after that.

Watch James & Mike play Simon's Destiny!
Batandy
"If it's not fun, why bother?"

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects