Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [V1.4 OUT!]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [OUT NOW! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!]

Postby MoonlightDragon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:51 pm

Thanks so much!Just downloaded it!Unfortunately,there was a big bump in the road i couldnt get over when I started playing it and I think my pc is no longer able to support OpenGL properly because i get the OpenGl Not Accelerated message if i try to use it and a just noticed a couple other games I own that use OpenGL no longer work...and if i use the Software option,when I go through the very first door to enter the castle,the game crashes with an error message.Such a shame.I was really psyched to play this work of art for myself,but Ill hang onto it in case theres a workaround or somehow afford a better PC.Thanks again though.Even from watching just the first couple levels during Mike Matei's playthrough,you did a great job with it.Its the perfect fan game!
MoonlightDragon

Postby mekanchest » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:07 pm

hey nice work with your mod and its standalone, your game to be exactly, btw i made this Image maybe if you want to use it for the next version of maybe i can use it like a custom addon pack for your game :), nice work.
mekanchest

Postby jbrownsts » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:54 pm

Yay! Congrats for the release Batandy, can't wait to play this!
jbrownsts

Postby lazerpipe » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:35 am

Having so much fun with this!!!
Made it to the flying medusa head room in the Dungeon so far. I found an AVGN easter egg along the way too lol!
lazerpipe

Postby doomjedi » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:37 am

Congrats, looks very faithful to the classics, creation of love to the source.
doomjedi
"Blade of Agony" spriter

Discord: DoomJedi

Postby Kroc » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:02 am

NB: Compress your PNGs! I shaved 4 MB off the .ipk3! :)
Kroc
PortaDOOM, DOOM-Crusher

Github ID: Kroc
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby reikall » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:23 am

Hi. This is my first post ever! I love this mod, even though it's too hard for me. :D

Anyway, I love making voxels. I just made one for Timon's Axe from Hexen, and then I saw the ones in this mod and...I did a little bit of work on shaping yours. Nothing special. They're also rotated so you don't need your VOXELDEF. If you like them, please use them. If you don't, no worries.

It's hard to tell the difference from a screenshot, but: https://imgur.com/7Jin86H
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reikall

Postby Purphexyon » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:28 am

Im having trouble getting this to work on Android [GZDOOM (D-touch)]. Any help would be appreciated. Ive waited quite a while to play this, and PC isnt an option for me right now.
Purphexyon

Postby Batandy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:57 am

Thank you very much everyone, whoa so many responses :wub:

Gothic wrote:You credited me for some of the textures, but I didn't see any made by me there. You probably meant the GothicDM team.

I've used some resources from Realm667 with only "Gothic" written in the credits, so that might explain this, i'll doublecheck the files for the next version

reikall wrote:Hi. This is my first post ever! I love this mod, even though it's too hard for me. :D

Anyway, I love making voxels. I just made one for Timon's Axe from Hexen, and then I saw the ones in this mod and...I did a little bit of work on shaping yours. Nothing special. They're also rotated so you don't need your VOXELDEF. If you like them, please use them. If you don't, no worries.

It's hard to tell the difference from a screenshot, but: https://imgur.com/7Jin86H

Thanks, i'll check them out
Batandy
"If it's not fun, why bother?"

Postby Exosphere » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:34 am

Another incredible release by you. Amazing work Batandy! Already at Frankenstein, and been enjoying so much of it. However, I do have one observation that might require some balancing. The Frankenstien fight seems way too difficult; the problem is with the Hunchback and not Frankenstein's monster itself. The hunchback moves way too quickly, seems a little too accurate with its shots and throws the knives a little too quickly (and is invincible?). The hunchback ends up killing you way more often than the monster.

Otherwise, this is an outstanding mod. Keep up the awesome work! 8-)
Exosphere

Postby Batandy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:42 am

Exosphere wrote:Another incredible release by you. Amazing work Batandy! Already at Frankenstein, and been enjoying so much of it. However, I do have one observation that might require some balancing. The Frankenstien fight seems way too difficult; the problem is with the Hunchback and not Frankenstein's monster itself. The hunchback moves way too quickly, seems a little too accurate with its shots and throws the knives a little too quickly (and is invincible?). The hunchback ends up killing you way more often than the monster.

Well, it's supposed to be like that, the hunchback was the problem in the original fight, not Frankenstein himself.
I'd suggest you to try holy water in that fight, it stuns Frankenstein
Batandy
"If it's not fun, why bother?"

Postby Exosphere » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:45 am

Batandy wrote:
Exosphere wrote:Another incredible release by you. Amazing work Batandy! Already at Frankenstein, and been enjoying so much of it. However, I do have one observation that might require some balancing. The Frankenstien fight seems way too difficult; the problem is with the Hunchback and not Frankenstein's monster itself. The hunchback moves way too quickly, seems a little too accurate with its shots and throws the knives a little too quickly (and is invincible?). The hunchback ends up killing you way more often than the monster.

Well, it's supposed to be like that, the hunchback was the problem in the original fight, not Frankenstein himself.
I'd suggest you to try holy water in that fight, it stuns Frankenstein

Ah ok. Never played the very first Castlevania game. :oops:
Exosphere

Postby drfrag » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:21 pm

MoonlightDragon wrote:and if i use the Software option,when I go through the very first door to enter the castle,the game crashes with an error message.Such a shame.I was really psyched to play this work of art for myself,but Ill hang onto it in case theres a workaround

Probably win 10 related, you should update your graphics driver or at least reinstall the current one if there are no newer drivers available.
I've investigated the crash anyway and it happens both on GZDoom 3.2 and QZDoom 2.0 in software both truecolor and paletted modes. There's no crash on QZDoom 1.3 or GZDoom 2.4 (i renamed the .ipk3 to .pk3 and loaded the traditional way with doom2.wad as the iwad) but i don't know if OpenGL is required. ZDoom32 works this way but the SSE2 version crashes inmediately before starting the game even in GL mode, this is probably MinGW related and i need to investigate it. So i'd recommend QZDoom 1.3 for now if the latest GZDoom doesn't work.
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby Ryuhi » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:15 pm

Fantastic job, up to stage 5 so far. My only complaint is that it can be a bit tough to measure the distance the whip actually hits, which is always a difficulty of first person melee. The ranges are very reasonable, I think the animation could just use a bit more clarity.

Other than that, the subweapons, the music, the architecture, everything is top notch :)
Ryuhi

Postby MoonlightDragon » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:06 pm

drfrag wrote:
MoonlightDragon wrote:and if i use the Software option,when I go through the very first door to enter the castle,the game crashes with an error message.Such a shame.I was really psyched to play this work of art for myself,but Ill hang onto it in case theres a workaround

Probably win 10 related, you should update your graphics driver or at least reinstall the current one if there are no newer drivers available.
I've investigated the crash anyway and it happens both on GZDoom 3.2 and QZDoom 2.0 in software both truecolor and paletted modes. There's no crash on QZDoom 1.3 or GZDoom 2.4 (i renamed the .ipk3 to .pk3 and loaded the traditional way with doom2.wad as the iwad) but i don't know if OpenGL is required. ZDoom32 works this way but the SSE2 version crashes inmediately before starting the game even in GL mode, this is probably MinGW related and i need to investigate it. So i'd recommend QZDoom 1.3 for now if the latest GZDoom doesn't work.

OMG mate thanks so much for replying and mentioning QZDoom.i downloaded that and it finally worked!I tried GZDoom and Zanondrum both,but they were crashing due to the GL issue...But ever since Windows forced me to upgrade to 10,a lot of my other games just totally stopped working right because they would be so slow.DOOM 3 BFG was one of them coincidentally and also Minecraft.I heard OpenGL just doesnt work with Windows 10 Intel cards anymore...anyway.Thanks Again!
MoonlightDragon

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects