Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [V1.4 OUT!]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zelda_Dork

Re: Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [OUT NOW! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!]

Post by Zelda_Dork »

I seem to be having a problem with save files. I can save and load in-game no problem, but as soon as I exit and boot it up again, my save files are gone. Help would be appreciated!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Zelda_Dork wrote:I seem to be having a problem with save files. I can save and load in-game no problem, but as soon as I exit and boot it up again, my save files are gone. Help would be appreciated!
Where is GZDoom installed? If it is in a Program Files folder, put it somewhere else, as modern Windows doesn't allow applications to write to those folders.
Zelda_Dork

Post by Zelda_Dork »

wildweasel wrote:
Zelda_Dork wrote:I seem to be having a problem with save files. I can save and load in-game no problem, but as soon as I exit and boot it up again, my save files are gone. Help would be appreciated!
Where is GZDoom installed? If it is in a Program Files folder, put it somewhere else, as modern Windows doesn't allow applications to write to those folders.
I put it in WinRAR. The problem seems to have solved itself, as I redownloaded GZDoom, and now my saves work. Strange...
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Zelda_Dork wrote:
wildweasel wrote:
I put it in WinRAR. The problem seems to have solved itself, as I redownloaded GZDoom, and now my saves work. Strange...
Do not play Gzdoom in WinRAR, extract it to a folder of your choice
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

@MoonlightDragon:

In the future please post your crash reports here.

Also concerning Intel+Windows 10, have you tried here?

(You really gotta look around this site, there's a wealth of information everywhere) ;)
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I advised him to update the drivers, it should be fixed with more recent drivers but i'm not sure. Patching the latest GZDoom should fix the problem of course.

On the crash, it's something that should be investigated. There's an unrelated crash with the SSE2 version of ZDoom32 and O3 but i found another one in the old capped skies code (also unrelated and of course not present in more recent versions). The old renderer crashed with very big capped skies, i've fixed the crash but there's no sky in the titlemap unless i use the map command or set r_skymode from the console. I could add another hack to fix it but i don't think i'm doing it.
Also i've found that the old truecolor renderer didn't support 3d floors properly (missing textures) but never mind.
JoeJoe90

Post by JoeJoe90 »

Amazing stuff!!! Loving the AVGN easteregg!

Plays perfectly for me!
NickYdeGozarU

Post by NickYdeGozarU »

is there any way we can get this running on GZDoom for android? any help would be greatly appreciated
Felgerian

Post by Felgerian »

This is absolutely fantastic! Best Castlevania I've played in years!

I love how you went out of your way to make it feel like you're playing a Castlevania game and not just a Doom mod. My only complaint (and that's just me being an autist) is that some of the music loops were a bit off, but I played around with the sound files and fixed them up, so everything is pretty much perfect now.

Again, amazing job! I can't wait to try Golden Souls 2 when it's out.
cass_only

Post by cass_only »

Hey @batandy first of all, your mod looks AWESOME. It's the best Castlevania fan effort I've experienced in years.

I've been working on some Game Maker-based CV games myself for some time, and I'm focused on sprite creation and pixel art. And I'm very interested in contributing with your mod's graphics for a possible new release or update.

I'd like to send you some samples of my work and also some sprites I've made for Simon's Destiny. I've joined the forum to do that, but apparently I'm not capable of PMing you yet. How can I send you my stuff?

Congratulations man, the game's really cool.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Felgerian wrote:This is absolutely fantastic! Best Castlevania I've played in years!

I love how you went out of your way to make it feel like you're playing a Castlevania game and not just a Doom mod. My only complaint (and that's just me being an autist) is that some of the music loops were a bit off, but I played around with the sound files and fixed them up, so everything is pretty much perfect now.

If you send me the files i will put the new loops in the next update
cass_only wrote:Hey @batandy first of all, your mod looks AWESOME. It's the best Castlevania fan effort I've experienced in years.

I've been working on some Game Maker-based CV games myself for some time, and I'm focused on sprite creation and pixel art. And I'm very interested in contributing with your mod's graphics for a possible new release or update.

I'd like to send you some samples of my work and also some sprites I've made for Simon's Destiny. I've joined the forum to do that, but apparently I'm not capable of PMing you yet. How can I send you my stuff?

Congratulations man, the game's really cool.
Send me a private message here: https://www.facebook.com/goldensouls2/
armand

Post by armand »

Hey @batandy
Just as everone else says, great mod.
Having a weird issue that the game crash when I use the key for use or open, doesnt matter what key I use for this function, the game still crash.
Any ideas on whats causing this?
Felgerian

Post by Felgerian »

Batandy wrote:
Felgerian wrote:This is absolutely fantastic! Best Castlevania I've played in years!

If you send me the files i will put the new loops in the next update.
Sure thing. I'll send them to you in a bit.
EDIT: Here we go. https://www.sendspace.com/file/2al9fo
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Felgerian wrote:
Batandy wrote:

If you send me the files i will put the new loops in the next update.
Sure thing. I'll send them to you in a bit.
EDIT: Here we go. https://www.sendspace.com/file/2al9fo
Thank you very much, and thanks for the detailed text file, really useful :)
Felgerian

Post by Felgerian »

Batandy wrote:Thank you very much, and thanks for the detailed text file, really useful :)
No problem. I usually keep notes on everything I work on as you never know when they might come in handy.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”