Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [V1.4 OUT!]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kullenberg

Re: Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [OUT NOW! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!]

Post by Kullenberg »

Looks fantastic. Love it. I do agree with the whip comment. I also found it difficult to judge the distance of some of the sprites, the bats in particular - and at times it seems like you should be hitting something and yet you cannot.
Firebrand
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Firebrand »

This is one of the best things I've played for the doom engine this year :D, I found some of the platforming a bit difficult at first, but once you get used to the jumps, things become easier, I'm sure that the flying enemy sprite alignment can be improved, since that could be the cause for the difficulty of hitting flying enemies in general :).

The boss fights are very well done, it's one of the best things I've found about the mod, the enemy usage is good as well, the last map feels way difficult, which is also a good thing, since it's the last map XD, the jumping on the conveyor belts is a bit difficult in itself, I'm not sure how I would improve the jumping in the mod, but maybe doing jumps a bit higher could help a bit.

You really did an awesome work on this mod, congratulations! :mrgreen:
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

for everyone having trouble with the whip's visual representation, I did a little digging...

the diagonal angle it takes in its animation from upper right to lower middle is exactly how it tracks. It actually matches with the sprite movement pretty well, but if you're trying to match it with a crosshair its going to be off. Here is a short clip where i replaced the particles in its active attack frames so that you can visualize how the actual attack registers (Note its relation to my crosshair in the middle of the screen)

While the distance is still a bit deceptive, i feel this is probably the biggest cause of people's accuracy issues. Compensating for it helped me hit things a LOT easier, so im hoping others will benefit as well.
TimesChu

Post by TimesChu »

Maybe this has been discussed already, but the board's gotten so big it's hard to find.

Is there not a way to change subweapons? I've fiddled with the settings and pressed every button on the keyboard trying to change back to the knives after picking up the watch, but nothing works. Am I doing something wrong or are the knives just gone?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

TimesChu wrote:Maybe this has been discussed already, but the board's gotten so big it's hard to find.

Is there not a way to change subweapons? I've fiddled with the settings and pressed every button on the keyboard trying to change back to the knives after picking up the watch, but nothing works. Am I doing something wrong or are the knives just gone?
You can have only one subweapon, picking a new subweapon will remove the old one, much like the original game
TimesChu

Post by TimesChu »

Batandy wrote:You can have only one subweapon, picking a new subweapon will remove the old one, much like the original game
Oh. Well, I guess I can work with that. Sorry for the trouble.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I'd like it better if when picking up a new subweapon, the old one would take it's palce in the world. Too many times have I picked up a stopwatch accidently and lost my precious cross or knife.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Cherno wrote:Too many times have I picked up a stopwatch accidently and lost my precious cross or knife.
Ah, memories of my childhood...

not that I ever considered the knife "precious" in the old games
TimesChu

Post by TimesChu »

Hey, me again. Just wanted to say I super enjoyed the game. I think it's a really great play and it felt like a Castlevania game, and a Doom game, which is a combo I never expected to mix so perfectly. The voice acting was great and I'm definitely gonna check out your other projects now.

(My final score was 164800~)
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

TimesChu wrote:Hey, me again. Just wanted to say I super enjoyed the game. I think it's a really great play and it felt like a Castlevania game, and a Doom game, which is a combo I never expected to mix so perfectly. The voice acting was great and I'm definitely gonna check out your other projects now.

(My final score was 164800~)
Thanks for playing, Dracula didn't have a specific voice acting for this mod, i've used his lines from Dracula X Chronicles for PSP.
But, on the other hand, the common zombies and Death were voiced by me

Here's a sneak peek of what's coming in version 1.2
Brand new Simon sprites! (Third person sprites made by Khefz)
JoeJoe90

Post by JoeJoe90 »

I finally played through Castlevania - Simon's Destiny! What a crazy ride!

I would like to share my experience with the game, positives and negatives in points. Warning, the post is pretty long!

Positives
+Level design is great! True to the source material, nicely translated into 3D
+Nice level textures, spooky fog effect, nice usage of colors and lighting
+Lots of candles to destroy, meat in walls, nice variety of enemies from the original game, plus extra enemies in Bloodmoon mode
+Only six levels like in the original game, but they're nicely extended and long enough.
+Whipping is fun, but also subweapon usage is strategic and essential
+Great soundtrack!
+Good sound effects.
+THAT AVGN REFERENCE! OMG!
+Medusa heads are not that annoying! :P
+Needs some backtracking because of keys, extends the levels nicely, BUT...

Neutral
/You can get subweapons accidentally, replacing your previous one. Not a big issue, it was the same in the original game too.
/Most of the enemy sprites look great, but I felt some lazy. Got from the games without modification, not facing to the main character but in a kinda side view. (Actually I would love to help with additional sprites if you plan to release an update in the future)
/Sometimes it's hard to judge the length of the whip, not sure how it could be fixed since it's a 2D sprite. Usually not a big issue, but in case of smaller enemies, it's harder to get the distance.

Negatives
-Hit detection kinda feels weird, constant damage is strange, no invincibility time. I don't know how it would translate to 3D, but some attacks are really inconsistent, when it comes to damage. Like the axe, it can damage enemies a lot, or just barely, depends on how long it is in their hitbox. Attacks like what Dracula uses, like the lighting can kill you easily if you stay there, but sometime it barely damages. Bats and other small flying enemies are harder to judge when they are attack from, sometimes they literally suck lots of HP, no indication from the attack direction. I wouldn't mind higher damage, but with invincibility frames.
-Sprites in Bloodmoon are from Symphony of the Night, many of them kinda feels out of place compared to the others in style.
-Some enemies have ridiculous reaction time. Like you just open the door and you already got hit. Especially annoying in case of the skeletons that shoot beams from their dicks. I mean, it looks like it.
-Backtracking itself is nice, but I wish, getting a key would spawn some new enemies in the already cleared areas.

In overall, fantastic game with a satisfying ending. Challenging in every difficulty levels, and it feels so rewarding, when you complete a level. Wonderful level design, great graphics (I used a retro shader simulating low resolution and less colors, just looked so old-school with it!), fun gameplay except for the mentioned negatives. A thing I didn't expect at the end. That AVGN reference was beautiful, I almost died laughing. Really true to the original game, a wonderful tribute, thank you guys for creating this. Really, you are talented! It was an emotional rollercoaster to play it through, but totally worth it in the end. If you fix some of the mentioned issues, it can be even better, but it's already a wonderful game.

Final rating (can change)
8.5/10

My playthrough. Some levels will be uploaded later.

Retro screenshots:
Batandy

Re: Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [V1.2 OUT!]

Post by Batandy »

Download V1.2
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9l5h70va0 ... y_v1.2.zip

Changelog:
Spoiler:
-Nestalgic Music Pack-
Classic tunes from the original game!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/x3ycs46bq ... talgic.pk3
-Super Castlevania IV Music Pack-
Music from SCIV! Quite tense and atmospheric!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3p3wycs41 ... V_SCIV.pk3
Send me your own addons and i'll add them here!
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Cool!

However, I still think the Whip sprite needs a major overhaul. In the opening cutscene where Simon cracks his whip, it looks like it is about two metres long, yet the actual weapon sprite makes it look much shorter. Telling where the tip is going to land is hard and as such it is a pain to hit enemies that are not at point-blank range.
Felgerian

Post by Felgerian »

Definitely digging the new whip sprites. I kept forgetting whether or not my whip was powered up in the initial version.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Way better than the original games!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”