[Release] Scattered Evil for Hexen 2.4 (Oct 9, 2023)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
rambo

[Release] Scattered Evil for Hexen 2.4 (Oct 9, 2023)

Post by rambo »

Scattered Evil Quick Infos
  • Korax’ Heritage: Scattered Evil is the first game using the KoraxRPG engine based on Vavoom, extending the original Hexen gameplay through a slew of RPG elements
  • Current release: Version 2.4 (October 9, 2023)
  • Download Links: SourceForge | ModDB
  • Feature List:
    Spoiler:
  • Screenshots:
    Spoiler:
  • Movies: Scattered Evil Playlist on YouTube
  • Further Information: see https://www.koraxheritage.com
se22shot02.jpg
se20shot01.jpg
se20shot06.jpg
Last edited by rambo on Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:54 pm, edited 38 times in total.
Agentbromsnor

Re: Korax' Heritage: Scattered Evil 1.0 Released

Post by Agentbromsnor »

I like the screenshots on your website. I could have been fooled into believing it was running on the Quake engine. I'll definitely keep an eye out on your project.

One question though: is this game going to be an unofficial stand-alone "add-on", or completely original? I personally think it would be cool to play something unfamiliar since I already know the Hexen assets inside and out, but that's just me.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Agentbromsnor wrote:One question though: is this game going to be an unofficial stand-alone "add-on", or completely original? I personally think it would be cool to play something unfamiliar since I already know the Hexen assets inside and out, but that's just me.
This looks to be more of a partial conversion, still impressive nonetheless.
rambo

Post by rambo »

If with Hexen assets you mean the original maps: except for a short return to the ruins of the Heresiarch's Seminary as part of a quest, you won't see any original Hexen locations.
If you mean the visuals and sounds: this is still the world of Hexen, continuing the story three months after the original's ending. You will see lots of familiar monsters, even though they might behave somewhat differently.

More informative than words might be watching a few minutes of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSsu91YgVnI where I recorded starting a new game and taking the first steps. In the first seven minutes, most basic features are shown, including finishing the first sidequest to receive a new weapon.
Mitcho

Post by Mitcho »

Cool!

I've been waiting for the mod to launch for years!

Do you intend to implement any gear system? (armor, helmet, boot with damage reduce or bonus attribute)

I suggest that healing items recover in percentage instead of a fixed amount. Something around 15% to 30% for the weakest healing item and 100% for the strongest
rambo

Post by rambo »

We were thinking about making vials/flasks/urns give 10%/25%/100% max HP, however it would mean for a lowbie squishy mage that quartz flasks would heal him for 2-3 HP, which doesn't help much when an average hit from an ettin is 15-20 HP loss. Maybe a mixed system where it gives either 25 HP or 25% max HP, whichever is higher.
Firebrand
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Firebrand »

It's good to get some positive feedback and ideas from people in the forum :), thank you for taking some time to play the mod and give good feedback!

We are still working on a 1.1 release, which contains some more improvements for decorations and for the game performance in general, stay tuned for the release ;).
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

This is still for Vavoom, right?
Firebrand
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Firebrand »

Yes, that's right, it's for Vavoom and will always be, heh! ;)
Mitcho

Post by Mitcho »

Maybe 15~30% +25HP or potions influenced for constitution attribute is nice too :mrgreen:

Hey... I found a bug, game crash in this portal in Nisisil Crucible
portal
portal
Error message
error.png
error.png (5.56 KiB) Viewed 23494 times
snowstorm

Post by snowstorm »

Friggin' awesome mod, man!!!
I really wanted to complete it before I post here, but I ran into a critical problem and I can't progress further. I hope there is a fix for this.

So, I've got a 58 lvl fighter inside the "Chuxen" side-quest hub. I just pulled the 3rd of the 5 puzzle levers (the one in the metal world map) and now, for some unknown reason, I can't enter the swamp map of that hub. I just tried all 3 teleports that lead there and I get the same error message. Looks like the same one as the post above mine. I'm hoping I won't have to abandon the side-quest for this error.

Also, there have been a number of game crashes prior to this. The manual says I should use a version 1.1 Hexen .wad. How can I find out what version is the .wad I'm using? It doesn't show a version number when I run the regular Hexen .wad in GZDoom.

*edit: I dug up the debug log. Attaching it as well.
Attachments
debug.txt
(10.1 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
error_chuxen.jpg
rambo

Post by rambo »

I hope Firebrand will be able to find the reason for these crashes soon, sent him a note about these reports. From what I understand from the error, killing every monster you can find before leaving a map within a hub might reduce the chance of this happening.

Hexen.wad 1.0 is what was released on the original CD back in 1995, you had to use a DOS patcher included on the Deathkings CD to update the wad file to 1.1. If you bought the game on GoG or Steam in the last decade or so, it most probably has the fully patched 1.1 wad file. IIRC the 1.0 wad had continuously numbered maps from 1 through 31, whereas the 1.1 wad has skipped map numbers and goes up to 40-something. This notice we include with the instructions is probably rather irrelevant these days, but back in 2001-2002 when we released Korax Mod 1 and 2 we had people posting crashes on e.g. leaving the Seven Portals hub, and those errors were traced back to the differences between the 1.0 and 1.1 versions of the Hexen iwad.
Toyoch

Post by Toyoch »

When I die and reload in Frozen Court(where you need to conquer to get the Ice Shard Spell), the game gives me following error:

HOST_ERROR: EV_MOVEPOLY: INVALID POLYOBJ NUM

So I'm essentially stuck :(
Mitcho

Post by Mitcho »

I stucked too :(

This game have teleport command?
I tried "map" command, but dont work propert, reset for a level 1 character

Also charisma dont work for a mage
rambo

Post by rambo »

Toyoch wrote:When I die and reload in Frozen Court(where you need to conquer to get the Ice Shard Spell), the game gives me following error:

HOST_ERROR: EV_MOVEPOLY: INVALID POLYOBJ NUM

So I'm essentially stuck :(
Does that only occur when you manually load a saved game or also when you die and press Space to respawn (which loads the autosave created when you entered the map)?
Mitcho wrote:This game have teleport command?
I tried "map" command, but dont work propert, reset for a level 1 character
"map mapxx" restarts the game, losing all progress. For certain cases of being stuck, the standard console cheats ("god", "noclip", "fly") might help.

Until we can fix the bugs reported:

To avoid losing a significant amount of game progress, keep several savegames and rotate them. A flexible setup is to have one savegame whenever you are in a town, one whenever you enter a new dungeon/hub, and a third one to save throughout the dungeon/hub.

Most locations have few enough moving parts so that a second attempt should get you through. The one highly complex hub is Chuxen, if you have to abandon that one, you can get its rewards the following way:

Pull down the console and type "gimme exp". Repeat this 4x for Cleric and Mage, 9x for Fighter. For Cleric and Mage, to get the slot #9 offensive spell, type "gimme weapons". Be advised, this gives you all weapons you don't yet have so best use it after you acquired all the rest in the normal way.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”