*On Hold*Legend of Zeldoom: Hell in hyrule [PRE-ALPHA v1.1]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: *WIP*Legend of Zeldoom: Hell in hyrule [PRE-ALPHA v1.1]

Post by Kinsie »

Zoskiacu wrote:The map of Hyrule is quite inconsistent with it's framerate, what's the best way to optimize it without deleting anything?
The reason for your framerate issues is that you don't have any one-sided lines blocking the way, meaning that you're often rendering the entire map, including the bits you can't see.
Zoskiacu

Post by Zoskiacu »

Kinsie wrote:The reason for your framerate issues is that you don't have any one-sided lines blocking the way, meaning that you're often rendering the entire map, including the bits you can't see.
Two things:
1. Is there any way to control engine's draw distance?
2. For some reason I get the biggest drops when I either look in the sky or on the floor (from 200fps to ~130fps).
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Zoskiacu wrote:Two things:
2. For some reason I get the biggest drops when I either look in the sky or on the floor (from 200fps to ~130fps).
1.) Yeah... add one-sided lines to your map. Supposedly a draw distance thing has been toyed with for the next version of GZDoom, but odds are it will be a player option, not a modder one.
Tokoshoran

Post by Tokoshoran »

Kinsie wrote:
Zoskiacu wrote:Two things:
1.) Yeah... add one-sided lines to your map. Supposedly a draw distance thing has been toyed with for the next version of GZDoom, but odds are it will be a player option, not a modder one.
The problem is that, except for the Lost Woods, it would probably be best if you could see into the next section. Are there ways to get it to only make them work if you're seeing them through another one, as in "Half one sided lines"?
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Tokoshoran wrote:The problem is that, except for the Lost Woods, it would probably be best if you could see into the next section.
I mean, it's not like you could in the original game.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Well the original game tried to present a seamless overworld experience, you can see that by the screen transitions, so hiding the next areas would not look good i think.

I don't think there's much you can do to improve the framerate without having to modify the map, you could try splitting the map in two, adding fog to hide the furthest areas and then doing a Half Life style loading in the middle of the maps.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

To be honest, though, I'm kinda confused as to why it's such a big deal to just make most of the rock walls one-sided. They're meant to be impassible barriers anyhow, so they're the perfect sort of thing for this.
Tokoshoran

Post by Tokoshoran »

Arctangent wrote:To be honest, though, I'm kinda confused as to why it's such a big deal to just make most of the rock walls one-sided. They're meant to be impassible barriers anyhow, so they're the perfect sort of thing for this.
Oh, that's an idea. You can only see forward when looking through the tunnels then, right? I was thinking invisible one-sideds between each zone, not the walls themselves.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I was wondering if the regular Doom enemies are going to be replaced with those from LoZ? They are very low-res but that's the charm with 8-bit games, I guess. They only have four drawn angles but they are drawn as if they are viewed from a first person perspective instead of an overhead view so theyx could be used right out of the box :)
Zoskiacu

Post by Zoskiacu »

Quick annoucement:
Sorry for not updating for a while as I was on my vacation. I do, however, work on a big update (v2). The main theme will be combat and lost woods

What will be in this update:
-Mod will leave pre-alpha and become alpha
-LOST WOODS AND GRAVEYARD WILL BE OPEN
-THE SWORD WILL BE (finally) WORKING AS IT SHOULD BE
-Level-6 and 7 will now be open

Coming: End of September - Early October

Again, sorry for the lack of updates
Dude27th

Post by Dude27th »

By the way , for improving the fps, what about having less bushes in the overworld ?
You could still have the closest to the player bushes to be displayed as things still , but changing the deeper ones into textures of bushes or a big thing with a lot of bushes as a sprite.

This should improve the fps in the overworld

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”