Ghoul School 3D for Heretic

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Orka

Re: Ghoul School 3D for Heretic

Post by Orka »

I have never heard about the original game but if it's as good as this remake then maybe I will get it and give it a try. :) Also some aspects were reminding me of Zombies Ate My Neighbours or Ghoul Patrol (for example the neverending spawn of the monsters and preventing the survivors to be killed), for a moment I thought that the original game was their predecessor then I realized I was wrong. :D But now that I think of it the music of this remake is really similar to those games' spooky soundtracks. Did you get them from one of those? Anyway, pretty good job. :)
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

SmarineS wrote:I have never heard about the original game but if it's as good as this remake
lol it's soooo not. It coulda been a really cool adventure game though.

All the level music is from Bram Stoker's Dracula on the genesis. The title theme is the actual in-game theme for the original Ghoul School, made into an awesome remix. The original does kinda have a Zombies Ate My Neighbors feel to it, though, paying homage to cheesy horror films of the 80s (Zombies was more of a tribute to the 50s but still).
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

ImpieTwo wrote:All the level music is from Bram Stoker's Dracula on the genesis.
If that's the case, you could have saved over five and a half meg by using the vgm's instead of ogg's.
http://project2612.org/details.php?id=126
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

I finished the beta for Episode 2. Anyone wants to beta test, message me.

- Revisit the school campus and underworld hubs, and discover new areas and enemies (mainly the eyeball guys from the original game).
- Two new locations to explore: a giant mad science lab and the afterlife itself.
- New gun: the Gamma Ray, courtesy of a former Spirit Ridder.

Gameplay feels more nonlinear this time around, so it's definitely tougher. Especially once you get to the Deadlands.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Updated the download! The game is now 2 episodes, and features more monsters from the original game, plus some new ones. Also features the new Gamma Ray weapon.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Slight updates. The switch at the beginning of Weird Science wasn't very obvious, so I changed it to make it stand out as a switch and not a wall decoration. Plus a couple other minor tweaks. If anyone plays through E2, post your thoughts here.
Firebrand
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Firebrand »

A very interesting project for Heretic, nice gameplay :).
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

ImpieTwo wrote:
EddieMann wrote:The rivetgun seems to be a biiiiit off to the right.
The projectile or the sprite? The sprite is supposed to be cos it's not dead centered.
The sprite, I meant. The way it's off-kilter makes it feel a bit off.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

ImpieTwo wrote:I finished the beta for Episode 2. Anyone wants to beta test, message me.

- Revisit the school campus and underworld hubs, and discover new areas and enemies (mainly the eyeball guys from the original game).
- Two new locations to explore: a giant mad science lab and the afterlife itself.
- New gun: the Gamma Ray, courtesy of a former Spirit Ridder.

Gameplay feels more nonlinear this time around, so it's definitely tougher. Especially once you get to the Deadlands.
Hope there'll be more Wolfenstein - Spear of Destiny-ish bosses.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

EddieMann wrote: Hope there'll be more Wolfenstein - Spear of Destiny-ish bosses.
There most certainly is in Episode 2!
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

ImpieTwo wrote:
EddieMann wrote: Hope there'll be more Wolfenstein - Spear of Destiny-ish bosses.
Will there be any 'burning death' animations for enemies when they're set ablaze?
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

EddieMann wrote:
ImpieTwo wrote:
Will there be any 'burning death' animations for enemies when they're set ablaze?
Nah, certain enemies just turn into Fire Guys. Mostly humans and occasionally zombie soldiers.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

I enjoyed it up until the tail end of the Netherworld part; that jumping/guessing puzzle with the invisible platforms is, to put it bluntly, bullshit. Eventually I got sick and tired of reloading saves since I wasn't willing to burn my feets every time I guessed incorrectly/missed a jump and just cheated to fly across, only to find that the NPC is either broken or there's something I need to get before I can talk to him to get the blue skull; all he would do is tell a dumb joke about how usually you had to die to get to the netherworld. With no clear indication of what the hell I had to do at that point, I said balls to it, flew up to grab the key, and continued on my way through the episode.

I also noclipped into the water slime thing area in the secret lab to get the polyp sample because at that point, honestly, I didn't care anymore. Maybe I just need to wait for the walkthrough video, maybe it's just broken, I dunno. But hey, the parts that weren't so dang obtuse were fun, so, yeah!

But seriously, change that invisible platform puzzle thing, whether it's broken or not. That's just not fun, fam.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

twinkieman93 wrote:But seriously, change that invisible platform puzzle thing, whether it's broken or not. That's just not fun, fam.
The hanging skulls are junctions to all the invisible paths, which are all at 90 degree angles. If a skull has a jaw, it marks a legit path; if it doesn't, it's a fake one, and you'll fall if you approach. The trick to solving it is that all the real junctions are aligned with each other, so just move to a jawed skull, then find another one to move to.

To reach the upper levels of the aquarium to get that sample, you have to find the alternate lab entrance in the underworld map, behind the waterfall.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”