Mystery Of Tyskie Islands (Download NOW!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
WojtTheDoomer

Re: Mystery Of Tyskie Islands

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Well, the development process has slowed down unfortunately. Not only im out of ideas how to really make the levels look better and more amazing to people, my mind is blank when it goes to that. Plus im also busy with other stuff and real life, and I tried implementing some stuff I never did before (polyobjects and slopes, etc.) and the thing with me is that when something doesn't work, I just give up and it's a real self-esteem leech for me. I just lack the desperation, but don't worry, I won't cancel this mod.

For a second I thought to make a devteam on that, like I would have someone do the hard stuff such as polyobj doors or slopes for me, and I would do all the other stuff. This would certainly speed up the development of the mod and with a group of talented people it would certainly make it really shine, but it would be rather hard to pull off, plus people would propably be less impressed with a thing done by a group of people other than something made by one person, propably reactions to the mod would turn from good to mediocre and maybe even bad if they will realise this was made by many people, plus im just not good at organizing this stuff.
WojtTheDoomer

Re: Mystery Of Tyskie Islands (Download NOW!)

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

The mod is finished, and is avaliable for download here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/94am32e82 ... TI+V01.zip
Leon_Portier

Post by Leon_Portier »

The jungle atmosphere is great! From visuals to layout and ambient sound I like it very much.
Enemy sprites look very slim I´d say. Looking stylish tho!
Map01 and Map03 don´t run as fluid as the other Maps I played so far, don´t know if its just on my end.
(running GZDoom 3.1.0 OpenGL)
Edit: I like the Tyskie Islands a lot, gonna finish them.
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Leon_Portier wrote:The jungle atmosphere is great! From visuals to layout and ambient sound I like it very much.
Enemy sprites look very slim I´d say. Looking stylish tho!
Map01 and Map03 don´t run as fluid as the other Maps I played so far, don´t know if its just on my end.
(running GZDoom 3.1.0 OpenGL)
Edit: I like the Tyskie Islands a lot, gonna finish them.
Thank you!
potetobloke
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by potetobloke »

I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, why is the Model 1887 taking 5 shells instead of 1?
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

potetobloke wrote:I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, why is the Model 1887 taking 5 shells instead of 1?
It's a bug which I sadly don't know how to fix.
Korell

Post by Korell »

WojtTheDoomer wrote:
potetobloke wrote:I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, why is the Model 1887 taking 5 shells instead of 1?
I've just downloaded it and started it up to test the guns. The pistol uses 2 ammo per shot, the rifle uses 3 ammo per shot and the shotgun uses 5 ammo per shot. Are the pistol and rifle also incorrect here or is it just the shotgun that isn't working as intended?

Anyway, checking out the decorate script in Slade, within the REALM667 file I can see the revolver and shotgun actors.
ACTOR PSRevolver has two firing actions, first a NEWPuff then a Tracer.
ACTOR model1887 has five firing actions, firstly there are 4 Tracers, and then finally a NEWPuff.

Further, within the DECORATE file I can see the rifle actor.
ACTOR Carabine has three firing actions, firstly a Dziura, then two tracers.

So the number of firing actions matches the amount of ammo used, as each firing action is using up the ammo as per the Weapon.AmmoUse values for each gun.

By editing the three actors' (PSRevolver, model1887 and Carabine) A_FireCustomMissile events I've made them only use one ammo per shot (two for the rifle alternate fire as per the Weapon.AmmoUse2 value). Basically, I added two optional arguments so that I could set the boolean useammo flag to 0 so that it is only the A_FireBullets event that uses ammo. Those A_FireCustomMissile might be better off as A_FireProjectile instead, as the wiki says that A_FireCustomMissile is now deprecated and replaced by A_FireProjectile.

Oh, I noticed a bug with some of the food barrels. Some of them, when shot, spawn a dead guy hanging upside-down, from Doom. Specifically I noticed it with those corresponding to sprite FOMI, so I'm looking into that now. I think it is because of the various actors trying to be defined more than once, as Doom already has a Meat2 and Meat3 (e.g. https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:Meat3) which matches the decription of what I'm seeing, so maybe some actor renaming will solve it.

EDIT:
Just saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSZzCZzMzc4
It shows the dead hanging guy bug. I got stuck in the same place on the second map, near the exit.

Oh, and I fixed that dead hanging guy issue, along with some others. It was indeed due to all the duplicate actor names as some are in use by Doom itself. I renamed Meat1, Meat2 and Meat3 into Meat_1, Meat_2 and Meat_3. I then removed two duplicate entries for Tree4Piece1 and Tree4Piece2. There are two NewTree06 entries, but both are defined by the mod and are slightly different, so to stop the warning message I renamed the second to NewTree06a (it wasn't being used anyway as GZDoom renames it because of the duplication). Then there's an actor called PalmTree which again is a Doom actor, so I renamed it and set it to replace the Doom actor. Lastly, you redefined the keys but used the original Doom names, which causes more warnings and stops these keys from being fully defined (it instead carries on using the original Doom definitions), so again with these I renamed them (using an A suffix) and setting them to replace the corresponding Doom actors, and to make the keys work I changed the references within the LOCKDEFS file to the new names.
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Korell wrote:
WojtTheDoomer wrote:
I've just downloaded it and started it up to test the guns. The pistol uses 2 ammo per shot, the rifle uses 3 ammo per shot and the shotgun uses 5 ammo per shot. Are the pistol and rifle also incorrect here or is it just the shotgun that isn't working as intended?

Anyway, checking out the decorate script in Slade, within the REALM667 file I can see the revolver and shotgun actors.
ACTOR PSRevolver has two firing actions, first a NEWPuff then a Tracer.
ACTOR model1887 has five firing actions, firstly there are 4 Tracers, and then finally a NEWPuff.

Further, within the DECORATE file I can see the rifle actor.
ACTOR Carabine has three firing actions, firstly a Dziura, then two tracers.

So the number of firing actions matches the amount of ammo used, as each firing action is using up the ammo as per the Weapon.AmmoUse values for each gun.

By editing the three actors' (PSRevolver, model1887 and Carabine) A_FireCustomMissile events I've made them only use one ammo per shot (two for the rifle alternate fire as per the Weapon.AmmoUse2 value). Basically, I added two optional arguments so that I could set the boolean useammo flag to 0 so that it is only the A_FireBullets event that uses ammo. Those A_FireCustomMissile might be better off as A_FireProjectile instead, as the wiki says that A_FireCustomMissile is now deprecated and replaced by A_FireProjectile.

Oh, I noticed a bug with some of the food barrels. Some of them, when shot, spawn a dead guy hanging upside-down, from Doom. Specifically I noticed it with those corresponding to sprite FOMI, so I'm looking into that now. I think it is because of the various actors trying to be defined more than once, as Doom already has a Meat2 and Meat3 (e.g. https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:Meat3) which matches the decription of what I'm seeing, so maybe some actor renaming will solve it.

EDIT:
Just saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSZzCZzMzc4
It shows the dead hanging guy bug. I got stuck in the same place on the second map, near the exit.

Oh, and I fixed that dead hanging guy issue, along with some others. It was indeed due to all the duplicate actor names as some are in use by Doom itself. I renamed Meat1, Meat2 and Meat3 into Meat_1, Meat_2 and Meat_3. I then removed two duplicate entries for Tree4Piece1 and Tree4Piece2. There are two NewTree06 entries, but both are defined by the mod and are slightly different, so to stop the warning message I renamed the second to NewTree06a (it wasn't being used anyway as GZDoom renames it because of the duplication). Then there's an actor called PalmTree which again is a Doom actor, so I renamed it and set it to replace the Doom actor. Lastly, you redefined the keys but used the original Doom names, which causes more warnings and stops these keys from being fully defined (it instead carries on using the original Doom definitions), so again with these I renamed them (using an A suffix) and setting them to replace the corresponding Doom actors, and to make the keys work I changed the references within the LOCKDEFS file to the new names.
Thank you for all of this, I myself wouldn't be able to recognize what's bad! I have an Idea, I wanna talk more about it on PM, send me a message.
Korell

Post by Korell »

As there's been no update since I sent my fixes to WojtTheDoomer, I thought I'd upload my fixed copy to ModDB. You can find it here:
http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/down ... ands-fixed

If there are any objections to this, though, then I'll take it down.
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Korell wrote:As there's been no update since I sent my fixes to WojtTheDoomer, I thought I'd upload my fixed copy to ModDB. You can find it here:
http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/down ... ands-fixed

If there are any objections to this, though, then I'll take it down.
Oh, hello. I actually updated the post with your fixed version. Got nothing against putting it on ModDB tho, just leave a link to my channel which is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHietn ... SLA/videos and that's pretty much it.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Wow - it's a shame that I never discovered this mod until now. This is absolutely amazing work! It is really well polished - I haven't even gotten past the first level yet and already I am impressed.
Korell

Post by Korell »

WojtTheDoomer wrote: Oh, hello. I actually updated the post with your fixed version. Got nothing against putting it on ModDB tho, just leave a link to my channel which is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHietn ... SLA/videos and that's pretty much it.
Cool. I'll update the ModDB description with the link to your YouTube later today when I get back from work. I'm hoping that I found all the visual bugs. I hadn't actually noticed that your download link had updated with the fixed version.

EDIT: I've now tweaked the description to include your YouTube channel link as requested and to state that you are now hosting the fixed version here on the forum thread too.
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Korell wrote:
WojtTheDoomer wrote: Oh, hello. I actually updated the post with your fixed version. Got nothing against putting it on ModDB tho, just leave a link to my channel which is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHietn ... SLA/videos and that's pretty much it.
Cool. I'll update the ModDB description with the link to your YouTube later today when I get back from work. I'm hoping that I found all the visual bugs. I hadn't actually noticed that your download link had updated with the fixed version.

EDIT: I've now tweaked the description to include your YouTube channel link as requested and to state that you are now hosting the fixed version here on the forum thread too.
Thank you, you are amazing.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Superior job! Runs fairly well, even on my toasted potato.

Almost feels like Far Cry 1 & 2 with all the lush scenery!
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Naniyue wrote:Superior job! Runs fairly well, even on my toasted potato.

Almost feels like Far Cry 1 & 2 with all the lush scenery!
Thanks!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”