Mystery Of Tyskie Islands (Download NOW!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
WojtTheDoomer

Mystery Of Tyskie Islands (Download NOW!)

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

THE MOD IS FINISHED!

I decided to abandon T:LD for the reason that it wasn't just my thing to do mods like that. Instead I decided to work at something new...Mystery of Tyskie Islands!
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIV-o0v_cLk[/youtube]

Plot:
It's 1912. You are Frank Masseur, an Austro-Hungarian soldier that one day on trip to Guinea washes ashore a mysterious, Oceanic island. Soon enough you realise that this island used to be peaceful and filled with people...until a dictator named Pica haven't managed to get his position and turn it into a police state in which everyone has to be perfectly like Pica wants them to be, or else they will be send into a murderous machine known as CREC-001, or tortured. It is up to you to travel through the archipelago and talk to Pica...in lead-ish preferably.

Features:
-Large, realsitic jungle areas.
-3D models!
-Authentic 1910's and 1890's weaponry.
-Fighting with enemies everywhere! In the jungle, outside the jungle, OVER the jungle!
-Stylized architecture, featuring Indonesian-esque houses, steam-filled guts of machines and more!

Pictures:

See Aquarius199 play the early Beta/Alpha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSZzCZzMzc4

DOWNLOAD NOW!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ed7tqszu ... I%20V2.zip
Last edited by WojtTheDoomer on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
grouchbag

Re: Mystery Of Tyskie Islands

Post by grouchbag »

This looks interesting...
ReX

Post by ReX »

I watched the first 12 minutes of the video (just after completing Beach, the first map), and the theme of the game really appealed to me. There seems to be a lot of exploration required, with nicely-done jungle scenery, rock caverns, and tropical shacks (although the shacks seem to be replicas of each other). The resistance was rather light, however.

While I wanted to keep going, the thought of watching a 50+ minute video of a walk-through of the game was daunting. I would suggest you splice the video, selecting it's best parts to showcase the game, and bring it down to 5 minutes. [Give the forum reader the option of also watching the full beta play-through, of course.]
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Nash wrote:Screenshots are too tiny!
Weird...I thought they will apear normal due to the fact that I used the same site to post them as with T:LD but this time they aren't full size...strange.
Talon1024

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Talon1024 »

I was about to post my thoughts as a comment on the YouTube video, but I thought it would be better to post it here.

STORY
Do you plan on fleshing out the player character more? You could use the short intro cutscenes at the start of each level to give the player a short monologue by the player character. You could also make those cutscenes skippable if they get too long. See WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony C1M1 or C2M1 to find out how to do that. Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light give the player short monologues by the player character before the gameplay starts.

BTW, if the player character is Austro-Hungarian, what's with the Poland flag face paint?

GRAPHICS
I'm guessing you want people to play this mod using GZDoom or QZDoom, and not just good old ZDoom. In that case, you don't need to convert every graphic into Doom format. You can use PNGs (or any other image format listed here) where you would otherwise use Doom format graphics. That way, you wouldn't need to convert any of your graphics to paletted format.

The credits screen looks good, but I see you're also using it as the level intermission picture. I don't think this fits the mod's atmosphere very well. A map of the islands, like in Heretic, or even just an old piece of paper, like in the Temple of the Lizardmen series, would be more fitting with this mod's atmosphere IMHO.

I really liked the animated palm tree sprite. At first, it animated so smoothly, I thought it was an animated 3D model.

GAMEPLAY
Concerning the small enemies (crabs), they shouldn't do much damage if they're hard to hit and/or come in large numbers.
The water, as seen at the 24:35 mark, really shouldn't kill you instantly.
What's with the dead bodies in the food barrels? Maybe Aqua messed up the load order somehow, but I think I should be able to walk through a broken barrel.
I think the "rapid shotgunner" should have the same amount of HP, or less HP than the Revolta SMG soldier. He seems to be way too hard to kill.

And last but not least, if you still have your stuff in a WAD, you can turn it into a folder with PK3 structure using this utility by Graf Zahl.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

I'm so there, girlfriend. This looks awesome, and I love the 1910 setting.

If it's a little tongue in cheek as the title and credits screen suggests, why not nickname the protagonist "El Tormento"? Calling him "Tortured" is kinda awkward. It seems like a nitpick, but I'm a writer before all else...

Looking forward to the public beta.
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Post by skyrish10 »

WojtTheDoomer wrote: -Authentic 1910's and 1890's weaponry.
Pictures:
The revolver in the screen shot was supposed to be the Gasser?

Add the Mannlicher M1895 rifle in the final version, that would be good as the protagonist is Austro-Hungarian

Also, the screenshots and in the Aquarius199 video, the Tekwar sprites are not very fitting and clashed very badly with the setting of the mod, why not use the Wolfenstein style sprites.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

skyrish10 wrote: Also, the screenshots and in the Aquarius199 video, the Tekwar sprites are not very fitting and clashed very badly with the setting of the mod, why not use the Wolfenstein style sprites.
I mentioned something similar in a youtube comment. The Outlaws characters fit pretty well, but the mod mixes enemy sprites from different games that clash badly. It'd help if they're a little more consistent.
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Guys, thank you for all the support! There is one thing I need to know tho...I wanted to include asian-styled roofs (you know, the pagoda ones) in this mod, and the only mod I know that uses them is The Island, however it's rather complicated there and I can't quite replicate it...anyone got any ideas how to do those?
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

WojtTheDoomer wrote:Guys, thank you for all the support! There is one thing I need to know tho...I wanted to include asian-styled roofs (you know, the pagoda ones) in this mod, and the only mod I know that uses them is The Island, however it's rather complicated there and I can't quite replicate it...anyone got any ideas how to do those?
The "pillar" of the pagoda would be a sector, and the roofing would have to be....i dunno, middle textures like what they use for bridges in old school wads.

Otherwise you'll just have to use 3d objects since it wouldn't be possible to go into the pagoda anyway without them or use of portals.
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

ImpieTwo wrote:
WojtTheDoomer wrote:Guys, thank you for all the support! There is one thing I need to know tho...I wanted to include asian-styled roofs (you know, the pagoda ones) in this mod, and the only mod I know that uses them is The Island, however it's rather complicated there and I can't quite replicate it...anyone got any ideas how to do those?
The "pillar" of the pagoda would be a sector, and the roofing would have to be....i dunno, middle textures like what they use for bridges in old school wads.

Otherwise you'll just have to use 3d objects since it wouldn't be possible to go into the pagoda anyway without them or use of portals.
I tried to make it using 3d floors, but it looks hideous and doesn't work. Copyting it from The Island also doesn't work for reasons unknown. And using textures to do it would look even worse. Just great...
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

WojtTheDoomer wrote:
ImpieTwo wrote:

I tried to make it using 3d floors, but it looks hideous and doesn't work. Copyting it from The Island also doesn't work for reasons unknown. And using textures to do it would look even worse. Just great...
Honestly the wad already looks great. You can probably do without a pagoda.
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Good news! Majority of the levels I made so far are in a state that I can consider 99% finished, and Im starting to make new ones! Enjoy the umm...beauty...whatever of one of the levels - a swamp base.

ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Do you have a rough estimate of the beta release date?
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

ImpieTwo wrote:Do you have a rough estimate of the beta release date?
Im not shure yet. The first six levels are 100% beatable and playable at this moment, and just need polishing.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”