[WIP] Darkest Forces: A Star Wars Inspired Mod

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Re: Darkest Forces: A Star Wars Inspired Mod

Post by Enjay »

I, on the other hand, am really quite stoked that it's in the Disney timeline. I love what Disney are doing with the franchise at the moment and the whole First Order, Kylo Ren, Snoke thing that's going on as well as an interesting shift to the next generation (wrong franchise :lol: )of good guys.

What's more, I don't *think* a Disney timeline Doom mod has been done yet.

And the mod looks stunning. Very, very effective.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

It's like a dream come true, stunning work right here.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Holy shit, this is fucking amazing. I'd buy this even if it was a standalone indie game!

Also another Disney timeline fan here. Can't wait for Episode 8!!!
Spoiler:
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

This looks outstanding. I am bouncing off the walls buzzing for this! Fantastic work. Awesome...
ReX

Post by ReX »

Impressive! Most impressive!
Arvy

Post by Arvy »

Thanks for the support, folks!

Here are some quick weapon sketches.
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Post by skyrish10 »

Arvy wrote:
1. For the HUD and the scattergun which I envision as a replacement for the super-shotgun.
The Scattergun looks like Franchi SPAS-12 (i know in the films, the blasters are modified from real-life firearms)
Arvy

Post by Arvy »

skyrish10 wrote: The Scattergun looks like Franchi SPAS-12 (i know in the films, the blasters are modified from real-life firearms)
Yes, I plan to base it off SPAS.
Arvy

Re: [WIP] Darkest Forces: A Star Wars Inspired Mod

Post by Arvy »

Hey there, folks!

Progress status: 2/3 of the first map are finished layout-wise, I'm adding some detailing now. Since I'm a sucker for animated textures I've decided to show you something:

Question: I'm curious to know more about how decals work, but can seem to find the proper way to add new decals. Like, I would like to place some red First Order flags around the map, on the walls like this, but don't know how to.
Would appreciate any help!
Spoiler: Example
Cheers
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

You'd do it through TEXTURES, that's the easiest way I've found.

Create a Flag graphic, add it to your wad, then add it to TEXTURES, then add the corresponding background to it. It's basically a new texture, but it's much less file size to create it as separate pieces, as opposed to just drawing it on a wall in photoshop. For tall walls like in your example, impassable mid tex is the way to go, but bear in mind that these will not show real time decals such as scorch marks from blasters, etc.

Sorry, here's the wiki page. It's harder to explain : https://zdoom.org/wiki/TEXTURES
Arvy

Post by Arvy »

Vostyok wrote:You'd do it through TEXTURES, that's the easiest way I've found.

Create a Flag graphic, add it to your wad, then add it to TEXTURES, then add the corresponding background to it. It's basically a new texture, but it's much less file size to create it as separate pieces, as opposed to just drawing it on a wall in photoshop. For tall walls like in your example, impassable mid tex is the way to go, but bear in mind that these will not show real time decals such as scorch marks from blasters, etc.

Sorry, here's the wiki page. It's harder to explain : https://zdoom.org/wiki/TEXTURES
Aha! Of course, impassable mid texture in the air - great solution. Thank you for the advice.
Cage

Post by Cage »

This is shaping up very nicely! Keep up the good work. :)

One thing that bothers me a little is the low contrast of the textures, but it's consistent across your texture set and actually works pretty well in this sort of clean sci-fi setting so I don't see that as an error. ;)
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Arvy wrote:
Vostyok wrote:You'd do it through TEXTURES, that's the easiest way I've found.

Aha! Of course, impassable mid texture in the air - great solution. Thank you for the advice.
Another option is to create actor definitions for each wall decoration (with, for example, the banner texture as the sprite), and give the actors the FLATSPRITE or WALLSPRITE flag. Place the actor in the map and align it with the wall, and voila!

I personally find this method easier when you have a lot of slopes and sector-based geometry, and it might be difficult to add another linedef for your banner texture, plus it's easy to add extra features to the actor if you want more than just a non-moving decoration (destroyable banners, switches that use ZScript logic, etc.).
Arvy

Post by Arvy »

Hey folks

The most recent area that I'm working on is the large tube, inpsired by the similar section in Republic Commando's "Ghost Ship" level.
One of the things that I'd like to introduce here is the zero gravity combat, that I hope will be both fun and refreshing in terms of gameplay.
Spoiler: WIP
AFADoomer wrote:Another option is to create actor definitions for each wall decoration...
Huh, this might be interesting to try since I'm curious to test various new (well, new for me) stuff in Doom. Thanks!
Cage wrote:This is shaping up very nicely! Keep up the good work.

One thing that bothers me a little is the low contrast of the textures, but it's consistent across your texture set and actually works pretty well in this sort of clean sci-fi setting so I don't see that as an error.
Thanks for the feedback.
Yeah, the contrast might be a bit low in several places, however I think this works for the gloomy, thick atmosphere that I'm trying to create in various sections throughout the level.
But if I see that the style harms the gameplay, I'll try to fix the problem :)

Cheers
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

this looks very good can't wait to play it.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”