[WIP] Darkest Forces: A Star Wars Inspired Mod

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Arvy

[WIP] Darkest Forces: A Star Wars Inspired Mod

Post by Arvy »

Spoiler: Trailer 1
Darkest Forces is a spiritual successor to the the LucasArts classic Star Wars: Dark Forces, produced in 1995. The project aims to capture the fun of old-school gameplay while using new tools available with GZDoom.
The goal is not to make a port, but to create a brand new experience, with most of the assets made from scratch.

The story will follow a Duros Resistance pilot named Jukhata Kortu kicking imperial ass around 20 ABY, across several locations including a decomissioned Star Destroyer, a desert planet and a repurposed Sandcrawler.

First and foremost this is a fun little experiment for me, as an artist and an avid fan of the old-school level desing, so I hope you folks will like it too!
The project is in the early stages but I'm pretty certain that at least third of it will be finished till mid-fall, considering that I'm trying to cut the scope wherever I can.
Spoiler: GIFs
Spoiler: Screenshots
Spoiler: Character Art
Here you go.
Check out my twitter for more @arvydas_b.

Cheers!
Last edited by Arvy on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:57 am, edited 8 times in total.
Enjay

Re: Darkest Forces: A Star Wars Inspired Mod

Post by Enjay »

JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Cool! I have been waiting forever for DarkXL, so this seems like a much welcome replacement! :D
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Well, colour me interested!!
GENTEK

Darkest Forces: A Star Wars Inspired Mod

Post by GENTEK »

Just WOW! Can't wait to see more! :wink:
Arvy

Post by Arvy »

Thanks for the enthusiasm, folks!

Here are a couple of super-quick and dirty sketches

1. For the HUD and the scattergun which I envision as a replacement for the super-shotgun.

Initially I thought about making it closer to the Battlefront and Republic Commando look, but I kinda prefer the handle vertical, not horizontal.

2. Protagonist and 2 bosses - captain of a group of Imperial Remnants - Isla Kessler and the Tusken slave and trained scout - Osh'yhr Fade.
HexenMapper

Post by HexenMapper »

Looks amazing! love the voice acting, textures and lighting. You managed to make a really exceptional soft-light look to the environments. Great job.

Definitely keeping an eye on this.
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

:o

WOW! Those textures look amazing! If I may ask, how did you get that style?

Keep it up! :)
Arvy

Post by Arvy »

HexenMapper wrote:Looks amazing! love the voice acting, textures and lighting. You managed to make a really exceptional soft-light look to the environments. Great job.

Definitely keeping an eye on this.
Thanks, mate! Although I don't think any voicelines from the video will make it into the mod, it'd be fun to reprise Ackbar :D
R4L wrote::o

WOW! Those textures look amazing! If I may ask, how did you get that style?

Keep it up! :)
Glad you like it!
As for the style - it's basically pixelart without any color restrictions, lots of low-rez gradients and a lot of antialiased parts.
I still envy the texture-work on something like Ancient Aliens or Putrefier - but I just keep telling myself that my textures are of different style :)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Oh my fucking god - this is brilliant stuff!!!
TDG

Post by TDG »

Hey this is pretty well done.
As others have pointed out you did a great job on the textures, rather than a very updated Doom mod it feels a bit more like a low resolution Jedi Knight mod (but that is not criticism)

Out of curiosity, is this placed in the Star Wars Legends timeline or the new Disney timeline?
I kind of have to ask as I prefer the Legends timeline (the one in which Kyle Katarn exists) over the Disney one.

Hope AFAdoomer will continue on the Star Trek mod again, another TC I am looking forwards to.

Heh; "others" not "pothers". Finger must have slipped
Last edited by TDG on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

@Arvy: could you shrink the size of your screenshots and images, please? We have a helpful guide on how to do that.
Arvy

Post by Arvy »

Blue Shadow wrote:@Arvy: could you shrink the size of your screenshots and images, please? We have a helpful guide on how to do that.
Done! Thanks for the guide - I was trying to resize them via bbcode before, but didn't have any luck.
TDG wrote:Hey this is pretty well done.
As pothers have pointed out you did a great job on the textures, rather than a very updated Doom mod it feels a bit more like a low resolution Jedi Knight mod (bit that is not criticism)

Out of curiosity, is this placed in the Star Wars Legends timeline or the new Disney timeline?
I kind of have to ask as I prefer the Legends timeline (the one in which Kyle Katarn exists) over the Disney one.

Hope AFAdoomer will continue on the Star Trek mod again, another TC I am looking forwards to.
Thank you for the feedback!

Yeah, as much as I love Legends too, I decided to place it in the Disney timeline, hence the First Order insignias and the updated stormtroopers.
However I'm thinking of adding a lot of stuff from Legends to the mix - there are some ideas about the return of Massassi, the Imperial Remnants and some non-current-canon weapons.
TDG

Post by TDG »

Arvy wrote:Thank you for the feedback!

Yeah, as much as I love Legends too, I decided to place it in the Disney timeline, hence the First Order insignias and the updated stormtroopers.
However I'm thinking of adding a lot of stuff from Legends to the mix - there are some ideas about the return of Massassi, the Imperial Remnants and some non-current-canon weapons.
Not criticism on the game design part of your project, which is well done.

I will give your Total Conversion a try when you finish it as I am a science fiction/fps-with-a-story fan but hearing that this will be put in the Disney timeline is already a bit of a downer for me me even if you will bring back some of the Legends material.
Sorry :(
Arvy

Post by Arvy »

TDG wrote: Not criticism on the game design part of your project, which is well done.

I will give your Total Conversion a try when you finish it as I am a science fiction/fps-with-a-story fan but hearing that this will be put in the Disney timeline is already a bit of a downer for me me even if you will bring back some of the Legends material.
Sorry :(
Sure, to each their own :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”