[WIP] Darkest Forces: A Star Wars Inspired Mod

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Arvy

Re: [WIP] Darkest Forces: A Star Wars Inspired Mod

Post by Arvy »

Hey, folks!

There are many things I love about the old-school level design and one of them is the notion of interconnected spaces throughout the maps. I think that horseshoe designs and looping navigation in general convey 2 particular ideas:

1) The "Aha, that's how you get here!" idea. When the design makes a player feel smart for finding a way to a place seen previously only from a distance. The navigation is the reward in and of itself in that situation.
2) The idea of a real tangible place, no matter how abstract the level layout actually is. The presence of common themes and shared structural elements makes the world feel like it has some internal logic, which hin turn makes the navigation easier.

These are the priniciples I'm trying to stick to while designing the layouts. Let's hope that they turn out well ;)

Meanwhile - some progress pics.

Cheers!
Spoiler: Screenshots
Spoiler: Map progress
Arvy

Post by Arvy »

Hi, folks!

Sorry for the prolonged absence, unfortunately some IRL stuff is currently blocking me on a couple of fronts but I'm sure that it will be resolved soon so I could delve right into Darkest Forces again.

I'm hoping to show you guys more progress by the middle of September, so stay tuned.

Also it was nice to receive a shoutout from Realm667 http://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/ho ... est-forces

See you soon, folks!

Cheers
Arvy

Post by Arvy »

Hi there, folks!

A bit later than expected but I'm finally back on track.
Right now I'm working on expanding the map areas, allowing for more deviations from the critical path. Also adding more visual details like railings, flags and other props as well as a reworked skybox.
Hope you like the results!
Spoiler: Screenshots
The next big chunk of work will include enemies and weapons, so stay tuned.

Cheers.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Ooooh yes
heron

Post by heron »

keep it up! you've got a fan here for sure.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

This is looking great so far, keep it up!
sdk2k9

Post by sdk2k9 »

This looks really cool and Dark Forces was the first Star Wars game I played but how many levels in this going to have?
Arvy

Post by Arvy »

sdk2k9 wrote:This looks really cool and Dark Forces was the first Star Wars game I played but how many levels in this going to have?
Glad you like it!
The plan is to have 3 stages.
Since it's a one-man-army endeavour, I'm trying to scale down the scope.
GordonGrand

Re: Darkest Forces: A Star Wars Inspired Mod

Post by GordonGrand »

Arvy wrote:Thanks for the enthusiasm, folks!

Here are a couple of super-quick and dirty sketches

1. For the HUD and the scattergun which I envision as a replacement for the super-shotgun.

Initially I thought about making it closer to the Battlefront and Republic Commando look, but I kinda prefer the handle vertical, not horizontal.
I really recommend using the horizontal grip if that is a Scattergun from Star Wars Battlefront. If you use vertical grip then you may change some differences on the blaster so it will be a completely different shotgun
GordonGrand

Post by GordonGrand »

Hope you add the E-11, A280, A280C, DH-14, DL-44, DLT-19, DLT-20A, EC-17, SE-14, and SE-14C
Arvy

Post by Arvy »

GordonGrand wrote:Hope you add the E-11, A280, A280C, DH-14, DL-44, DLT-19, DLT-20A, EC-17, SE-14, and SE-14C
That's a lotta guns.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

From what I can see on these screenshots, I can already tell you one thing: I will want to play more than three levels of this - and I am sure I am not the only one! :P Maybe after release, you can open map slots for the community to help you increase the level count. As a huge Dark Forces fan who was also digging Paul Corfiatis' Doomed Space Wars from 2015, this is exactly my stuff. Keep doing whatever you are currently doing, this is looking excellent already!
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

NightFright wrote:From what I can see on these screenshots, I can already tell you one thing: I will want to play more than three levels of this - and I am sure I am not the only one! :P Maybe after release, you can open map slots for the community to help you increase the level count. As a huge Dark Forces fan who was also digging Paul Corfiatis' Doomed Space Wars from 2015, this is exactly my stuff. Keep doing whatever you are currently doing, this is looking excellent already!
What he said... and that coming from a 90ies Duke3D/Build Engine nerd in support. I dig what I see and love your pixel juggling ;)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I agree, I see high potential on that but instead of making it public, you might be interested in gathering a few good mappers around you and do the thing as a team effort.
GENTEK

[WIP] Darkest Forces: A Star Wars Inspired Mod

Post by GENTEK »

This logo is really cool hehe nice job Arvy!!!
Last edited by GENTEK on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”