Diablo II Conversion Mod for Hexen v.0.1 alpha (07-27-2013)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AHeretic

Diablo II Conversion Mod for Hexen v.0.1 alpha (07-27-2013)

Post by AHeretic »

Hello, everyone,

I was asked multiple times by Void Weaver to post some info and share the files of my D2 conversion on this forum, so anyone interested could help out with expanding this project. Many thanks to Void Weaver for preparing / uploading all the files and screenshots, because it’s been a while, and I couldn’t even find many of those files on my computer anymore… I stopped working on this project several years ago, and likely will never have time to work on it again.

Description:The main idea of this mod is to clone the first act of Diablo II into Hexen. It was supposed to have all levels, monsters and other stuff, whereas the role playing aspect was supposed to be covered by Diabolic or WoC mod. The current version (0.1 alpha) serves more as a demonstration of the possibilities for importing Diablo monsters and effects into Hexen and using a bunch of cool script features. The scripts were written pretty poorly, but they nevertheless did the job.

Maps: There are four different maps, all using standard Hexen features. Monsters, some other graphics and sounds/music are mostly from Diablo II, but also from some other sources…

Difficulty: I haven’t really invested at that time into setting up different difficulty levels, and always tested the balance on a medium difficulty.

Cooperative: only single player at the moment, mostly due to the scripts that track player id number. This was meant to be fixed in the future versions.

Port: Back when I was making this mod, I recommended everyone to use GZDoom, because the mod heavily relied on dynamic lights, as well as used certain decorate features, that weren’t supported at that time by, say, Skulltag… As Void Weaver told me, GZDoom 1.8.10 has been tested and worked OK with this mod.

WoC: the D2 mod needs to be run with WoC. You probably could run it without WoC, but my scripts are set up to use the WoC player id, which is 256, as opposed to 1 in normal game. WoC version tested by me was 1.5b. Again, Void Weaver tested wrathofcronosr1_6a.pk3, and it worked just fine.
UPDATE: Apparently, scripts are not working correctly in 1.6cmsgfx
Spoiler: Gameplay features, walkthrough hints and notes
Spoiler: Some old screenshots
Spoiler: Some screenshots by Void Weaver from ready-made pack with a bonus lights
Spoiler: Old gameplay video
Spoiler: Download and Installation – this section was prepared solely by [url=https://forum.zdoom.org/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=16739
Spoiler: For developers

Diablo II Conversion mod homepage
Wrath of Cronos RPG mod zdoom homepage
Last edited by AHeretic on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
edypagaza
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Diablo II Conversion Mod for Hexen v.0.1 alpha (07-27-20

Post by edypagaza »

i want to see more
please update
keep it up
Void Weaver

Re: Diablo II Conversion Mod for Hexen v.0.1 alpha

Post by Void Weaver »

I deleted ready-made mod pack since I has found that WoC versions newer than 1.6а causes a some major bugs (unable to buy weapons, use torch and town portal). :oops: Sorry guys. I did compile and upload the new 1.6a-based ready-made pack and send notify for AHeretic, so I hope that he did update link soon.
AHeretic

Post by AHeretic »

I updated the links in the main post to account for change to the 1.6a version of WoC. I haven't checked it, but I suspect something has changed with the player ID, such that the scripts don't work in 1.6cmsgfx.
Also, check out our translated guide for pulling out sprites and other stuff from Diablo II (link at the bottom of the first post, under 'for developers' spoiler)
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

AHeretic wrote:I updated the links in the main post to account for change to the 1.6a version of WoC. I haven't checked it, but I suspect something has changed with the player ID, such that the scripts don't work in 1.6cmsgfx.
Also, check out our translated guide for pulling out sprites and other stuff from Diablo II (link at the bottom of the first post, under 'for developers' spoiler)
is this project dead? If there is still the zip file available and the project is dead, maybe i could use the zip file to get a head start on my diablo project, and ill add your name to the credits.
Void Weaver

Post by Void Weaver »

Yeah this project is abandoned for now, but is better to ask Alex personally or wait until he answer himself. If a somebody wants I can e-mail him about.

Btw, I recommend to pay attention on the his guide about transferring Diablo 2 resources into Hexen, if you haven't this experience yet but have the such intentions.
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

Thanks Void Weaver and Thank you Alex "Aheretic" for this work. The work is compatible with my project. Ill be sure to write your name in the credit section of the title menu.
AHeretic

Post by AHeretic »

irontusk341 wrote:is this project dead? If there is still the zip file available and the project is dead, maybe i could use the zip file to get a head start on my diablo project, and ill add your name to the credits.
Well, yes, I am no longer working on it, so you may use these resources for your own project. Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions regarding my files.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”