☼ Hedon 1.5.2 (Now on GOG) ☼

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mr.Enchanter

Re: ☼ Hedon(0.1.a) ☼

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Ed the Bat wrote:4 is what I'm using. This is what I see:
I have mine set to 2.

Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

If I were to do that, Doom would end up looking like this:
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Ed the Bat wrote:If I were to do that, Doom would end up looking like this:
Change it back when you play Doom? Most mods that I have played recently require me to do this.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Mr.Enchanter wrote:Change it back when you play Doom? Most mods that I have played recently require me to do this.
Really? Because that's an immediate deal-breaker for me. I can't think of any mods I play that won't function with default settings.
Deii

Post by Deii »

Ed the Bat wrote:
Mr.Enchanter wrote:Change it back when you play Doom? Most mods that I have played recently require me to do this.
Really? Because that's an immediate deal-breaker for me. I can't think of any mods I play that won't function with default settings.
Or just create another folder, copy your preferred port into it and run Hedon from said folder, just so it's separated from other IWADs or mods you usually play. It's what I do when I come across with that issue.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Deii wrote:I haven't gotten too far (just killed the first worm), but this is very interesting up until now. Will definitely keep tabs on this one and post again when I went through all of the demo.

Also, Zan looks absolutely fine. In multiple ways.
If I ever get someone to help me code some good friendly monsters, you'll surely enjoy the rest as well ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Spoiler:
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
chronoteeth wrote:Im really liking the design of the protag, but there are just a few personal critiques about her. Its a personal thing so ill only say if you ask.
Any critique is welcome, Zan's been my OC for almost 10 years now, I did tweak her a lot throughout. If the critique is regarding her HUD mug well... I suck at drawing faces.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Mr.Enchanter wrote:
Ed the Bat wrote:The HUD is too big to see over. It's basically filling my screen.
You can adjust the interface scale in the hud options. Default is 4 I believe.

Not only was the Select state for the Spiker causing issues, but so was the Deselect State for the Axe. For Deselect use Loop instead of wait.
Spoiler: Axe Decorate
Spoiler: Spiker Decorate
Oh, thanks a lot, dude. The Spike Gun was one of my first decorate works ever, I remember following the tutorial on Gun Labs, so I am not sure how to treat certain states. I made the changes and re-uploaded, check the new link. I'm going to add you guys to the credits for your feedback and help when I make a second testing release.

Ed the Bat wrote:
This is actually important. Ed, are you playing it from the downloaded folder? The default setting in qzdoom.ini should set your HUD scale to 1. Did you use other settings, or are the default settings included not working properly?
Here is how your screen is supposed to look like:
https://postimg.org/image/ejsbmr2l7/
This is an important problem which I want to solve, does your scale depend on like the resolution you use? The game is designed for wide screen, much like any other modern game.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, I'm glad you enjoy most of the graphic part, let's just hope we'll get the coding right as well. ._.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Mr.Enchanter wrote: Image
Even at that size and scale, it's still too big IMO... I mean the ratio between the 2D elements and the actual 3D view. I think the actual 2D art assets need to be scaled down half.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Nash wrote:
Even at that size and scale, it's still too big IMO... I mean the ratio between the 2D elements and the actual 3D view. I think the actual 2D art assets need to be scaled down half.
The default HUD size for Hedon is 1. Anything higher will look bad, especially when you have inventory items and weapons. I posted a screenshot on my post above at the end with how the screen should look.

Yes, I know, Hedon is meant to be a stand alone game, so unfortunately it won't be too compatible with anything else.

P.S. Can any of you guys test if inventory items work properly? One of my friends told me some tend to vanish when others are used or something like that..
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I am running Hedon_0-1-a.pk3 with my own version of GZDoom. The version of QZDoom in your download is four months old, and I see no reason to lock your project to a specific version this way. It would seem to me that adjusting your HUD to work with the default scaling would make more sense than to try to adjust the default scaling in your engine.

I am running at 1600x900 resolution, if you're curious.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Ed the Bat wrote: The version of QZDoom in your download is four months old, and I see no reason to lock your project to a specific version this way. It would seem to me that adjusting your HUD to work with the default scaling would make more sense than to try to adjust the default scaling in your engine.
I would agree. QZDoom 1.3.0 and prior (including 1.2.2) are no longer officially supported, anyway, ever since the merge of the true-color renderer into GZDoom saw an official release in GZDoom 3.0.0.

As inconvenient as it was that most of the scaling code saw a huge refactoring and pretty much ripped the carpet right out from underneath us - it was for the better, in the end, and it is suggested that you(@OP) run your game on the new GZDoom version.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Rachael wrote:
Ed the Bat wrote: The version of QZDoom in your download is four months old, and I see no reason to lock your project to a specific version this way. It would seem to me that adjusting your HUD to work with the default scaling would make more sense than to try to adjust the default scaling in your engine.
I would agree. QZDoom 1.3.0 and prior (including 1.2.2) are no longer officially supported, anyway, ever since the merge of the true-color renderer into GZDoom saw an official release in GZDoom 3.0.0.

As inconvenient as it was that most of the scaling code saw a huge refactoring and pretty much ripped the carpet right out from underneath us - it was for the better, in the end, and it is suggested that you(@OP) run your game on the new GZDoom version.
Hmm, will GZDoom get floor decals? That's also very important to me, I think the game will look totally half assed without them and flat sprites are pretty bad. Still, I will update the engine but the standard HUD scale will remain the same since I have no alternative if I want to use my hi res HUD graphics. Hedon will be made to run with an up to date engine, so that I will from now on account for.

Best I can do is create a user manual to explain what do do and how to adjust your stuff I guess.
I just don't know if I should use QZDoom or GZDoom, floor decals are going to be very helpful, and truecolor rendering will make sure my drawings are true to the original and not desaturated or w/e.
Last edited by Zan on Thu May 18, 2017 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Zan wrote:...the standard HUD scale will remain the same since I have no alternative if I want to use my hi res HUD graphics.
Scale them in TEXTURES?
Zan

Post by Zan »

Ed the Bat wrote:
Zan wrote:...the standard HUD scale will remain the same since I have no alternative if I want to use my hi res HUD graphics.
Scale them in TEXTURES?
Hmm, won't that cause jaggy edges to appear? The spike gun is scaled and if you look carefully you'll see the contour is jagged and looks crappy.
I will look into it, although the only real reason to do it would be enlarging the small font to make it easier to read.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

The base graphics for the spike gun already look jagged before scaling. TEXTURES really has no hand in that.
Zan

Post by Zan »

I switched it do GZDoom 3.0.0, but I'm getting lower fps and my water sectors glitch out when I'm farther away from them like in this screenshot. Anyone knows why?
https://postimg.org/image/dmlcvogyn/

Friends get the glitch too, anything I can do about it?

One more thing, I can't seem to remember how to work with TEXTURES
I added this in the lump
Spoiler:
But whenever I double click TEXTURES to enter the editor, I don't see the sprite anywhere at all, tried to zoom out and look everywhere. The Spike Gun sprites I can see in the list, they show well, but not this one...

Here's the full lump if anyone can tell me what's up
Spoiler:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”