☼ Hedon 1.5.2 (Now on GOG) ☼

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
RockstarRaccoon

Re: ☼ Hedon (0.5.a - New Demo Release! - 24 Mar.) ☼

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Yeah, it can be difficult with midevil shooters, because knives and crossbows don't light up and make loud noises when enemies use them. Normally I'd say put in better contrast, but I'm not really sure how to do that here...
Zan

Re: ☼ Hedon (Few New Screenshots) ☼

Post by Zan »

The 6th map has been finished :D I've restricted the build to patreon/dedicated testers only for a bunch of reasons (mainly to avoid spoilers and such).
Anyway, things are going pretty well with development, bumping with a few new screenshots.
RockstarRaccoon

Zan wrote:I've restricted the build to patreon/dedicated testers only for a bunch of reasons (mainly to avoid spoilers and such).
I'M GONNA POST SOME SPOILERS NOW.

HEDON: APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE BRAINPAN.
Alekv

Post by Alekv »

very impressive level design!
RockstarRaccoon

Oh yeah, Hedon is, at its good times, one of the most visually appealing things made in this engine.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Split the money rant here.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

I've had an eye on this for a while now, and just want to say that I appreciate the visual style of this mod (game now, I guess?). In particular, the cluttered indoor areas really tickle my fancy. I say this as a person that generally dislikes fantasy stuff.

I do share a lot of the previously mentioned frustrations with the cultist enemies. If you're still looking into solutions, perhaps adding a range check to their attack would help. It would serve to attenuate long range (and hard to see) projectile spam in the more open dark areas, while leaving the cultists close range behavior unchanged. Just a thought.
Zan

Re: ☼ Hedon (ZDoom Beta Release!) ☼

Post by Zan »

The ZDoom beta is out everyone! Check the main post for all the info.
Sasha_The_Lynx
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Sasha_The_Lynx »

This is way to exciting! People who hasnt played the new version yet will be in for an early christmass hehe ^^
Zan

Post by Zan »

I've updated the download with the latest modifications from the beta feedback. Hot off the press.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Hey, I can't believe I haven't posted on this thread before, I swear I did.

Anyway, just tried out the new beta. This is an absolute blast! I'm just entering the barracks now, but I love, love, LOVE this mod so far! The weapons feel very new and different, and the thrown axe feels like an absolute boss (but with the added trick of making sure you don't lose it). The lore is really interesting as you gradually put the story together, and this is probably one of the only mods where it feels like I really have to manage my inventory and special items to succeed! I'm playing on the recommened difficulty for now, but it feels just right for difficulty.

Had a bit of trouble figuring out how to get out the beginning map, but I suppose you've done this to get new players used to the way the mod is structured. And that (spoiler) you keep seeing, always seeming to be one step ahead. It really sucks you in and feels like you are fighting a losing battle but have to keep thrashing ahead regardless.

Top recommendation for this. I will keep playing and let you know how I get on :D :D
Zan

Post by Zan »

Thanks a lot, man, 'tis an honor.

Yeah, Map01 and 02 are definitely the toughest to design, and you pretty much got my intentions right. Starting off with the gameplay essence and that feel of fighting a losing battle. BUT yeah, they tend to deter a bunch of players, so I was thinking of ways I could make them more interesting for those who aren't used to explore and pay attention to what's going on around them.

Looking forward to your future feedback, there's also a Discord server if you want to join, but yeah, glad you like it so far :D
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Sure, I will do that when I've finished my playthrough. I just wanted everyone to know that your project is cool. Lol
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I really do not want to be "that guy", but first impressions were really bad. Map 01 is a dark, dreary, and terribly designed maze with bad music that got on my nerves. Its basically impossible to navigate without a map because of how dark it is. One thing that could have saved it is better use of lighting to guide the player, but instead the map is full of barely visible tunnels, paths, and dead ends. I recommend giving this map an overhaul, the very start of your game should not be designed in such an obtuse manner.
Zan

Post by Zan »

SamVision wrote:I really do not want to be "that guy", but first impressions were really bad. Map 01 is a dark, dreary, and terribly designed maze with bad music that got on my nerves. Its basically impossible to navigate without a map because of how dark it is. One thing that could have saved it is better use of lighting to guide the player, but instead the map is full of barely visible tunnels, paths, and dead ends. I recommend giving this map an overhaul, the very start of your game should not be designed in such an obtuse manner.
I've had a bunch of people complain about the dark, can you please post a screenshot because honestly I'm getting pretty damn sure it's a render/screen setting at this point.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”