Shadow over the Pathoras 1.1 Released

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderators: Developers, ZDoom.org Team

Shadow over the Pathoras 1.1 Released

Postby WolfSoft » Sat May 13, 2017 7:32 am

Shadow over the Pathoras is an epic adventure mod for GZDOOM that takes place in year 1650.

The story takes place in year 1650, when Ferdinand III. sends royal naval officer William Wolf and his assistant to England due to important business. They get caught by a storm on the way, so they decide to anchor next to a nearby island. What they don't know is, that the island is a part of an empire named Pathoras, where 20 years before a tragedy took place when miners found an entrance to hell. Shortly after a 10 years long war happened against "invaders from beneath". Citizens of Pathoras lost the war and a bunch of traitors started to rule the Pathoras. William finds an entrance to an old mine on the shore of the island, but when he enters it, the entrance caves in. Now he must find out, what happened to the country and help the people who still want to fight...

Features :
58 levels spread across 11 hubs.
A large variety of environments - woods, swamps, mines, deserts...
Single player campaign, Coop arena and 12 levels from single player for Deathmatch for up to 8 players.
12 weapons - from bare hands, sabre, mace to blunderbuss, axe and sword.
2 tools - torch and shield.
Weapon enchanting.
17 kinds of enemies.
A lot of original puzzles
instructions are packed in the zip

When I started developing this mod I borrowed a few things from GZDoom 2.2.0 decorates and also used this version during the development. From what I noticed, the newer versions of GZDoom break certain items and weapons - it tries to rename them, because the have the same names as some items from Heretic/Hexen, but this breaks then and so they don´t work as they should.

Special thanks to : Doomer97, Foulerworm, Jr1616 and Leebigh.

So unfortunately this mod is for GZDOOM 2.2.0 only !

Download : http://www.moddb.com/mods/shadow-over-the-pathoras or http://www.mediafire.com/file/hopx774ul ... _1.0.1.rar

Screenshots :
Spoiler:

Trailer :

This post was reconstructed from a browser cache. Please do not blank posts at the slightest hint of negative feedback. Thanks. -mgmt
Last edited by WolfSoft on Sat May 13, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WolfSoft

Re: Shadow over the Pathoras 1.1 Released

Postby Blue Shadow » Sat May 13, 2017 8:28 am

So you're denying people from using newer versions of the engine because you didn't put a good effort in naming your actor classes. Shame, really, considering how interesting the project sounds.
Blue Shadow

Postby _mental_ » Sat May 13, 2017 8:50 am

Download Error
The file requested (SOTP_1.0.2.rar) is for members only. Join now to start downloading.

Is this intentional restriction?
_mental_

Postby WolfSoft » Sat May 13, 2017 10:04 am

Blue Shadow wrote:So you're denying people from using newer versions of the engine because you didn't put a good effort in naming your actor classes. Shame, really, considering how interesting the project sounds.

You are the first one who complains about it - people on MODB and DoomWIP are okay with it. This was build and tested with 2.2.0 without any issues, so it´s not my fault that new GZDoom can´t handle decorate replacing.

Didn't put a good effort in naming actor classes - okay, so if the older version has no problem with it you expect the new one to be the same, right ?
WolfSoft

Postby WolfSoft » Sat May 13, 2017 10:05 am

_mental_ wrote:
Is this intentional restriction?

Kinda, but I updated the first post with an alternative link.
WolfSoft

Postby wildweasel » Sat May 13, 2017 10:44 am

WolfSoft wrote:You are the first one who complains about it - people on MODB and DoomWIP are okay with it. This was build and tested with 2.2.0 without any issues, so it´s not my fault that new GZDoom can´t handle decorate replacing.

The console warns you about it and everything, though - "Tried to register class more than once" should be a pretty clear indicator that you're not supposed to do that, right? =P
wildweasel
I love the smell of sourdough in the morning

Postby WolfSoft » Sat May 13, 2017 11:03 am

This is getting kinda off topic, so these are my last words to this GZDoom "issue" - I know, but the difference is that the old version overwrites the default decorate and the new does not.
WolfSoft

Postby Enjay » Sat May 13, 2017 11:28 am

wildweasel wrote:The console warns you about it and everything, though - "Tried to register class more than once" should be a pretty clear indicator that you're not supposed to do that, right? =P

In fact, there are console warnings throughout the mod about DECORATE and mapping errors.

@WolfSoft: It's not so much that newer GZDooms cannot handle what you have done in your mod. It's that the problems being reported by GZDoom have always been errors, even back in the version of GZDoom that you are using. The main change in GZDoom is that it has got better at reporting errors that, previously were not reported.

For what it's worth, here are the errors reported by GZDooms Git build from today. I guarantee that many of the mapping errors at least (and probably some of the others) would have also been reported by version 2.2.0.

Spoiler:
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby WolfSoft » Sat May 13, 2017 11:56 am

Okay,

There is no rule that prevents me from using an older version of ANY port whatsoever. You are acting like this gonna cause a nuclear war or something like that.

Okay, next time you start a thread about some project you are making I will post ALL bugs and errors you have in it, just because thats what everybody does, right ?

Done.
WolfSoft

Postby wildweasel » Sat May 13, 2017 12:02 pm

WolfSoft wrote:There is no rule that prevents me from using an older version of ANY port whatsoever. You are acting like this gonna cause a nuclear war or something like that.

Not at all - it'd just be nice if a person didn't have to dig for a specific version of GZDoom to play your mod. Because beyond the updates to the scripting engine that are the source of your headaches, there has been a large amount of bug fixes to the rest of the engine that, in some users' cases, mean the difference between the game running at all, or just crashing to desktop for no reason.

Okay, next time you start a thread about some project you are making I will post ALL bugs and errors you have in it, just because thats what everybody does, right ?

Done.

That is in fact a good thing to do and can help projects be cleaner, more compatible, and less likely to break when GZDoom needs to make major changes to the back-end.
wildweasel

Postby Enjay » Sat May 13, 2017 12:11 pm

WolfSoft wrote:There is no rule that prevents me from using an older version of ANY port whatsoever. You are acting like this gonna cause a nuclear war or something like that.

No need to get all upset. I posted the errors because they are errors. More importantly, I posted them because I thought the mod was good, and therefore worth fixing.

WolfSoft wrote:Okay, next time you start a thread about some project you are making I will post ALL bugs and errors you have in it, just because thats what everybody does, right ?

Ummm, yes, that is what many people do, and please do it for my mods. If you find an error in one of my mods, it's almost certainly because I missed it myself and I will probably want to fix it.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby WolfSoft » Sat May 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Like GZdoom 2.3.0 and 2.3.1 ? These are the best 100% bug free, totally tested builds in the history of GzDoom...or not ?
WolfSoft

Postby wildweasel » Sat May 13, 2017 12:23 pm

WolfSoft wrote:Like GZdoom 2.3.0 and 2.3.1 ? These are the best 100% bug free, totally tested builds in the history of GzDoom...or not ?

Probably best to target the version available on the front page of ZDoom.org, since that's what most people see first.
wildweasel

Postby Rachael » Sat May 13, 2017 12:28 pm

When GZDoom 2.4.0/3.0.0 fail to start your mod it's not because it is trying to be evil and buggy and what not. It is trying to get you to fix errors that are easily fixable. In this case, DECORATE replacement is only supported by naming the actor something else and using the "replaces" keyword to show what it is meant to replace - i.e.:

Code: Select allExpand view
actor NewChicken replaces Chicken
{
  // fancy stuff here etc
}

There really was never a need for this hostility or overreaction towards it. A simple gander over at the wiki, or even just posting a few questions in editing (that's what it's there for, after all) would have saved everyone, especially the OP, a lot of trouble and heartache. The only "stupid" question is the one you refused to ask.
Rachael

Postby WolfSoft » Sat May 13, 2017 12:29 pm

wildweasel wrote:
WolfSoft wrote:Like GZdoom 2.3.0 and 2.3.1 ? These are the best 100% bug free, totally tested builds in the history of GzDoom...or not ?

Probably best to target the version available on the front page of ZDoom.org, since that's what most people see first.

Like the people that saw these builds back in January ?
WolfSoft

Return to Hall of Unpleasantness