Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited (v. 4.0)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
User avatar
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Posts: 21368
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Post by wildweasel »

Tormentor667 wrote:Why 3DGE and not GZDoom by the way?

If I'm remembering the last handful of times CeeJay's been asked that, the answer is "it's just what he prefers."
CeeJay
Posts: 1452
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:52 am

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Post by CeeJay »

We are not going to start this again, are we?

I have been a long time supporter of the engine, back when it was the most advanced one out there. I find it's editing capabilities to be esy and user-friendly. And beyond that, I have never had any problems with it. It has always played fine for me on several computers and it doesn't require a beast-of-a-machine. It runs smoothly on low-end machines, with only occasional slow-downs. These are points I can not say for GZDoom, which I have had nothing but problems with. Is 3DGE perfect? Of course not, it has its share of faults but I would say the same about every other port. Speaking of which, 3DGE is one of the few still supported engines. The choice of port is getting more and more narrow by the year.

I am not going to suddenly switch ports just because people keep moaning and pestering me about porting it to GZDoom, it happens every time I release something. I'm quite sick of it to be honest and find it sad to see what the community has become. There was a time when there was like 20 ports to chose from out (Boom, PRBoom, MBF, Doomsday, Legacy, ZDoom, etc.) and people had mostly no problem with it.
User avatar
Dr_Cosmobyte
Posts: 2539
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:07 pm
Location: Killing spiders.

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I feel ya. Mugen suffered from similar problems.
CeeJay
Posts: 1452
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:52 am

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Post by CeeJay »

And just as I was writting my rant, I got another PM asking me if I could port one of my mods to GZDoom.
User avatar
Tormentor667
Posts: 13458
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:52 am
Location: Germany

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Post by Tormentor667 »

CeeJay wrote:We are not going to start this again, are we?

I as just curious, nothing else :) Thanks for the explanation, I get your point.
CeeJay
Posts: 1452
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:52 am

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Post by CeeJay »

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off on a rant. It just gets very frustrating at times. Hope you understand.

Really looking forward to the release of BoA chapter 2, the new sprites for the enemies look great.
User avatar
Jeimuzu73
Posts: 1656
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Dropping today in Station Square.

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

I guese you can say that CeeJay prefers to be..."3DGE-Y". 8-)
User avatar
Enjay
 
 
Posts: 26402
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:58 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Post by Enjay »

@CeeJay, I fully agree with you and support your stance on using your port of choice. Furthermore, this site should most definitely be friendly towards 3DGE. Projects aimed at 3DGE are most welcome, as it says above the box I'm typing in right now.
Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.


However,
CeeJay wrote:I am not going to suddenly switch ports just because people keep moaning and pestering me about porting it to GZDoom, it happens every time I release something. I'm quite sick of it to be honest and find it sad to see what the community has become. There was a time when there was like 20 ports to chose from out (Boom, PRBoom, MBF, Doomsday, Legacy, ZDoom, etc.) and people had mostly no problem with it.

While, again, I understand your rantette, it isn't too hard to imagine why you might get asked "why not GZDoom" on the forum for GZDoom. i.e. this isn't the wider community. I also feel that Torm was merely asking and not saying that you should use GZDoom. Clearly he has his answer now. :)
CeeJay
Posts: 1452
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:52 am

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Post by CeeJay »

Which is why I aplogized for my rant. It has gotten to the point where when I see the mention of "why not GZDoom" I get fired up.
User avatar
Enjay
 
 
Posts: 26402
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:58 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Post by Enjay »

We've all got our "buttons" and every now and again someone pushes them. ;)
CeeJay
Posts: 1452
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:52 am

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Post by CeeJay »

Jeimuzu73 wrote:I guese you can say that CeeJay prefers to be..."3DGE-Y". 8-)


I see what you did there :D
User avatar
RUNSABER
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Post by RUNSABER »

3DGE is a fantastic engine :D it seriously is in a realm of its own in the likeness of Risen3D, D64EX, and so on. I started mapping for Doom because of UTNT and GZDoom 1.8 respectfully, as the engine has progressed significantly since then! I enjoy CJ's mods for the fact they are ALWAYS different, same for other 3DGErs unlike myself. It's never just Doom with these guys, and that is exciting in itself, enough to download the engine and run a PrBoom set alongside the mod out of curiosity! I am different from the bunch due to wanting to make single-player gauntlet runs Quake style because I grew up with those games. After playing enough Heretic, your imagination starts to run and you play with the idea of expanding upon what's already there. Next thing you know, you've written code and have four wands to choose from instead of one!

What I'm saying is that, I love GZDoom. It is still my favorite port. Have I used it recently? To be honest I haven't, because my computer albeit a BETTER upgrade than my previous laptop is still not enough to run the engine. I use QZDoom to play Enjay's mods or run through port-exclusives. 3DGE is my daily driver, go-to and answer to the most advanced source port for intuitiveness. The relieving ease of the learning curve encourages you to become intuitive with all of its features (eventually). There's a few I haven't found a practical use for and don't use them. The engine needs a lot of work, yet so do we as players to report those bugs, explore the engine and build the community with contributions such as tutorials, maps, mods, content that can be absorbed instead of questioned - that way it can be less about why and more about WOO! You know?

BTW, releasing a GP vid on a UV run for this - this is the closest I can get to a Goldeneye style feel of espionage. Bare, and beautiful! This would play very well on the Dreamcast now that I reckon. I am excited to check that out, we wouldn't be modders at that point but actual homebrew modders :D
CeeJay
Posts: 1452
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:52 am

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Post by CeeJay »

Well, I am just about ready to toss in the towel on this one all thanks to a single map which is giving me so much damned headache because of the odd sequence leading to the triggering of the exit. If anyone can help me figuring out how exactly MAP22 (MAP14 in this mod) of Operation: Arctic Wolf ends, step-by-step, plese let me know. A shootable switch, platform raise, red door, crusher + barrel & boss brain. How does it all connect.
edgymemester
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Post by edgymemester »

CeeJay wrote:Well, I am just about ready to toss in the towel on this one all thanks to a single map which is giving me so much damned headache because of the odd sequence leading to the triggering of the exit. If anyone can help me figuring out how exactly MAP22 (MAP14 in this mod) of Operation: Arctic Wolf ends, step-by-step, plese let me know. A shootable switch, platform raise, red door, crusher + barrel & boss brain. How does it all connect.


That would seem like a waste. Why not just make a different ending?
CeeJay
Posts: 1452
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:52 am

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Post by CeeJay »

Think I was about to have a mental breakdown there for a second.

After stepping back and thinking about it for a while, I may have come up with a sollution. Also, technically the mod is near completion I would say.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”