Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited (v. 4.1) I'm outta here

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BFG

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited

Post by BFG »

Looking really fun! I like those new mug shots, maybe it is a different character, perhaps it is B.J's brother Nigel 'N.J' Blazkowicz, who was a soldier that was discharged for having polio disease (common in the 1940's), so he went solo, replaced his leg with a strong artificial one (made from similar material as Mecha Hitler's suit) and went off to do his own part for the war.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Don't get your hopes up, I recently changed the mugshot back to BJ. Sorry to disapoint. However, I also made some polish to the HUD while I was at it, getting rid of those ugly black outlines on the icons and whatnot.

armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

yea i noticed those black outlines during my testing.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

BFG wrote:perhaps it is B.J's brother Nigel 'N.J' Blazkowicz...
What a terrible name. Who would call their kid tha... oooohhhh!
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Nothing wrong with a little toilet humour
You'll be able to drink from smashed toilets, ala Duke Nukem 3D. 'cos interactivity is fun.

I've also changed two of the easter eggs to something a little more fitting, as the originals were a little odd to say the least. A smurf in the toilet onboard a submarine? I know it is both a reference to the Smurfs and an old video game but I don't get the connection. What does smurfs have to do with submarines, or water for that matter. It's just too random, which kind of makes the whole joke fall flat. The poster of the Yellow Submarine from the movie of the same name was a clever one, though. Probably should change the Bill Clinton one come to think about it, since it's a little dated by this point.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

CeeJay wrote: It runs smoothly on low-end machines, with only occasional slow-downs. These are points I can not say for GZDoom, which I have had nothing but problems with.
I'm just wondering: What's the issues you had with GZDoom? It sounds a bit strange to me, I always had problems with SDL 1.x ports, which for many years meant I steered clear of nearly everything else but ZDoom and children. It only got better after ports started using SDL 2.

Also, speed: 3DGE running faster than GZDoom? That's something I never heard before. What kind of hardware do you use?
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

On my current hardware this is what I get when trying to run GZDoom
Spoiler:
I remember having it working on one of my older computers, but I would get a lot of slowdowns. I just didn't run very well. EDGE/3DGE has always run fine for me on every computer I've had.

EDIT: I never said 3DGE was faster than GZDoom. I just said it runs smoothly.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

What's your specs? My guess would be Intel HD 3000, because the extension error is a classic bug of Intel's GLSL compiler that has already prompted several workarounds and HD3000 would be the only hardware advertising as GL 3 but requiring an extension to use uniform buffers.

I need to know precisely because that driver will require special handling so that it is forced down to GL 2.x.

Can you run 'GZDoom +logfile log.txt' and post the output?
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

I have a HD 3200 ATI Radeon

If its the contents of log.txt you're after, then here you go:
Spoiler:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sigh...
It's truly amazing what 'quality' ATI's drivers of early GL 3.x hardware were... :(
OpenGL 3.1 should mean GLSL 1.4, yet this only reports 1.3 and this discrepancy just fell through the cracks. No wonder you are having problems with this particular graphics card and driver, it's probably the worst thing imaginable for GZDoom.

I'll have to add a check that this gets forced down to OpenGL 2.1, because the GL 3 renderer cannot work with the given feature set.

Is this even the most recent driver available? Even for this hardware something better should be available, the card is nominally capable of running OpenGL 3.3.
DeathIncarnate

Post by DeathIncarnate »

The cancelled mugshot kinda looked like B.J from RTCW.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Kinda does, actually.

This project has not been abandoned for those wondering about its status, I just haven't had as much time to work on it. The only big thing I have left to do is to write the text for the crawl at the end of the game, which'll be interesting since my grammar is horrible.
CeeJay

Re: Operation: Arctic Wolf Revisited NEW screenshots

Post by CeeJay »

Work is slow and steady.

All new screenshots:
Spoiler:
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Lookin' excellent CJ.

Can you tell us what else we can expect next? :p
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Expect to see a full release soon. It won't be No Blade of Agony, but it'll be a bucket of fun with a surprise or two along the way.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”