[WIP] Defragmentation (Demo 2 released)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[WIP] Defragmentation (Demo 2 released)

Post by kevansevans »

Download Demo:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9az35uvtrhxc ... .1.7z?dl=0

Story:

The UAC has started investing in hyper realistic augmented training simulations. after sucessfully reverse engineering demon technology, the simulations can inflict real experiences through electromagnetic induction to the brain, making the volunteer believe the pain they feel is real, including, but not limited to: gun shots, burning, acid, blood loss, knife wounds, insect bite, animal bite, frostbite, Beretta bite, and reverse bite. Inflicting these experiences was merely phase one, testing had shown that while feeling very real, subjects exposed recovered phenomenally for unknown reasons, albeit in shock for several days. These were merely chalked up as anomalies and research is still pending. This is where you come in, phase two of the experiment. The UAC needs to make a training course, and after offering a hefty sum of cash to cover for several lifetimes for the trauma you might experience, you find yourself muddling over the stories you've heard about this machine. This experience. This... simulation.

It's just a simulation, right?
Spoiler: Authors notes on this mod

Download Demo:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dm3f62lxz7ikf ... _2.7z?dl=0
Last edited by kevansevans on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:29 am, edited 11 times in total.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Re: [WIP] Defragmentation

Post by kevansevans »

http://i.imgur.com/bQlkkDlh.png

I was told there wasn't enough light.
So I added some.
Not that it'll help.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I want this so badly. I'm a sucker for horror stuff like this.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

There's probably plenty of brightmap wads out there, but it felt too much of a cop out if I went with a catch-all solution, so I went by hand and made the brightmaps myself.

Going to try to keep posting screenshots of progress as I go.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Didn't this already have a thread?
Seriously, though, I'm genuinely interested to see what further developments come of it. The atmosphere is very interesting and evocative.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

Ed the Bat wrote:Didn't this already have a thread?
Seriously, though, I'm genuinely interested to see what further developments come of it. The atmosphere is very interesting and evocative.
Darn I knew I was forgetting if I had made the thread. Oh well, sorry about that. But coming from you I really appreciate you looking forward to it.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

Haven't made much headway in terms of what's being added. It's going along at a pace I like. No ETA, but if things are going the way i want, this should be an hour long map.
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

Hey, anything works for me haha.
Spoiler:
There's just something about uncertainty that creeps me out, and so far you've done a good job. 8-)
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

Chloroxite

Post by Chloroxite »

This is an excellent mod in progress.
My main criticism is the excessive use of that single jumpscare. It became very predictable towards the end, I could tell what was triggering it, and it only made me roll my eyes. Perhaps remove it?
Another minor gripe is that the wad lacks a bit in map detail, perhaps spruce it up a bit. Even the waiting room could use a few toys.
Other than that, this mod is rip with atmosphere that kept me on my toes, and in some cases resulted in me jumping at the sight of a shotgunner to the face.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I've been busy with other things, so I have to apologize that I'm only just today getting to trying this out. However, before I began to play, I opened it out of curiosity, and I found that MAP03 is not defined in MAPINFO. What I presume should have been MAP03's definition is, instead, a second MAP02 definition.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

Thanks for catching that. Map isn't currently accessible right now so don't worry about it. I accidentally replaced the demo version I originally uploaded, so there a lot of unfinished stuff I didn't plan on anyone exploring just yet. So if possible, only worry about the "warehouse" section. The event after you obtain the blue key is when it was originally meant to end.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Thanks for the info. Even with the 'early' ending, am I to expect this is longer than the demo from the older thread?
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

Shorter actually since I eliminated a lot of the wandering aspects of it. Takes me about 15 minutes when the real meat of it starts, but only because I know what to expect and where to go.

EDIT: If you don't want to spoil yourself outside of what I wanted you to see, I have a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn8QsQCpG5Q
Last edited by kevansevans on Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”