Call of Abdulov [Commercial - GZDoom-GPL]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Linkom Games

Call of Abdulov [Commercial - GZDoom-GPL]

Post by Linkom Games »

Description:
Old-school brutal first-person shooter in Serious Sam style on the theme of Abduloreligion (famous russian parody religion). Russia was gripped by an epidemic of a terrible virus that distorts the mind and the body of the people, turning them into dumb and ugly monsters. Only you can stop the source of infection and to save the world, not allowing further spread of infection. You have to go through a long and hard way from 30+ levels: to visit the cities filled with evil creatures; stroll along a remote Russian village; to visit the past, and to participate in the Kuril landing operation of 1945; learn the spooky secrets of unit 731 etc. In addition to the regular weapons in the game will also be available and equipment: tanks, helicopters, military robots.

Key Feature:
-Charismatic protagonist (Reviews master on YouTube), who will comment on all your actions.
-Many levels: city, filled with evil creatures; Russian picturesque village; USSR; Kurile Islands; Unit 731 etc.
-More than 10 weapons, ranging from old machete and ending nuclear grenade launcher and battle magic.
-7 bosses.
-3 difficulty levels.
-GZDoom GPL Engine.
-More than 1000 enemies on some levels.
-Various types of enemies, each of which you will have to select a specific tactic.
-The leveling system for your character and weapons.
-A lot of secrets and easter eggs.

Trailer:

Early Beta Wlktrough 1080p 60fps:
Spoiler:
Screenshots
Spoiler:
Arts and models:
Spoiler:
Funny game reviews in English from Abdul (Protagonist of the game):
Spoiler:
Steam Greenlight Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =875384352
IndieDB Link: http://www.indiedb.com/games/call-of-abdulov
Last edited by Linkom Games on Thu May 25, 2017 9:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
protox

Re: Call of Abdulov [Commercial - GZDoom-GPL]

Post by protox »

Interesting, art style reminds me of Postal 2 in some ways.

Gameplay wise it looks like some fun mindless carnage.

I see a lot of technical achievements on GZDoom engine, so good work.

The swearing voice over, personally I find it extremely annoying.

If you are publishing the game as a commercial product, I hope you have all the rights to all the textures and stuff. I noticed you have TV footage in the trailer from a Russian News channel for example.

Anyways good luck and hope you find success.
ReX

Post by ReX »

So unlike DooM. I like it!

Good luck with the project.
Linkom Games

Post by Linkom Games »

Anyways good luck and hope you find success.
Good luck with the project.
Thanks!

New concept art:
Image Image Image
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

So you actually will add combat Magic?? :o Sounds awesome!! 8-)

Really hope to see a huge spectrum of all possible versatile overpowered, interesting and deadly fun Magic of all sort, type and taste. Will sure subscribe to you on greenlight to support your mod! 8-)
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

The video contains an abnormal amount of profanity. :stuppor:
Linkom Games

Post by Linkom Games »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:So you actually will add combat Magic?? Sounds awesome!!

Really hope to see a huge spectrum of all possible versatile overpowered, interesting and deadly fun Magic of all sort, type and taste. Will sure subscribe to you on greenlight to support your mod!
Thanks! Magic will be in the form of spell books. Game start with one spell, but you can upgrade and buy new spells for coins in the levels.

New character models:
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Goblins Productions

Post by Goblins Productions »

What version of GZdoom is in the demo?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Interesting game concept but the lack of English support is problematic for me because I understand nothing about it. I mean, I sat through an (as far as I can tell) unskippable 10+ minute introduction that consisted of the game camera looking at a book in a language I don't know (I assume Russian) while someone read the pages to me, also in Russian(?). 10 minutes later, I knew little more than when the game had started. After that, I was treated to a fairly slow intro of the protagonist waking up with a hangover and then receiving a call, in Russian(?). He then switches on the TV and watches a news braodcast (which was done really well BTW) in Russian(?).

So, we're about 12-4 minutes in and I still know nothing and have been able to do nothing. Finally I get to wander around my(?) apartment. When I [use] some things, I get treated to some more fairly lengthy dialogue in Russian(?) while my character is frozen.

Eventually I get outside and, so far gameplay (now that it has finally started) seems very Serious Sam-like but still I'm bombarded by words I simply don't understand all the time. I'll give it another go at some point, but it's late here.

[Edit] just to be clear - I have no objection to the game being in Russian. That's fair enough. It's just that with there being so much content I can't understand it would be nice if I could skip those bits. Even if I did speak Russian and even though the intro is well done, I don't see me wanting to have a book read to me for 10 minutes every time I start a game. Unskippable cutscenes are generally considered bad.

Also, because I have no idea what was said, I don't know if I was given any mission critical information or not. Some sort of language independent clue system might be useful (e.g. floating arrows above important items, that kind of thing).
Linkom Games

Post by Linkom Games »

Also, because I have no idea what was said, I don't know if I was given any mission critical information or not.
The cutscenes contain important information about the story, so I will add English subtitles in the next version (I will try to find a good translator).
Unskippable cutscenes are generally considered bad.
The ability to skip the cutscenes will be in the next version.
floating arrows above important items, that kind of thing
good idea, I'll do it
What version of GZdoom is in the demo?
Slightly modified 2.3.2
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Cool, thanks. I look forward to finding out what it's all about. ;) I had a feeling that the information I was being told in the intro was quite important (otherwise why would you have spent so much time on it) but given that I couldn't understand any of it, it just became 10 minutes of me hoping that the next turn of the page would be the last one.

I am looking forward to playing more of the game though. It really does look interesting.
Mánibranðr System
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Mánibranðr System »

I would definitely want to try this out when it gets on Steam.

Also, a Life of Boris cameo would be rad.
vfkfz123

Post by vfkfz123 »

Выглядит прикольно, но вот вопрос, Абдуль(ъ) будет единственным персонажем?Потому-что смотря на отсылки в трейлере, мне кажется что там будет-гринч, и пикуза, не знаю почему, но у меня такое предчуствие.А саму игру-жду с нетерпением.
vfkfz123

Post by vfkfz123 »

ArcheKruz wrote:I would definitely want to try this out when it gets on Steam.

Also, a Life of Boris cameo would be rad.
It could be there, however-Boris is never appeaared in Abdul's story, It will be more logic if Pikuza or Grinch will be added to game.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

vfkfz123 wrote:Выглядит прикольно, но вот вопрос, Абдуль(ъ) будет единственным персонажем?Потому-что смотря на отсылки в трейлере, мне кажется что там будет-гринч, и пикуза, не знаю почему, но у меня такое предчуствие.А саму игру-жду с нетерпением.
Google Translate wrote:It looks cool, but the question is, will Abdul ()) be the only character? Because looking at the references in the trailer, it seems to me that there will be a grinch and pikuza, I do not know why, but I have such a predchustvie.A game itself, I'm waiting eagerly.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”