Daytime Drama [VERSION 1.14 FINALLY HERE]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Daytime Drama [Updated 03 March 2017]

Post by Ed the Bat »

I've also just run into an issue where breaking the television in MAP03 endlessly spams the console with errors about a missing 'TVBROKEN' class. This also seems to lock a message onto my HUD about how to use AXX grenades, despite not having picked any up for a little while now.
protox

Post by protox »

Nice work, original concepts and content is always awesome.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II

Post by SanyaWaffles »

Ed the Bat wrote:I'm trying to play MAP02 but am finding an invisible wall blocking me
Fixed. I'm currently uploading new PK7 and standalone version.
Ed the Bat wrote:I've also just run into an issue where breaking the television in MAP03 endlessly spams the console with errors about a missing 'TVBROKEN' class.
I can't seem to reproduct this. Could you take a screenshot of this in action? And make sure if you're still using the standalone pk7 to use the latest gzdoom dev-builds.
Ed the Bat wrote:This also seems to lock a message onto my HUD about how to use AXX grenades, despite not having picked any up for a little while now.
I included hints, but I find them more annoying personally than helpful. If you want to get rid of hints in future playthroughs, try the hints setting under Experience.
Spoiler:
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

SanyaWaffles wrote:
Ed the Bat wrote:invisible wall
Fixed. I'm currently uploading new PK7 and standalone version.
Thank you.
SanyaWaffles wrote:
Ed the Bat wrote:breaking the television in MAP03
I can't seem to reproduct this. Could you take a screenshot of this in action? And make sure if you're still using the standalone pk7 to use the latest gzdoom dev-builds.
Screenshot
I'm finding that I can't reproduce this on a new game, warping to MAP03, but can reproduce it reliably with my saved game from when I played to MAP03. I suppose it's possible there's a minor corruption of some kind in my save file. I'm using QZDoom-q1.3pre-1130-g21a8964be-x32 (March 3rd), so I'll try updating as well and report back if it happens again or if I learn anything else about it.
SanyaWaffles wrote:
Ed the Bat wrote:lock a message onto my HUD
I included hints, but I find them more annoying personally than helpful. If you want to get rid of hints in future playthroughs, try the hints setting under Experience.
Spoiler:
I understand about the hints option, and that's fine. But hints are only supposed to appear for a few seconds, and only upon relevant events (such as picking up the item). This message appeared upon breaking the TV, and wouldn't go away, so I figured it was related to the console spam issue above. Again, if I learn more, I'll report back.

Addendum: Devbuilds from today onward cannot run Daytime Drama until it declares a ZScript version.

Second addendum: Oh my. Just ran into a game-ending error.

Code: Select all

VM execution aborted: array access out of bounds. Max.index = 2, current index = 3

Called from DD_PoliceLamp.ThowPoliceJunk at ddrama.pk7:zscript/ddrama1/props/light_sources.zsc, line 172
Called from DD_PoliceLamp.A_DestroyPLamp at ddrama.pk7:zscript/ddrama1/props/light_sources.zsc, line 186
Called from DD_PoliceLamp.Die at ddrama.pk7:zscript/ddrama1/props/light_sources.zsc, line 198
Called from Actor.A_Explode [Native]
Called from DD_FiredRocketSeeker.StateFunction.1 at ddrama.pk7:zscript/ddrama1/weapons/rocket_launcher.zsc, line 117
Called from state DD_FiredRocketSeeker.1 in DD_FiredRocketSeeker
I shot a seeker rocket at a Police lamppost in MAP05, but I am able to reproduce reliably by attacking it with any other weapon.
SanyaWaffles

Re: Daytime Drama [Updated 05 March 2017]

Post by SanyaWaffles »

I have fixed the Daytime Drama not working with newer dev builds. My custom WIGZDoom executable is in the process of being updated and should be uploaded, along with a fixed version that'll also fix the police lamp breaking bug and a dedicated version at the top. I will edit this post when all that is done.

As for using QZDOOM, I have no idea why it'd spam that error but both WIGZDOOM and GZDOOM dev-builds don't show that error. Curious. I should test QZDOOM just to see if there's any other oddities I need to address, be it bug reports or otherwise.

As for the hints, I'm thinking it has to do with me switching compilers for the library I use - gdcc-acc. Cuz I know they dsisappear in the past until I switched. Not to say the compiler is at fault, I should be aware of any subtle differences if there are before putting it into production environment.

If the hints are not disappearing I'm gonna need to figure out why. I will try to see if I can fix this regardless.

EDIT: I realize in the code you SHOULD be able to press BT_USE to cancel/clear the hint and it should never appear again. Obviously something is amiss on it being stuck so I made some changes to the code to clear hints. In the end I may just add some worldbuilding stuff that explains the objects.

Maybe Ice Bear would be a better way to give hints than an obnoxious HUDMessage. What do you all think?

Anyhow, updated version should be uploaded shortly.

EDIT 2: Updated both ddrama.pk7 and the bundled version.
Ed the Bat

Re: Daytime Drama [Updated 05 March 2017]

Post by Ed the Bat »

SanyaWaffles wrote:As for the hints, I'm thinking it has to do with me switching compilers for the library I use - gdcc-acc. Cuz I know they dsisappear in the past until I switched. Not to say the compiler is at fault, I should be aware of any subtle differences if there are before putting it into production environment.
Ah, perhaps that explains some things. I saw one or two other errors that, upon examining your ACS, I couldn't figure out. For instance, during the end credits, some of the text wasn't showing. For instance, "ENDMAP_CREDIT_SOUND" appeared in place of the actual sound credits, even though you seem to have such a string properly defined in LANGUAGE.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Daytime Drama [Updated 06 March 2017]

Post by Rachael »

Other than the renderer everything should be exactly the same between QZDoom and GZDoom (otherwise I'd go ape shit with Graf's updates to the playsim, to be honest. :P).

So if you are getting VM errors, it is exactly the same VM as GZDoom, meaning there is an issue with either the mod, your config, or the VM itself. Unless, of course, QZDoom's drawers are not playing nice and putting random bytes where they should not go. :P
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

The Police lamppost is indeed fixed now. And since Sanya mentioned using a different ACS compiler, I'm banking on that being the root of the ACS-related errors, like the missing messages and the console spam -- The raw ACS file looked okay, but something made the engine think that texture name was an actor...?
SanyaWaffles

Post by SanyaWaffles »

Rachael wrote:So if you are getting VM errors, it is exactly the same VM as GZDoom, meaning there is an issue with either the mod, your config, or the VM itself. Unless, of course, QZDoom's drawers are not playing nice and putting random bytes where they should not go. :P
I'm actually wondering if that, mixed with using gdcc-acc is the root cause as I've tested it on GZDoom and my own custom version and haven't ran into it on my end - but I haven't tested QZDoom at all.

On the other hand I notice some oddties outside that so I dunno.

As for the message spamming, probably has to do with durations (they're handled as fixed point IIRC). I'm probably gonna make Ice Bear give player hints. For now I'd disable the hints, and query the items if need be. I did add what the item did to the Item Tag/Description.

What do you people think? I know it's my project but I wanna make it the best project that it can be.
SanyaWaffles

Post by SanyaWaffles »

I'm making a separate post but something Ed the Bat showed in that screenshot gave me a hint in combo of what Rachel said and discussing the issue with Lud made me realize something.

http://edthebat.com/images/Screenshot_D ... 133633.png

TVBROKEN is a texture name. It's not anything, outside being referenced, to do with ACS nor is it an actor name.

There's a dummy object you break that does some ACS magic (that isn't quite there in ZDoom) that in turn "breaks" the TV linedef.

This object itself is named DD_RegularTVController

I'm beginning to think it might be a QZDoom only issue as no one has reported this and I can't report it. And I have no idea why it'd break even then unless some of the magic RGBA drawers under the hood is messing with the code somehow.

EDIT: I'm testing it using the latest QZDoom dev-builds. I just got done with the 64-bit version, no ACS related errors.
EDIT2: Tested 32-bit version. No ACS related errors in that one level.

I really dunno what to say at this point. :o
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I'm wondering if it's an error with GDCC-GCC. Maybe have DavidPH look at it?
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I have not run into the issue with the TV since that first playthrough. However, the end credits are broken every time I play them. I can't see anything in the raw ACS lump or LANGUAGE lump that seems incorrect, which has me convinced it must be a problem with the compiler.

Also, if I could ask a favor, Sanya... could the Keys be given icons to match the HUD graphics (e.g., DD_RedKey given Inventory.Icon "STK_RED1")? I play with a custom HUD of my own design, and since the keys currently use their high-resolution pickup sprites as icons, they're absolutely titanic.
SanyaWaffles

Post by SanyaWaffles »

Ed the Bat wrote:I have not run into the issue with the TV since that first playthrough. However, the end credits are broken every time I play them. I can't see anything in the raw ACS lump or LANGUAGE lump that seems incorrect, which has me convinced it must be a problem with the compiler.
I'm suspecting a conflict of ACS libraries as both the cutscene control (not used much outside some functions) and the 'cookbook' library (the bulk of my games' ACS shared stuff) with the built in ACS compiler bundled with GZDoom Builder (i.e, the official one) perhaps. I'll look into the cutscene not playing correctly, that might be just poor coding on my part. I'm new to making cutscenes in games.

That said if it helps, I can supply the command line I give to compile both cookbook.o and cutscene.o. Maybe I need to throw a switch somewhere in the mix. Or a #directive. I dunno. I have my doubts about this but unless I have definitive proof...
Ed the Bat wrote:Also, if I could ask a favor, Sanya... could the Keys be given icons to match the HUD graphics (e.g., DD_RedKey given Inventory.Icon "STK_RED1")? I play with a custom HUD of my own design, and since the keys currently use their high-resolution pickup sprites as icons, they're absolutely titanic.
I am in the process of uploading a fix. The status keys might be a bit lo-res but they'll definitely not be that ginormous.

Also included in this fix is the fact Christmas Crackers are no longer ACS-driven. They are entirely driven by ZScript now.

However I also disabled hints. I feel maybe Ice Bear may be better at delivering hints to the player.

Anyhow, the new builds with a slightly different naming convention are up.

EDIT: I have gone through each map and recompiled it's BEHAVIOR lump with GDCC-ACC and I have also fixed the credits on my end.
Ed the Bat

Re: Daytime Drama [Updated 09 March 2017]

Post by Ed the Bat »

The credits are fixed now, and my custom hud is very happy with the key icons. Thanks so much for your help!
SanyaWaffles

Re: Daytime Drama [Updated 09 March 2017]

Post by SanyaWaffles »

The newest builds may not be compatible until the GZDoom dev-builds are up to date.

Recent additions to ZDoom allowed me to strip alot of what was done in the ACS library to ZScript.

So the bug with the TV should NEVER happen again. Ever. A few more tests.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”