Consolation Prize: Console TCs for Gameplay Mods (p11 N64up)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Consolation Prize: Console TCs for Gameplay Mods (p11 N6

Postby Renegade4339 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:49 pm

A pretty neat TC but I have a suggestion now as a modder:

Can you place a lump for certain mods like Hideous Destructor to detect it since it uses lump detections. I'll be glad if it is now in the next update.
Renegade4339

Discord: Renegade4339#4339
Github ID: 90155229

Postby Kinsie » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:45 am

Renegade4339 wrote:A pretty neat TC but I have a suggestion now as a modder:

Can you place a lump for certain mods like Hideous Destructor to detect it since it uses lump detections. I'll be glad if it is now in the next update.
I'm fairly ignorant as to the inner-workings of HD. What would I need to add, and why? What part of this mod fails to work properly with HD?
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby ZikShadow » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:36 pm

None, as far as I know. Played through several maps with HDest without much issues. Not sure what Renegade's talking about, here.
EDIT: From what I've read, Renegade's planning to make a mod for HDest that adds in the Unmaker. I suspect the query here is so that when loaded with ConPri, the spawns could appear where they should be in D64.
ZikShadow

Postby Caligari87 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:55 pm

That sounds more like something that should be on the Unmaker mod, not Consolation Prize. Using a LevelPostProcessor, the mod can detect the unique map it's loaded on and place the appropriate spawns accordingly, before the game even loads.

8-)
Caligari87
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089
Github ID: caligari87

Postby Kinsie » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:47 am

ZikShadow wrote:From what I've read, Renegade's planning to make a mod for HDest that adds in the Unmaker. I suspect the query here is so that when loaded with ConPri, the spawns could appear where they should be in D64.
Certain actors in Doom 64, like the Unmaker and Mother Demon, are handled in Consolation Prize with placeholder actors that spawn vanilla actors and can be replaced as seen fit. In addition, the player is granted an inventory item called "PlayingDoom64" whenever they spawn or respawn. Combine this with ZScript, and you've got a few options. :)
Kinsie
Dog Days

Postby 00face » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:26 pm

So many Doomers are greedy, selfish, or downright dicks. But then, you got guys like you who are true heroes. Thank you so very much, I literally hoped someone with the know-how, would do this soon. :3:
00face

Discord: 00face#7808

Postby Eric_ » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:37 pm

Kinsie wrote:What part of this mod fails to work properly with HD?

Unrelated to that discussion, but the custom gravity conflicts with HD's own, and the CVAR to disable it doesn't work as expected because it forcibly sets gravity to 1.0 when disabled. Changing the script to just not do anything when d64_playergravity is 0 fixes this and works as normal with other mods that aren't crazy enough to mess with the default gravity.
Eric_
we just don't know.

Postby Kinsie » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:27 am

Eric_ wrote:
Kinsie wrote:What part of this mod fails to work properly with HD?

Unrelated to that discussion, but the custom gravity conflicts with HD's own, and the CVAR to disable it doesn't work as expected because it forcibly sets gravity to 1.0 when disabled. Changing the script to just not do anything when d64_playergravity is 0 fixes this and works as normal with other mods that aren't crazy enough to mess with the default gravity.
Late, but consider it done.

N64 Update

Changes in Version 1.6a
  • Changed up D64 Gravity option to only lower gravity at level start and do nothing if turned off, to accomodate Hideous Destructor and other mods with changed gravity.

In other news, I had a look a while back at either redoing these mods based off of DOOM CE or making alterations to allow the D64 Lost Levels conversion generated by DOOM CE's install process to work... and I'll be blunt - the way that mod works makes my tiny brain hurt. I fully encourage someone else to show me up and add support for it!
Kinsie
Dog Days

Postby ChopBlock223 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:35 am

Lost Levels was great and more people should play it, only thing I can provide is encouragement, however.
ChopBlock223

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:02 pm

Wait, is Id Software and Night Dive Studios okay with fan ports of The Lost Levels?

I get that Doom 64 is in a legal gray zone, given how it is a 20-year old game that has been out of circulation for a while, but The Lost Levels were created specifically for the official re-release.
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby ChopBlock223 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:33 pm

I don't think there's any legal gray zone for Doom 64, because that game is actually being sold again (on multiple platforms), so if you want to support Kaiser, you could buy this new port. I thought modern console compat and the new episode was well worth the price of admission, and it's a good way to play the game. Being able to turn off the blur filter was a great bonus to me, as well.

To actually get this new episode, I think that you would do the same thing as Doom64EX used to do. You provided Doom64EX with a ROM dump of an actual Doom 64 cartridge, and then it would convert that into a .wad file with al the assets and content for 64EX to read. Assuming you dumped your own cartridge, this would then be entirely legal, so similarly, assuming you bought the PC version of the new Doom 64 ports, you would use some kind of program to turn that into a .wad file for other ports to use, and this would be a legal way to go about it.
It'd be like buying classic Doom from GOG and then using them with GzDoom.
ChopBlock223

Previous

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects