Consolation Prize: Console TCs for Gameplay Mods (p11 N64up)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Consolation Prize: Console TCs for Gameplay Mods (Parts

Post by wildweasel »

Sorry, WW-Nazis probably can't be fixed for this situation given the way it's set up. You'll just have to try another mod.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Can I at least try V2? All it needs is a fix for the keys.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I am playing the PSX Doom TC version with a minimod of my own making that replaces Spectres with Cacodemons on Nightmare difficulty. However, at the beginning of MAP05 "Phobos Labs", the first encountered enemy is still a Spectre. Does the TC feature an additional actor for the Spectre? If so, what is its name?
taufan99

Post by taufan99 »

In MAP03 of the DOOM 64 Absolution version, the center switch opening the central room with Lost Souls only does so, instead of revealing the yellow key. It is also not high enough to allow the player to pass to the room. The lift at the side opposite of the entrance is not usable, either.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

taufan99 wrote:In MAP03 of the DOOM 64 Absolution version, the center switch opening the central room with Lost Souls only does so, instead of revealing the yellow key. It is also not high enough to allow the player to pass to the room. The lift at the side opposite of the entrance is not usable, either.
The key only spawns when the Lost Souls die, as in the original Doom 64 version. As for the height, go to the edges of the surrounding walkway. You should be able to step up slightly and then from there, step onto the edge to get back down.
Techokami
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Techokami »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I am playing the PSX Doom TC version with a minimod of my own making that replaces Spectres with Cacodemons on Nightmare difficulty. However, at the beginning of MAP05 "Phobos Labs", the first encountered enemy is still a Spectre. Does the TC feature an additional actor for the Spectre? If so, what is its name?
PSX Doom added a new variant of the Spectre called the Nightmare Spectre; it has inverted colors and does twice the damage with twice the HP. The TC did implement these guys! But to make it compatible for mods that want to use their own Nightmare Spectre, such as MetaDoom, in Consolation Prize these monsters have a custom definition that defaults to the vanilla Spectre, but can be overridden.
The Doom 64 TC version of Consolation Prize does something similar for Nightmare Imps, the Unmaker, and the Demon Keys.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

It's time once again to return to the world of Doom 64, with your favorite gameplay mod in tow.

I've redone the port to be based off the latest version of Doom 64 Retribution, which includes two new episodes of custom maps, which I've included against my better judgement!

But don't worry, the original maps have also gotten all their patches etc, so they'll play better as well.

Your changelog for this evening...
  • Redid the whole thing based on D64 Retribution 1.4, likely fixing a raft of map bugs in the original port, making things more consistent AND adding two episodes of usermaps that don't seem very good!
  • Replaced the MIDI files with the OGGs from D64MUS.PK3 because I hate having to change my soundfont for one mod that much.
  • Added a CVAR that uses the power of ZScript to toggle Doom64's player class gravity. Sort of. I think it only works when starting a new game. This can probably be done better.
  • Replaced the horrible "Shadow Knight" monster in the code with a standard Hell Knight spawner.
  • Modified MAP01 to use the actual Doom Explosive Barrels instead of the weird "Barrels, but using Doom64's DoomEdNum" thing, to hopefully improve the chances of the MAP32 exit opening when playing mods.
  • General under the hood stuff that goes with porting a WAD to a PK3.
Download!

I admittedly haven't tested this too hard, so let me know if anything breaks too violently and I'll get right on it. Thanks!
Last edited by Kinsie on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Kinsie wrote:which I've included against my better judgement!
Redid the whole thing based on D64 Absolution 1.4
likely fixing a raft of map bugs in the original port
making things more consistent AND adding two episodes of usermaps that don't seem very good!
I hate having to change my soundfont for one mod that much
Replaced the horrible "Shadow Knight" monster in the code with a standard Hell Knight spawner
Modified MAP01 to use the actual Doom Explosive Barrels instead of the weird "Barrels, but using Doom64's DoomEdNum" thing
You really hate me don't you? I'm detecting a serious grudge and maybe you should cool it kiddo.

Calling my project "Absolution" on purpose, saying there's a "raft" of bugs, randomly saying the "usermaps" aren't good because why not, complaining about a simple INI setting that takes seconds to change, ragging on the new enemy that doesn't even affect Consolation Prize and calling the different barrels weird when you forgot Doom 64 has it's own number so it was easier to just inherit with the new number to make it easy for them to already be there when converting the original maps.

Trying to get a rise out of me? Want to get me banned again because I disagreed with you (and a shit load of others) in the past? Well whatever, you aren't getting it this time. Anything else to complain about?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Nevander wrote:Calling my project "Absolution" on purpose
No, that one was entirely by accident. I had Absolution on the brain. I'll edit the posts and reupload the file with an updated text file.
Nevander wrote:saying there's a "raft" of bugs
My original Consolation Prize edit was based on 1.0 of your mod, which had issues that you went on to fix, that I didn't backport. By redoing everything based on 1.4, everything is up to date (or at least, just behind up to date now that you've released 1.4a).
Nevander wrote:randomly saying the "usermaps" aren't good because why not
No, I said that because I don't like them. But they're there, so removing them would be a waste. v :| v
Nevander wrote:ragging on the new enemy that doesn't even affect Consolation Prize
A nearly-invisible Bruiser is bad design. Recolouring it and giving it the Nightmare Imp treatment would probably work better.
Nevander wrote:and calling the different barrels weird when you forgot Doom 64 has it's own number so it was easier to just inherit with the new number to make it easy for them to already be there when converting the original maps.
It was easy to fix in code, but I'm pretty sure the way I did it (preserving replacements etc.) caused problems with the MAP01 secret exit, so I did a quick find-replace on the TEXTMAP to reduce the odds of a malfunction.
Nevander wrote:Trying to get a rise out of me? Want to get me banned again because I disagreed with you (and a shit load of others) in the past? Well whatever, you aren't getting it this time. Anything else to complain about?
Settle down.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Nevander wrote:Trying to get a rise out of me? Want to get me banned again because I disagreed with you (and a shit load of others) in the past? Well whatever, you aren't getting it this time. Anything else to complain about?
If anything, it's the attitude, not the viewpoint. But I must agree with Kinsie here, this is not worth getting upset about.
Nevander

Re: Consolation Prize: Console TCs for Gameplay Mods (p7 UPD

Post by Nevander »

Kinsie wrote:A nearly-invisible Bruiser is bad design. Recolouring it and giving it the Nightmare Imp treatment would probably work better.
Well somehow in the original TC they had Hell Knights that were nearly invisible at that same place, I don't know how they did it because I didn't delve into the how but I saw an opportunity to make a new enemy type (that I can use sparingly, obviously) that works better than simply changing the translucency of some regular Hell Knights with ACS. I also wanted to work them into the head canon/lore so that they are like the "guardians" of the Mother Demons or something, I don't know. It was just an idea but I am open to increasing their alpha so they are more on par with Nightmare Imps.
wildweasel wrote:this is not worth getting upset about.
That I agree with, I have more work to do still. About 20 maps still left to convert! Off to the editor I go!
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

where is the n64 maps? i am ocnfused man
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

It's right above you!
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

@Kinsie, there's a small oversight that still remained from the initial conversion. The RandomSpawner replacements for the Nightmare Imp, Unmaker, Demon Keys, etc. lack a SpawnID. This means that, while the spawners for things already in the map work as intended, ACS scripts that spawn things via ID are broken. For example, on MAP03, the nightmare imps around the starting point are normal imps, but as soon as you move to the center, of originally 8 enemies (4 imps & 4 nightmare imps) only 4 will spawn.

The IDs are as follows:

64Pistol: 157
Unmaker: 168
UnmakerUpgrade1-3: 162, 163, 164
64Nightmareimp: 155

Just put "SpawnID xxx" into the actor definition and you're good to go.

P.S.: The Unmaker & Upgrades don't need a spawn state or a transfer of flags and specials, just use the same RandomSpawner + DropItem method. Also, the pistol definiton was deleted entirely, just turn it into a RandomSpawner with DropItem "Pistol", or else the Pistol in the test facility won't respawn.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Kinsie wrote:Your changelog for this evening...
  • Added a CVAR that uses the power of ZScript to toggle Doom64's player class gravity. Sort of. I think it only works when starting a new game. This can probably be done better.
For testing, I started a new game with default gravity and entered "give doom64playergravity" into the console. It worked as expected, setting self.gravity to 0.7. However, "take doom64playergravity" didn't work, leaving me stuck with the altered gravity. The printinv cmd didn't list it either, despite it being an inventory item.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”