Consolation Prize: Console TCs for Gameplay Mods (p11 N64up)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nevander

Re: Consolation Prize: Console TCs for Gameplay Mods (Part 1

Post by Nevander »

GAA1992 wrote:Just a quick question, can custom skies be added too?
Depends on how the skies are used. If they are purely with MAPINFO by changing which sky you use, no problem. If they are actually in the map (i.e. skyboxes) then that will be a PITA.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Consolation Prize: Console TCs for Gameplay Mods (Parts

Post by Kinsie »

Part 2: Doom 64 Retribution

In this second part, I've malformed Nevander's wonderful Doom 64 port to make way for new set of feet, hooves and wheels to roam through these dark and blurry corridors for the first time, free from the menace of terrible edits of an outdated Doomsday TC!

Changes from Doom 64 Retribution:
  • Converted the whole shebang from WAD to PK3 thanks to Graf's WadExt tool
  • All of the custom monster and weapon definitions have been removed, to make way for gameplay mods
  • Custom MENUDEFs and SBARINFO have been removed, to make way for gameplay mods
  • Weapons and inventory items specific to Doom 64 have been replaced by a RandomSpawner that drops something vanilla, both making way for pre-existing gameplay mods and allowing future mods to specifically add new items into these slots.
  • Nightmare Imps have been replaced with a RandomSpawner, for the reason listed above, that spawns a standard Imp.
  • Ditto the Mother Demon and a Spider Demon.
  • Modified Soulspheres used in two maps for specific effects have been replaced with standard soulspheres (the Soulsphere in Hectic is deleted from the map during quitting, so 100% SHOULD still be possible)
  • The fade-in at the start of all maps (and from the end of MOST maps) has been removed, partly due to personal preference, partly due to some mods like Demonsteele implementing their own starting fade-in.
  • MAP00 (the prologue text) has been removed.
Download (~7mb)
(Grab the OGG Music Pack too!)
Spoiler: Original Doom 64 Retribution Credits
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Ah, excellent, kudos for this sir.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Kinsie wrote:In this second part, I've malformed Nevander's wonderful Doom 64 port to make way for new set of feet, hooves and wheels to roam through these dark and blurry corridors for the first time, free from the menace of terrible edits of an outdated Doomsday TC!
Wow that was fast. How hard were the edits? I tried to make it as easy as possible to remove things and not break everything. It gets tricky though when spawning stuff like Nightmare Imps since they use a new spawnid.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I was very surprised to see Dark Imps in Map03 when I played with Samsara. A quick check in Slade told me they were there for Skulltag compatibility, but I'm still not sure what part of what wad caused them to spawn in this.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Just uploaded a small, but vital fix to Doom64 that fixes an issue where the second and third Demon Key replacements would not spawn. Thanks to Yholl for noticing this!
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I've also noticed that in Outpost Omega, shooting the switch that originally made the Unmaker spawn plays the item spawn sound, but nothing appears.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

what an absolutely awesome idea...
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I've updated the Doom 64 section with some important additions and fixes:

- Unmaker spawning stuff is handled differently now, in a way that should work better in scripts.
- Unmaker Key Icon tokens have been re-added to the DECORATE, so that gameplay mods can use them to handle locking the spawners in MAP28.
- Upon entering a map and respawning, players are now granted an invisible inventory item called "PlayingDoom64", so that gameplay mods can detect that the game is playing and make changes accordingly.

Have fun!
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Ah, I see what you did there... haha... :D

This looks awesome! I've been wanting something like this so that I can run through stuff with Guncaster or Trailblazer... but I hadn't found suitable weapons to replace the Unmaker or its keys...

Now, I know that what I'm about to suggest was not a console port... but do you think you could do the same thing with Threshold Of Pain (Parts 1 and 2)? (Of course, if you did, create a separate thread for this so that this thread remains a "console-'port' only" thread...)
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

One more update for Doom 64, fixing an issue where Barrels would be the base Doom barrels instead of whatever your gameplay mod replaced them with. Let me know if this causes problems with getting the MAP01 secret - I'm not sure how to effectively debug that one.
durbdoogle

Post by durbdoogle »

Kinsie wrote:Image

Part 2: Doom 64 Retribution

In this second part, I've malformed Nevander's wonderful Doom 64 port to make way for new set of feet, hooves and wheels to roam through these dark and blurry corridors for the first time, free from the menace of terrible edits of an outdated Doomsday TC!

Changes from Doom 64 Retribution:
  • Converted the whole shebang from WAD to PK3 thanks to Graf's WadExt tool
  • All of the custom monster and weapon definitions have been removed, to make way for gameplay mods
  • Custom MENUDEFs and SBARINFO have been removed, to make way for gameplay mods
  • Weapons and inventory items specific to Doom 64 have been replaced by a RandomSpawner that drops something vanilla, both making way for pre-existing gameplay mods and allowing future mods to specifically add new items into these slots.
  • Nightmare Imps have been replaced with a RandomSpawner, for the reason listed above, that spawns a standard Imp.
  • Ditto the Mother Demon and a Spider Demon.
  • Modified Soulspheres used in two maps for specific effects have been replaced with standard soulspheres (the Soulsphere in Hectic is deleted from the map during quitting, so 100% SHOULD still be possible)
  • The fade-in at the start of all maps (and from the end of MOST maps) has been removed, partly due to personal preference, partly due to some mods like Demonsteele implementing their own starting fade-in.
  • MAP00 (the prologue text) has been removed.
Download (~7mb)
(Grab the OGG Music Pack too!)
Spoiler: Original Doom 64 Retribution Credits
Always the 3rd screenshot for me. Which mod is that? :oops:
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Matsilagi
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Matsilagi »

Do you think you can make the Doom64 mapset compatible with this aswell?
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=50656&start=15

Or atleast teach me what i would need to mod in con_doom64 to make it compatible.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Matsilagi wrote:Do you think you can make the Doom64 mapset compatible with this aswell?
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=50656&start=15

Or atleast teach me what i would need to mod in con_doom64 to make it compatible.
Umm... using that with Retribution would pretty much be the same as just using the original version of Retribution. :?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”