Consolation Prize: Console TCs for Gameplay Mods (p11 N64up)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nevander

Re: Consolation Prize: Console TCs for Gameplay Mods (Parts

Post by Nevander »

Kinsie wrote:abuse animated textures to forcibly disable wall decals or whatever it was they were trying to accomplish.
Sounds like they were trying to force authenticity by making decals impossible to make anywhere instead of just telling people to turn decals off if they want an accurate experience. That's what I did in Retribution except I didn't mention decals. I assume everyone uses them and doesn't mind them.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

Kinsie wrote:
MrRumbleRoses wrote:could it be possible to make the PSX Doom redone to work for Zandronum? i find it kinda weird that it won't work with it originally, but the Doom 64 thing will
Sure, just get a time machine and tell the PSX Doom TC team to not be fucking idiots that abuse animated textures to forcibly disable wall decals or whatever it was they were trying to accomplish.
well, i'm a bit confused by that. cause i do know that theres a PSX Doom TC that is able to be ran on Zandronum, but the version from this doesn't work with it. i mean, unless this was using a older version or something kinda like the Doom 64 mod is. but i don't know the history of the PSX Doom stuff
DevilBlackDeath

Post by DevilBlackDeath »

Just one word : my savior !

I really wanted to play Doom 64 Retribution with D4T, but the added view sway and player speed of Doom 64 Retribution made it unbearable (although it's fine with no mod, but D4T is kinda quick so well :P) but now it's just so much fun. The ambiance of Doom 64 with the mechanics of Doom 4 is just perfect ;)
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

DevilBlackDeath wrote:but the added view sway and player speed of Doom 64 Retribution made it unbearable
What view sway?
DevilBlackDeath

Well if there's no vieux sway in D64R (didn't try it alone yet but it's downloaded) then maybe D64R and D4T changes different variables that together creates the away ;)

Combining them made the player pretty heavy in terms of movement with a pretty strong sway :S
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

There should be no view sway or "heaviness" in unmodded D64R. It should feel like playing Doom 2 but with a slower overall speed.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Nevander wrote:There should be no view sway or "heaviness" in unmodded D64R. It should feel like playing Doom 2 but with a slower overall speed.
I just tried D64R on it's own, with D4T and then using the Consolation Prize version with D4T. On it's own there is some view bobbing. With D4T this view bobbing felt ever so slightly more which I think is because D4T changes the movement speed, but it didn't feel significantly more. Then when using Consolation Prize with D4T (which should just be the D64R maps using only the D4T gameplay changes) it felt much the same. So I'm not seeing what the view sway or heaviness is either.
DevilBlackDeath

Korell wrote:
Nevander wrote:There should be no view sway or "heaviness" in unmodded D64R. It should feel like playing Doom 2 but with a slower overall speed.
I just tried D64R on it's own, with D4T and then using the Consolation Prize version with D4T. On it's own there is some view bobbing. With D4T this view bobbing felt ever so slightly more which I think is because D4T changes the movement speed, but it didn't feel significantly more. Then when using Consolation Prize with D4T (which should just be the D64R maps using only the D4T gameplay changes) it felt much the same. So I'm not seeing what the view sway or heaviness is either.
That's weird :S Gonna try to upload a video ^^ Because it didn't feel the same at all when I switched over to consolation prize, and having now tested D64R alone, I can say I don't feel any heavy bobbing !

Edit : Well I I don't know what I was doing wrong (maybe added another WAD for no reason or modified a CVAR) but that heavy sway was probably me misconfiguring my bat to launch the mod :S I still feel a sway but not that strong. Neither do I feel a latency in starting to run. Well ! Still thanks for CP as it allows for D4T voxels to work even for barrels and it removes the custom monsters (like the blue ghastly enemies in MAP03) and apologies for my mistake :S
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: Consolation Prize: Console TCs for Gameplay Mods (Part 1

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Rozy wrote:This is pretty cool and saves me the work of doing it myself again. Any plans to do one that integrates PSX lost levels too?
I would like to know as well. PSX Doom TC also now included Master Levels and NRFTL, so it would make sense to have them added to the mapset.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

Ran into an issue with this on PSX's MAP08 while testing Doomzone. Apparently, ThingCount() doesn't play nice with RandomSpawners. Any way MAP08 can be changed up to use the Baron Special? Might be a little bit more universally friendly for gameplay mods.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

I got trouble playing D64R with WW-Nazis - the keys don't work. I mean I got the blue key in level 1, but I can't get through the door asking for a blue key.

Never mind, the dev version works.
Last edited by Wiw on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

silentzora wrote:Ran into an issue with this on PSX's MAP08 while testing Doomzone. Apparently, ThingCount() doesn't play nice with RandomSpawners. Any way MAP08 can be changed up to use the Baron Special? Might be a little bit more universally friendly for gameplay mods.
I'm not quite sure on this one, but do your RandomSpawners have a TID or SpawnID? If necessary, those can be transferred to the monsters themselves. That might fix it. :D
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Looks like the dev version of WW-Nazis has other problems in D64R... any triggers that rely on picking up weapons can't operate if I have to swap it or I already have it.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Just fire a bullet or something from the gun you need to pick up. I am not familiar with that mod so the swapping mechanic might break stuff if swapping doesn't count as "picking up" to the engine.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

That doesn't work.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”