Doom 64: Retribution

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Doom 64: Retribution - Gameplay Video!

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Ah, the ol' soundfont trick.

Looking forward to that release.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

It's a pity nobody's combined the MIDIs and soundfont into tracker modules that are nice and platform-independant and don't require the player to mess around with their config settings to sound right. I gave it a quick go once, and just putting the two together only did 50% of the work, and I didn't know enough to do the other 50% myself... :(
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Fortunately I can set MIDI device assignments, which means the only step you'll have to take is set fluid_patchset to DOOMSND.SF2 and you're done. You won't even have to change to FluidSynth, you can keep it on FMOD in settings and they still work. Anyone who already uses FluidSynth won't need the instructions, most likely only the soundfont. For those who are new to the process, there are detailed instructions on setting it up.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Oh, I already use Fluidsynth with a whopping great big soundfont that makes GZDoom freeze for a couple of seconds the first time a MIDI loads, and I know how change soundfonts. I just think it's a not-ideal solution and I wish there was a better one.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Kinsie wrote:Oh, I already use Fluidsynth with a whopping great big soundfont that makes GZDoom freeze for a couple of seconds the first time a MIDI loads, and I know how change soundfonts. I just think it's a not-ideal solution and I wish there was a better one.
Yea then you'll just need the soundfont if you don't already have it which is included, but others may not know a thing about fluidsynth. However, there is also an OGG pack of the music that I was given to by Devalaous, which is a good solution for stuff that can't use fluidsynth.

I actually ended up resorting the MIDIs by using the names in the OGG pack which were stuff easy to remember and none are duplicated. Stuff like D64TITLE, D64INTER, D64MUS01, etc. Originally I had replaced all the original Doom 2 MIDI tracks by doing the usual D_DM2TTL, D_DM2INT, D_RUNNIN and such. The new method doesn't save much file size in the mod since they are all still MIDIs, but it will make any and all future music replacements have smaller sizes. The only downside is now you can't replace a single level's music without potentially affecting others, not without patching the MAPINFO.

Anyway, went a bit off topic.

EDIT: omg 64 replies! :mrgreen:
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Sorry for double post but I have just tested the mod on GZDoom version 1.8.6 (as many have expressed they can't use the 2.x branch) and it runs pretty much perfectly. There was only one thing that prevented it from running, and that was a stupid flag on the Cacodemon and Pain Elemental called +DONTTHRUST. Apparently it doesn't get ignored like the Skulltag +CLIENTSIDEONLY does and stops execution. It wasn't critical to have that flag, so I've removed it to maintain 1.8.6 compat.

I played a little bit on each map just randomly doing things and I didn't find a single bug that just immediately stood out. All the guns work, everything in the maps looks just as they did in 2.0.05. If there are bugs in that version, you can report them as usual when release comes. Although, I can't guarantee that I will make a major effort to keep the mod bug free in old versions, because there will undoubtedly be some bugs that would ruin something in new versions to get it right in the old ones. But, the mod runs and can be played. That's what matters most for release.

Gotta say, playing it for a while in the default resolution of 640x480 felt pretty damn good. It as if I had my N64 hooked up to my monitor and somehow was able to play Doom 64 with 60 FPS. I highly recommend trying that out when you get to play it, sort of a "nintendo" mode. Set all the graphics settings to the look that would resemble the N64's graphics, and maybe even set resolution to 320x240 like the original. I think you can only set it that low through the INI though.
leodoom85

Re: [WIP] Doom 64: Retribution - Release is Near!

Post by leodoom85 »

Hi Nevander. If you were testing on GZDoom 1.8.6, does this mean that could work in Zandronum as well?
Also, I'm using Timidity++ for the sound in the meantime...
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

leodoom85 wrote:Hi Nevander. If you were testing on GZDoom 1.8.6, does this mean that could work in Zandronum as well?
Also, I'm using Timidity++ for the sound in the meantime...
I'm not sure about Zandronum compat, but if it's close enough to GZDoom at that version, then I suppose it would. I actually didn't know that Timidity was used for soundfonts just like fluidsynth, that is interesting. I don't know which would be better to use, but I do know that one of them is absolutely required to play the music correctly with Doom 64's soundfont. In my experience, fluidsynth is really easy to set up so that's why I chose it for now. You could override the mod so that it uses Timidity but you'd have to make a patch to change the SNDINFO $mididevice settings.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Actually, if the soundfont is a .sf2 file, then it's super easy to configure that and I know how :)
For the Zandronum compat, I guess the only option is to try it and see
JoexxZombie

Post by JoexxZombie »

This is looking great. I'm happy to hear you kept compatibility with older gzdoom. Can't wait to play.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: [WIP] Doom 64: Retribution - Launch Trailer!

Post by armymen12002003 »

Awesome job with that trailer really really looking forward to the release tomorrow.
SoulCircle

Post by SoulCircle »

Can't wait for this release, I have been waiting for such a perfect piece for too long! And... I think you just made lose an afternoon!
Popsoap10

Post by Popsoap10 »

About god damn time GZDoom (and possibly Zandronum) got a Doom 64 mapset for it. Ever since I saw Doom 64: Absolution, I've been waiting for some GZDoom equivalent.

Nice work for managing to do what no one else had the will to do.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Version 1.0 of the total conversion is released! Have fun guys.

Please report any bugs here or on ModDB, I will be adding a bug reporting template to make it easier in a little while.
XLightningStormL

Re: [1.0] Doom 64: Retribution - Launch Trailer!

Post by XLightningStormL »

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”