Doom 64: Retribution

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Nevander

Re: [v1.3] Doom 64: Retribution

Post by Nevander »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I would also like to replace Imps with their nightmare counterpart, but as you told me before, it cannot be done.

However, one thing I have yet to figure out is how to change the name of the difficulty mode itself. I tried changing the names in MAPINFO, to no avail.
Actually it can, I misunderstood the wiki page. Just do ReplaceActor = "DoomImp", "64NightmareImp"

The name of the difficulty is a graphic, so you need to remove the picname property in MAPINFO, then you should be able to change name to whatever.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Awesome! Thanks. :wub:

On an unrelated note, though, it seems like entering MAP01's secret exit still does not count as a secret. I even tried no-clipping through it, to no avail.

I guess it really is not that big of a deal, since there is no score screen leading to MAP32, but still, I find it a bit odd.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Back when that was first brought up, I checked the original map in Doom Builder 64 and the teleporter nor the moving floor before it is a secret sector. I suppose this was to keep suspicion down when the game was first released of MAP32 and the cheat menu being a thing.

What do you mean by "there is no score screen leading to MAP32?" If I take the secret exit from MAP01 I get the score screen and then the text intermission to Hectic, then Hectic loads.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Really? I guess I must have not played Hectic that often with your mod, because I do not remember there being a score screen preceding it in Doom 64 EX.
Last edited by JohnnyTheWolf on Mon May 22, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Wait I think we've confused each other here. I took your reply about the score screen to mean that mine did not have the score screen when it should, but I understand what you meant now. Yes, in Doom 64 EX there is no score/tally screen prior to Hectic. I'm not sure why this is, and would be easy enough to remove but it feels odd not to see your score when you exit any playable level, so I kept the score screen for it.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Out of curiosity, do you plan to add the cut Doom monsters (Chaingunner, Revenant, Archvile, Spider Mastermind) to Retribution?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I might add the Chaingunner because he's the only one I can find half decent Doom 64 sprites for. The Revenant, Archvile and Spider Mastermind do not have Doom 64 style sprites to use so that they fit in with the theme. A Tchernobog rip might work for Brutal Doom 64, but I would not use that in my mod. I'd want original sprites that are specifically made in Doom 64's style. Even then, the Chaingunner sprites are still a little weird so I'm still not sure. I am considering possibly not adding any new monsters at all.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Given how active and productive the Doom community has been for the last two decades, it is weird that nobody has made proper sprites for the missing Doom 64 monsters.

You would think it would have been a much more straightforward task than to create brand-new monsters, like Realm667 did.
McConville

Re: [v1.2] Doom 64: Retribution

Post by McConville »

Nevander wrote:Lol did you click Show More? Anyway it's called Pure Evil by Like a Storm. I edited it into an instrumental. Kinda sloppy but that's why I made the trailer the way I did. Died on purpose when the scream comes in and fade to black suddenly when the end part comes.
Thank you. That was an oversight of me - sorry that I've asked. Next time I'll keep my eyes open.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

you know, I've only just got round to playing the test facility map. lot of fun there. however, I digress. the point I wanted to raise is to ask why the pickup for the pistol is a scaled-down huge sprite? (well huge by doom64 standards anyhow) would not something like this:
deag.png
deag.png (1.28 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
be better suited. I just made this as an example to show what I mean.
I just thought that something like this ( but perhaps done better than I have) would make the pistol pickup look less jarring against the rest of the arsenal pickups... just my two cents is all...
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

The one I'm using now was pretty much the best Desert Eagle sprite I could find, and the amount it's scaled down can always be changed but I left it at the size it's at now because it looked right to my eye. Remember, a Desert Eagle is a big ass pistol in real life. I had to recolor some other sprite to darker gray because the only one out there was chrome. There's just not much in the way of Doom 64 specific resources.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Yeah all that is fair enough but I think I've failed to get my point across. I'm saying that the size of the pickup is fine. The fact that it has been scaled is what looks jarring... mixing higher res resources with lower Res ones that are the same type (weapon pickups, ammo, power ups etc, all should match really...) just seems odd. However it's only one opinion. If that's how you wanted it to look then it's spot on isn't it :wink:
SNEAKY

Post by SNEAKY »

Thank you so much for making a proper ZDoom/GZDoom/Zandronum Total Conversion of Doom64! Keep the good work, Nevander. I appreciate it. \(^.^)/
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

I'd recommend creating an "Enhanced" class, similar to Beautiful Doom- this would let you have smooth, better-feeling weapons, content you want to add to Doom 64 (e.g. the chaingunner, perhaps an assault rifle or a new hell noble) without losing the original feel in the Vanilla mode.

In addition, these sprites are great and fit well with the game- fixing the issue of zombiemen and shotgunners being essentially impossible to differentiate in the dark. Making them a toggleable option would be a good idea IMO.

Just a note: the Arachnotron appears to be totally helpless if you stand beyond a certain range from it; its twin plasma shots will simply go straight past you on either side. Perhaps giving it a WW2 fighter plane-style cant to each gun (giving it a certain distance at which its shots cross each others' path) would help to correct this- or, alternatively, giving it a firing mode at long range in which it simply targets the player individually with each plasma gun, instead of using both twin-linked.
Last edited by Retraux Squid on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

Here's a small patch I created while toying around with this (and by the way, this is probably the best D64 port out there in terms of moddability and overall quality)- introducing a burst-fire assault rifle using sprites from Brutal Doom 64. The weapon is dropped by former humans (using the aforementioned rifle-armed sprites instead of the normal shotgun-equipped ones), and fires up to 3 rounds in one burst, though you can still tap-fire it. It's more accurate and more powerful than the Chaingun, but doesn't have the sustained DPS of it. In addition, former humans now fire the rifle in 3-round bursts (dealing 3-9 damage per shot), which about doubles their damage per attack. Finally, shotgun guys get a slight tweak to their behavior; they now fire 5 pellets (same damage as zombieman shots), which results in the same potential damage per attack as vanilla ones.

EDIT: Smoothed out the rifle's firing animation.
Last edited by Retraux Squid on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”