REKKR - V1.16

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Revae

Re: REKKR - V1.16

Post by Revae »

Nightdive tends to do remakes. Not sure what they or anyone could do for rekkr, really. I have thought about multiplayer a bit, but I'm not sure where to go with that either. Just focusing on mapping atm. Then a boss, then maybe a new weapon if I have the bandwidth for it.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Revae wrote:
NightFright wrote:Any price you ask for will be OK for me.
400 dollars!
But yeah, it'll be something reasonable. Considering most of REKKR will still be free, the only new content would be E4, and maybe some bugfixes.
You might want consider to add also modern statusbar, shaders and brightmaps, maybe spice up water effects and include ESrgan scaled graphics, and some Heimdall 1-2 inspired cutscenes between levels in case, just ideas dropping here for you to spice up things (and which I might help for some stuff in case I get enough free time) :)
Revae

Post by Revae »

There actually are brightmaps, for the sprites. I could add some for the walls and floors too though, that's a good idea. Not sure what all I can add and maintain vanilla compatibility.
Maybe more water frames? Not sure how that works in vanilla. Not gonna do shaders or higher res sprites/textures, or cutscenes.
I imagine a modern status bar would be possible, as vanilla just ignores lumps it isn't looking for. Probably a good idea to look into that, the brightmaps, and water at least.
Khodoque

Post by Khodoque »

NightFright wrote:Any price you ask for will be OK for me.
I'd buy that for a dollar! Jokes aside, when I was playing REKKR, I kept wondering - "how is this even free?" That's a professional product, made from scratch, good-looking and fun to play, it totally deserves a price tag.
Ozymandias81 wrote:You might want consider to add also modern statusbar, shaders and brightmaps, maybe spice up water effects and include ESrgan scaled graphics, and some Heimdall 1-2 inspired cutscenes between levels in case
Consider that vanilla compatibility is one of the things that makes REKKR so impressive. Gives it this whole "90s Doom clone from alternate reality" charm. Though in case of Steam release it would be possible to allow player to choose between "Bells and Whistles mode" and "1993 mode" on startup. Something similar can be done on GOG as well, I assume.

Anyway, something is bugging me - part of the E1M3 music that starts at 1:30 reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it:
https://youtu.be/47kcQzN-JEQ?t=1m30s
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Punting up into the light of day because this mod is now playable on consoles via Bethesda's official Unity-wrapped source port. Congrats Revae!

Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Indeed. I was very happy to hear this news.

Well done, Revae!

I hope the Doom community continues to enjoy this time in the spotlight!
Revae

Post by Revae »

Thanks! It's been a trip.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Oh yeah, this is very awesome! I always thought this mod, i mean own game supposed to be get spotlighted so a lot of people could play it and whatnot. And i'm glad that happened. Congratulations!
Leglock
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Leglock »

This is one of those mods that I somehow have in a "to play list", but I keep distracted with newer releases (and life stuff). The shame it's on me, because I heard only good things about this proyect. I think this is gonna be my next game after 2 other older mods. I see the screens and some videos and I can't wait.
Yarn366
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Yarn366 »

I think there's a slight error with the last puzzle of E2M9. Details are in the spoiler tag:
Spoiler:
Revae

Post by Revae »

Yarn366 wrote:I think there's a slight error with the last puzzle of E2M9. Details are in the spoiler tag:
Spoiler:
Ah fuck, you're right.
I think I originally had it right when I was making it, and then added one more after mathing out the remainder apparently incorrectly. becaise 1+2+4+8+16+32+64+128 = 255 not 256, which is the amount of little chevrons that light up. But you start counting at 0 not 1 (of course). I even remember going "whoops, there's only 7 here, better make this wall thinner..." Bah.
Anyways, I'll fix it right now, but it won't be in a release for a bit. Thanks for the heads up.

Good job solving it, regardless of it being a bit misleading.
Yarn366
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Yarn366 »

The combination for opening the freezer room (where the dog is) in E1M3 doesn't work properly in GZDoom. I explained how (along with a workaround) in this post:
Yarn366 wrote: Regarding REKKR E1M3:

To open the door to the freezer room, you're supposed to press the middle button, then the left button, then the right button, in that order. The middle button completely lowers a lift in a hidden room; the left button raises that lift a step; and the right button opens a slit that, if the player pressed the buttons in the correct order, allows a scarecrow-looking thing to shoot a wall that opens up the freezer room.

In GZDoom, the problem isn't that the scarecrow isn't firing (it is), but that it shoots its arrows a bit too low, so they don't pass through the slit. Because of this, the player must press the left button again (to raise the scarecrow's lift more) immediately after entering the correct button combination; this gives the scarecrow a chance to shoot through the slit (due it its extra height), thus opening the freezer room.
Revae

Post by Revae »

Yeah, someone made me aware of that (don't remember who). It'll be fixed.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Since nobody has posted it here until now: The commercial version of REKKR is available on Steam since Oct 11. There's also a -29% discount if you buy it during the first week after release.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Sweet! :thumb:

With this, Hedon, Supplice, Selaco and probably more games that I am forgetting or I do not know about, the Doom Engine family is growing bigger!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”