Star Trek Doom Project (GZDoom Doom 2 mod) v0.4b WIP

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Blake00

Star Trek Doom Project (GZDoom Doom 2 mod) v0.4b WIP

Post by Blake00 »

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
UPDATE 3 - 20/01/2019

MOD FIXED! GZDoom's Graf Zahl has saved my bacon lol and helped me finally solve the mystery issues with my Mapinfo that affected my mod from version 1.9 onwards. I've fixed the mod and it appears to work just fine with the latest versions of GZDoom! :) I've updated my download links with the corrected files. :)

Older Updates:
Spoiler:
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
ORIGINAL POST - 03/12/2016

Hi guys :)

I figured it was finally time to drop by the Doom communities and publicly announce my 2 ZDoom projects, this one is my Doom 2 mod, the Star Trek Doom project.

I originally worked on and off the Star Trek Doom project from 1997 to 2012. I had almost all but given up on ever working on it properly again but people just kept contacting me about it over the years and I finally decided to really go for it again! So I resumed the project in 2016 and have totally redesigned & remastered EVERYTHING for GZDoom. STDoom is a total conversion single player mod for Doom 2 with the GZDoom enhancement (also looks pretty good in ZDoom). The mod contains new levels, textures, decoration, weapons, monsters, NPCs, cutscenes, music & sounds taking players on an old-school linear 3D action adventure set on the Enterprise D & a Borg cube!

To train myself up for the resurrection of Star Trek Doom I also worked on a Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen mod that takes you on an action packed adventure in the dark land of Mordavia. In the end it became an even bigger project than STDoom lol.

The year is 2371 and the Enterprise-D is in its seventh year of service (Between Season 7 & Generations Film), you play a young junior Lieutenant sent out to test upgrades on a shuttlecraft when a futuristic Borg cube emerges from a temporal portal launching a devastating attack on the Enterprise. After seeing the Borg Cube destroyed by Species 8472 emerging from the same time portal you decide to return to the Enterprise to try and help take back the ship. Obviously since such events are not possible in the canon/prime timeline I had to do some ‘creative thinking’ story wise to make it happen (basically I had to do a JJ Abrams lol) which hopefully diehards will be okay with since after all this is just a bit of fun! :)

My goal has always been to create a wild adventure on the Enterprise D that has you believing you're there (well at least in the boundaries of the ancient Doom engine lol), and I'm happy to say the project reboot has been a success! All old areas, monsters and weapons have been rebuilt 10x better, many new areas have been added, and I've completely finished everything I wanted to do for my first public demo.

Hope you guys enjoy this first demo below. Be warned that it will likely be a while before there's another demo, I've spent nearly 2 years on this & my other QFG4 3D Hexen project and have sacrificed a lot. I'm burnt out & want to do other things, including getting back to PLAYING games instead of making them lol!

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

For more information, more screenshots, animations+descriptions of all weapons & monsters you'll face, and of course the download links for the demo and required files check out my STDoom websites here:
- Star Trek Doom Project Homepage
- NEW Star Trek Doom Project ModDB Page

Image Image Image Image

If you just want to see it without all the hassle then here's a playthrough/walkthrough video series I made..

Part 1 - Type 7 Shuttle, Transporter Room, Turbolift, Corridors, Holodeck, Jefferies Tubes, Shuttle Bay, Type 6 Shuttle & Borg Cube Arrvial.

Part 2 - Borg Cube, Borg Queen boss fight, Enterprise D Bridge & EARLY DRAFT Engineering Species 8472 boss fight.

Note: My wad contains some things from Realm667 mod packs and a few other mod packs. They have been credited in my ReadMe file.

--------
Blake's Sanctum:

- Total Conversion mods: Quest for Glory 4 3D Hexen, Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation
Last edited by Blake00 on Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:14 am, edited 13 times in total.
Gez

Re: Star Trek Doom Project (GZDoom Doom 2 mod) WIP

Post by Gez »

AFADoomer is also working on a Star Trek TC. It looks quite different from yours, less "Doomy" since it heavily uses models. :)
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Post by skyrish10 »

Gez wrote:AFADoomer is also working on a Star Trek TC. It looks quite different from yours, less "Doomy" since it heavily uses models. :)
Though the two are different, the one by AFADoomer takes place on The Original Series timeline and this one by Blake take places on The Next Generation timeline
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

This is some interesting and neat mod, i just can feel the good ol' days of 90's doom mods!
Wolfbrf

Post by Wolfbrf »

Nice projecto, you Put a lot of work on this. Yes, it bring a classic feel of old doom gameplay.
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

Thanks for the nice comments guys. :)

skyrish10 wrote:
Gez wrote:AFADoomer is also working on a Star Trek TC. It looks quite different from yours, less "Doomy" since it heavily uses models. :)
Though the two are different, the one by AFADoomer takes place on The Original Series timeline and this one by Blake take places on The Next Generation timeline
Yeah plus his rooms and textures are more realistic. Looks very cool! Mine's a little more cartoonish due to A-CBS & Paramount have been shutting down a lot of realistic 3D fan projects in the last few years, and B-I'm a lousy artist haha! ;)
ThrashfanBert1994

Post by ThrashfanBert1994 »

can you do a center version of the laser gun thing?
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

ThrashfanBert1994 wrote:can you do a center version of the laser gun thing?
I wish, but like I said above I'm a lousy artist mate haha. Only one of the guns I drew myself (Type 1 phaser), the rest are taken from other trek games and modified by me. Slapping on some LCARS screens, glowing buttons and Doomguy fingers onto an existing gun is about as good as my artistic abilities get lol.
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

Hi guys,

Been a crazy few months since releasing my Star Trek Doom and Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen mods to the world last year. I originally thought that my Star Trek Doom level would be the big hit but boy was I wrong lol! QFG4-3D got featured in January on Rock, Paper Shotgun! and then if that wasn't crazy enough PC Gamer the largest gaming mag in the world decided to do a feature QFG4-3D in the number 1 spot of their top 10 downloads section! They did this in both their March US and Feb UK editions. I couldn't believe it as my stuff is a joke compared to the amazing mods they normally feature lol!! I'd been getting PC Gamer UK since I was a boy and never once did I ever think that something I'd made would end up in their magazine. Almost brought a happy tear to my eye.. almost haha. :P

However unfortunately that's where the good news ends..

I've been informed from fans that both my mods are no longer working with the newest versions of GZDoom. I'm guessing there were some big changes as so much stuff is broken now. :(

My Star Trek Doom wad will load if added to the GZDoom ini as usual, however if I try to load any of the levels in DoomBuilder using the new GZDoom as the test engine the game fails to start due to me getting this error:
Script error, "STDoomExtras.wad:DECORATE" line 2356:
Script error, "STDoomExtras.wad:DECORATE" line 2356:
Tried to define class 'Leaf1' more than twice in the same file.

It wasn't be defined twice before and it still isn't now so I don't know what that one's about as the holodeck forest leaves still work just fine when the game is started the other way.
Then even if you do get into the game I've discovered that nearly all my star trek music tracks are no longer playing (unless its a track triggered by a linedef event) and it just plays doom tracks (main menu & end sequences appear to sound fine though), my sky's seem to be mixed up now (presumably the default lvl 1,2,3 etc sky settings overriding mine), I'm now getting the stupid Doom Score/kills screen in-between my level jumps, I'm no longer getting my intermission briefing screen when going from cluster 1 to cluster 2, and finally I seem to get a regular Doom Intermission briefing screen at the end of the game before my end game intermission sequences. So clearly a lot of my old MAPINFO stuff is no longer compatible with the newer GZDooms.

As for my Quest For Glory 4-3D wad that wouldn't even load all! Just via adding to the GZDoom ini and trying to start it triggers this error:
Script error, "QFG4_3D.wad:DECORATE" line 2298:
Expected '(', got 'WRTH'.

This part isn't my stuff and is from the 'Chiller' monster from Realm 667. Appears to no longer like the fact that the author ProjectAngel uses the "A_Jump" command without any parameters. The wiki talks about it have a jump chance range of 0-255 so I don't know what value using A_Jump on its own originally did but for now I just chucked in a (0,0) to shut it up and that got me into the game lol. However much like with Star Trek Doom if I try to load any of the levels in DoomBuilder using the new GZDoom as the test engine the game fails to start due to me getting another error:
Script error, "QFG4_3DExtras.wad:DECORATE" line 4060:
Script error, "QFG4_3DExtras.wad:DECORATE" line 4060:
Tried to define class 'Wizard' more than twice in the same file.

Like with the leaf I don't get why the new GZDoom is unhappy about Wizard as its not being used twice and it's not complaining about my Paladin & Thief characters which are setup the same way.
Then just like with ST Doom even if you do get into the game I've discovered that nearly all my QFG music tracks are no longer playing (unless its a track triggered by a linedef event) and it just plays Hexen tracks (main menu & end sequences appear to sound fine though), I can't access my Wizard character start (likely due to the above issue), flame torches don't light up in level 1, my sky's seem to be mixed up now (presumably the default lvl 1,2,3 etc sky settings), I'm no longer getting my intermission briefing screen when going from cluster 1 to cluster 2 and it seems to play elsewhere at the wrong moment (presumably using default hexen level clusters instead of mine), I now can't seem to exit via the hotel window which is was just a linedef level teleport from 14 to 15 making the demo unfinishable (visit cheat seems to take me to hexen levels instead of mine from 14 onwards), and as a result I can't test my end game intermission sequences so who knows whether they're broken too. So once again clearly a lot of my old MAPINFO stuff is no longer compatible with the newer GZDooms.

Before anyone says it yes I have no doubt that these problems are due to newer versions of GZDoom being less tolerant of bad coding lol! Unfortunately I'm rather useless at Doomscript so I have no idea how to fix these problems at this stage so for the moment my wads are unplayable unless you're using an older GZDoom version (the wads were originally built & tested using GZDoom 1.8.2 and ZDoom 2.7.1 ). Sorry guys!!! :(
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

Got some help on the double issues elsewhere. Doombuilder was loading my assets and because I already had them in the GZDoom ini it was double loading them (the old GZDoom obviously let me get away with it haha). That solved the double leaf issue (as there's no leaf in Doom) and I renamed the Wizard to WIT-Wizard (you're a graduate from QFG's Wizard's Institute of Technocery so that'll do for now lol) to solve the double Wizard problem as there's a Wizard in Hexen that the old GZDoom didn't care about me overriding.

So far as I can tell all that's left are the music, skys and cluster group bugs in both STDoom & QFG4-3DHexen which all point to the new GZDoom not liking my old MAPINFO.
Blake00

Re: Star Trek Doom Project (GZDoom Doom 2 mod) v0.4b WIP

Post by Blake00 »

MOD FIXED! GZDoom's Graf Zahl has saved my bacon lol and helped me finally solve the mystery issues with my Mapinfo that affected my mod from GZDoom version 1.9 onwards. I've fixed the mod and it appears to work just fine with the latest versions of GZDoom! :) I've updated my download links in my original post with the updated demo files and documentation. :)

Since this is just a bug fix release I've changed the version number from v0.4 to v0.4b .
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

This must have taken ages. Do you have any sprite sheets of crew members who haven't been "Assimilated"? Just regular crew members in the style of the borged versions.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

So, as both an avid Trek and Doom fan (currently in the middle of a TNG marathon, as a matter of fact - after that, it's Deep Space Nine time!), I like this idea. That said, here comes the H A R S H C R I T I C I S M:

*Angled and centered sprites, IMO, shouldn't be used together unless one of your centered weapons has akimbo/dual-wielding capability - it looks inconsistent (also, the left-handed Compression Phaser Rifle kinda threw me for a loop). On that note, I did see that the dual-wielding sprites you do have are centered.
*I find it strange that the Borg Queen opts for the Spider Mastermind chassis - from a lore (heh heh) standpoint, the Mastermind's mechanical frame and kinetic autocannon are archaic compared to known Borg technology.
*If we're gonna go with more lore stuff, the NCC-1701-D (and E) never meet Species 8472, being Delta Quadrant only. Also, they don't generally use handheld weapons, as their own biology is a far more powerful weapon than a phaser or comparable weaponry.
*Honestly, it'd be easier to turn this into a Voyager mod, but apart from the Borg, I can see where there's a lack if interest (I'm convinced that I'm the only person on Earth who legitimately enjoyed VOY as opposed to merely tolerating it, like Enterprise).
*Maybe talk to AFADoomer about some models? Chairs, consoles, and tables, mainly.

Now, for the better stuff:

*It may seem silly, but I like the "Riker is trapped" bit - the Beard needs to show up in more Doom stuff in general...for some reason.
*The previously mentioned akimbo phasers have properly angled muzzleflashes!!!
*The Borg appear to adapt properly - not gonna lie, I've been wanting to add Borg drones to one of my bestiaries for...fuckin' years. Also digging the TNG-style shield adaptation.
*Speaking of the Borg, clever use of the Doom computer textures - I basically can't tell the difference between your Borg interiors and the real ones apart from resolution differences. Really, all the Borg stuff just looks gorgeous.
*Dat shuttle. DAT LCARS.

This needs a Best of Both Worlds episode pack. I, Borg and Descent would also be pretty cool, as few new resources would be needed to pull it off (the place where Hugh is found for the former, Lore and his compound for the latter). Apart from some orthogonality and a couple of odd things, this gives me hope for the future of mankind (as does all things Trek...except Discovery - fuck Spore Drive).

I give this an arbitrary rating of 7/9.
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

TheRailgunner wrote:So, as both an avid Trek and Doom fan (currently in the middle of a TNG marathon, as a matter of fact - after that, it's Deep Space Nine time!), I
Where Silence Has Lease used to creep me out.
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

Hidden Hands wrote:This must have taken ages. Do you have any sprite sheets of crew members who haven't been "Assimilated"? Just regular crew members in the style of the borged versions.
It did haha.. remaking my 20yr old project took a whole year!

Yup if you watch my videos you'll see around the end of part 1 and around the start of part 2 there are armed allied red shirt crew crewmembers who help fight the bad guys. As a sort of tip of the hat/joke they all have Doomguy helmets. You can also see them towards the bottom of the my enemies & NPC's list here:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/star-trek-do ... -trek-doom
TheRailgunner wrote:So, as both an avid Trek and Doom fan (currently in the middle of a TNG marathon, as a matter of fact - after that, it's Deep Space Nine time!), I like this idea. That said, here comes the H A R S H C R I T I C I S M:

*Angled and centered sprites, IMO, shouldn't be used together unless one of your centered weapons has akimbo/dual-wielding capability - it looks inconsistent (also, the left-handed Compression Phaser Rifle kinda threw me for a loop). On that note, I did see that the dual-wielding sprites you do have are centered.
*I find it strange that the Borg Queen opts for the Spider Mastermind chassis - from a lore (heh heh) standpoint, the Mastermind's mechanical frame and kinetic autocannon are archaic compared to known Borg technology.
*If we're gonna go with more lore stuff, the NCC-1701-D (and E) never meet Species 8472, being Delta Quadrant only. Also, they don't generally use handheld weapons, as their own biology is a far more powerful weapon than a phaser or comparable weaponry.
*Honestly, it'd be easier to turn this into a Voyager mod, but apart from the Borg, I can see where there's a lack if interest (I'm convinced that I'm the only person on Earth who legitimately enjoyed VOY as opposed to merely tolerating it, like Enterprise).
*Maybe talk to AFADoomer about some models? Chairs, consoles, and tables, mainly.

Now, for the better stuff:

*It may seem silly, but I like the "Riker is trapped" bit - the Beard needs to show up in more Doom stuff in general...for some reason.
*The previously mentioned akimbo phasers have properly angled muzzleflashes!!!
*The Borg appear to adapt properly - not gonna lie, I've been wanting to add Borg drones to one of my bestiaries for...fuckin' years. Also digging the TNG-style shield adaptation.
*Speaking of the Borg, clever use of the Doom computer textures - I basically can't tell the difference between your Borg interiors and the real ones apart from resolution differences. Really, all the Borg stuff just looks gorgeous.
*Dat shuttle. DAT LCARS.

This needs a Best of Both Worlds episode pack. I, Borg and Descent would also be pretty cool, as few new resources would be needed to pull it off (the place where Hugh is found for the former, Lore and his compound for the latter). Apart from some orthogonality and a couple of odd things, this gives me hope for the future of mankind (as does all things Trek...except Discovery - fuck Spore Drive).

I give this an arbitrary rating of 7/9.
Thank you for the decent score haha! Your review is clearly well thought out from thorough testing. I'd be interested to hear what you think of my Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen mod although that is older and inferior IMO.

I try to reply to all your points properly..

The negatives:
1. Yeah I've coped it a bit for this issue however I don't have any source materials for centered heavy trek weapons, so there's not really much I can do about it. Although some have requested I flip/mirror the heavys to the right instead of left which might help? Dunno.
2. Yeah I'm pushing lore limits here haha but I didn't want to just have this little chick with black skinny legs walking around in the dark as a boss fight.. I wanted something big and cool. I figured doing another tip of the hat/Doom joke would be fun. Plus once again I lack the artistic abilities to create anything from scratch so stitching together existing assets and modifying pixels here and there is far more my area.
3. Did you read any of the documentation that comes with the mod or the mod's website or ModDB page? (eg the link I posted above to 'Hidden Hands') The in-game story screens leave you to guess a bit but my documentation explains how it's all gone down. Super short version is Borg open another temporal rift (like in FC) and travel back in time again to destroy enterprise D & a Species 8472 ship chases the cube through the rift. I kinda had to do a JJ Abrams to get the Borg and Species 8472 on the Enterprise D haha. Why the Enterprise D? I'll explain that more next.
4. I love Voyager & Ent too but I'm a TNG & DS9 fan through and through. Plus there's already Voyager Elite Force 1 & 2 out there. In fact one of the really annoying problems I've had promoting this mod in various places is people saying "Duuuh why don't you just play Elite Force bro?" (like they think I've wasted my time and it's helpful to tell me I've wasted my time grr) or my personal favourite "Umm lol have you ever played Elite Force bro?" (failing to notice that half the weapons in my mod are ripped from Elite Force lmao so of course I've f***ing played it lol). So if I'm already copping cr*p for a TNG Doom mod being too similar to Voyager Elite Force can you imagine what would happen if it was a Voyager Doom mod haha! There are no Enterprise D first person action games out there, even today! As I kid I always wanted to make a Doom level fighting the Borg and Species 8472 on the Enterprise D, and hell even if the monsters didn't work out I mainly really wanted to build an Enterprise D level that actually looked like the sets (other 90s TNG Doom levels were pretty bad at that haha). I wanted to do something unique, not something everyone's done before. Cause yeah if you wanna fight Borg on Voyager then go Play Elite force 1. If you want to shoot stuff on Ent E then play Elite Force 2 lol. But if you wanna fight Borg on the good old Enterprise D then finally you can now haha.
5. As in replace some of those objects with sprites? Or just apply more tricks to make the 3D objects look better? The consoles are tough as you can't apply slopes to floating objects (or at least I haven't seen anyone doing it). The chairs I admittedly got a bit lazy with, they were one of the last things I did on the mod and I was burnt out hahahaha.

The good stuff:
1. Yeah finding excuses (story wise) to get each of the TNG characters into the mod is not easy haha but I'm trying. ;)
2. Yup that took a while to do and was actually done on my original 90s version and just carried over into this new one. I've had complaints on Doomworld that it should be true/real phaser beam fire in the world however no existing Doom weapons fire laser beams, I don't know how to make that, & I've failed to find another mod with them that I can 'borrow' them from haha.
3. Ryan Polczer creator of 'NCC1701 wad' deserves most of the credit for the Borg drone sprites & shields. However his were pink skinned so I made they zombie grey. I then made assimilated crew members using bits of his sprites. Also stole the his shield bits for my Borg queen. Funny story: I never spoke with Ryan and always wondered if he'd be cool with me using his stuff. Well his daughter found my video on youtube the other day and said that he loves what I've done. Winning!
4. Thank you! :) The borg sectioins are one of my pride and joys of the level. The old Doom textures work so well (meaning I didn't have to draw my own like I had to with all the Ent stuff) and coloured lighting & steam effects just finished the job. I like to think that some parts are better than the Elite Force Borg ship levels and they were in a newer and technologically superior engine haha!
5. Haha thanks, I kid you not almost every LCARS console in that game is f***ing hand drawn to match the actual consoles in the show. I took endless photos from the TNG Bluray remasters of rooms and their consoles to make sure I got it right (or at least as close as possible haha).
6. That is an interesting Idea I've never considered. I'm a huge fan of the good old Genesis/Mega Drive and Super Nintendo STTNG adventure games, so the current plan is that if I ever do finish this bloody thing and do a sequel I'd like to try and remake parts of those games for it (eg beaming down and fighting Romulan troops in ancient ruins under a setting sun? yes please! haha).

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”