Quest for Glory IV 3D (GZDoom Hexen mod) v0.1b WIP

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Quest for Glory IV 3D (ZDoom Hexen mod) WIP

Postby Blake00 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:10 am

Hi guys,

Been a crazy few months since releasing my Star Trek Doom and Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen mods to the world last year. I originally thought that my Star Trek Doom level would be the big hit but boy was I wrong lol! QFG4-3D got featured in January on Rock, Paper Shotgun! and then if that wasn't crazy enough PC Gamer the largest gaming mag in the world decided to do a feature QFG4-3D in the number 1 spot of their top 10 downloads section! They did this in both their March US and Feb UK editions. I couldn't believe it as my stuff is a joke compared to the amazing mods they normally feature lol!! I'd been getting PC Gamer UK since I was a boy and never once did I ever think that something I'd made would end up in their magazine. Almost brought a happy tear to my eye.. almost haha. :P

However unfortunately that's where the good news ends..

I've been informed from fans that both my mods are no longer working with the newest versions of GZDoom. I'm guessing there were some big changes as so much stuff is broken now. :(

My Star Trek Doom wad will load if added to the GZDoom ini as usual, however if I try to load any of the levels in DoomBuilder using the new GZDoom as the test engine the game fails to start due to me getting this error:
Script error, "STDoomExtras.wad:DECORATE" line 2356:
Script error, "STDoomExtras.wad:DECORATE" line 2356:
Tried to define class 'Leaf1' more than twice in the same file.

It wasn't be defined twice before and it still isn't now so I don't know what that one's about as the holodeck forest leaves still work just fine when the game is started the other way.
Then even if you do get into the game I've discovered that nearly all my star trek music tracks are no longer playing (unless its a track triggered by a linedef event) and it just plays doom tracks (main menu & end sequences appear to sound fine though), my sky's seem to be mixed up now (presumably the default lvl 1,2,3 etc sky settings overriding mine), I'm now getting the stupid Doom Score/kills screen in-between my level jumps, I'm no longer getting my intermission briefing screen when going from cluster 1 to cluster 2, and finally I seem to get a regular Doom Intermission briefing screen at the end of the game before my end game intermission sequences. So clearly a lot of my old MAPINFO stuff is no longer compatible with the newer GZDooms.

As for my Quest For Glory 4-3D wad that wouldn't even load all! Just via adding to the GZDoom ini and trying to start it triggers this error:
Script error, "QFG4_3D.wad:DECORATE" line 2298:
Expected '(', got 'WRTH'.

This part isn't my stuff and is from the 'Chiller' monster from Realm 667. Appears to no longer like the fact that the author ProjectAngel uses the "A_Jump" command without any parameters. The wiki talks about it have a jump chance range of 0-255 so I don't know what value using A_Jump on its own originally did but for now I just chucked in a (0,0) to shut it up and that got me into the game lol. However much like with Star Trek Doom if I try to load any of the levels in DoomBuilder using the new GZDoom as the test engine the game fails to start due to me getting another error:
Script error, "QFG4_3DExtras.wad:DECORATE" line 4060:
Script error, "QFG4_3DExtras.wad:DECORATE" line 4060:
Tried to define class 'Wizard' more than twice in the same file.

Like with the leaf I don't get why the new GZDoom is unhappy about Wizard as its not being used twice and it's not complaining about my Paladin & Thief characters which are setup the same way.
Then just like with ST Doom even if you do get into the game I've discovered that nearly all my QFG music tracks are no longer playing (unless its a track triggered by a linedef event) and it just plays Hexen tracks (main menu & end sequences appear to sound fine though), I can't access my Wizard character start (likely due to the above issue), flame torches don't light up in level 1, my sky's seem to be mixed up now (presumably the default lvl 1,2,3 etc sky settings), I'm no longer getting my intermission briefing screen when going from cluster 1 to cluster 2 and it seems to play elsewhere at the wrong moment (presumably using default hexen level clusters instead of mine), I now can't seem to exit via the hotel window which is was just a linedef level teleport from 14 to 15 making the demo unfinishable (visit cheat seems to take me to hexen levels instead of mine from 14 onwards), and as a result I can't test my end game intermission sequences so who knows whether they're broken too. So once again clearly a lot of my old MAPINFO stuff is no longer compatible with the newer GZDooms.

Before anyone says it yes I have no doubt that these problems are due to newer versions of GZDoom being less tolerant of bad coding lol! Unfortunately I'm rather useless at Doomscript so I have no idea how to fix these problems at this stage so for the moment my wads are unplayable unless you're using an older GZDoom version (the wads were originally built & tested using GZDoom 1.8.2 and ZDoom 2.7.1 ). Sorry guys!!! :(
User avatar
Blake00
 
Joined: 05 Sep 2015

Re: Quest for Glory IV 3D (ZDoom Hexen mod) WIP

Postby Blue Shadow » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:55 am

Regarding the double/duplicate definition errors, are you loading your mod with GZDoom more than once? And by the way, Leaf1 and Wizard are already used by Hexen, so you might want to give your actors different names.
User avatar
Blue Shadow
 
Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Quest for Glory IV 3D (ZDoom Hexen mod) WIP

Postby Blake00 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:22 am

ahh of course.. thank you for pointing out the obvious haha. Doombuilder was loading my assets and because I already had them in the GZDoom ini it was double loading them (the old GZDoom obviously let me get away with it haha). That solves the double leaf issue (as there's no leaf in Doom) but as you suggested it didn't solve the double Wizard problem as there's obviously a Wizard in Hexen that the old GZDoom didn't care about me overriding. I've changed the char name to WIT-Wizard (you're a graduate from QFG's Wizard's Institute of Technocery so that'll do for now lol) and sure enough that's fixed that one too. Thanks man. :)

So far as I can tell all that's left are the music, skys and cluster group bugs in both STDoom & QFG4-3DHexen which all point to the new GZDoom not liking my old MAPINFO.
User avatar
Blake00
 
Joined: 05 Sep 2015

Re: Quest for Glory IV 3D (ZDoom Hexen mod) WIP

Postby Nash » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:19 am

If you are certain something is a bug, please post at the official Bugs forum - the devs can help you out. viewforum.php?f=2

Ignoring bugs and telling users to use old versions of the executable is generally frowned upon by devs and users alike, so let us help you fix your mod. :)
User avatar
Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes
 
 
 
Joined: 27 Oct 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Re: Quest for Glory IV 3D (ZDoom Hexen mod) WIP

Postby Enjay » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:35 am

Quite right. However, things have become more robust in recent GZDooms as far as error checking, including MAPINFO syntax, is concerned so it would be best to double check that first because it's quite likely that there is a simple error in there.

@Blake00 Perhaps post the MAPINFO for people to look at?
User avatar
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain
 
 
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Scotland

Re: Quest for Glory IV 3D (ZDoom Hexen mod) WIP

Postby Blake00 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:22 am

Nash wrote:If you are certain something is a bug, please post at the official Bugs forum - the devs can help you out. viewforum.php?f=2

Ignoring bugs and telling users to use old versions of the executable is generally frowned upon by devs and users alike, so let us help you fix your mod. :)


Yeah I meant as in 'bugs' that are no doubt my fault and not GZDoom's so probably not worth reporting despite none of these issues existing in the older version. And yeah that's why my message was full of apologies as I don't wanna tell people to use an older version either!

Enjay wrote:Quite right. However, things have become more robust in recent GZDooms as far as error checking, including MAPINFO syntax, is concerned so it would be best to double check that first because it's quite likely that there is a simple error in there.

@Blake00 Perhaps post the MAPINFO for people to look at?


Yes is there a way I can see the error's it finds? There's probably a log file somewhere isn't there.. I looked at the history in the console and there's just some whinging about the decorate leaf stuff again but there's no complains that I can see about my mapinfo.

Here's my STDoom mapinfo text.. my QFG4-3D one is basically the exact same except it has many more maps so its more confusing to read through lol!

Despite my lack of knowledge with this stuff I've tried to keep things neat and tidy lol! Basically there's 4 areas.
1 game info
2 intermission settings for between cluster 1 and 2
3 intermission settings for the end game sequence
4 my map & cluster settings

MAPINFO:
Spoiler:


Hopefully this is just a case of me using some out of date definitions lol. Thanks heaps for your helps guys! :)
User avatar
Blake00
 
Joined: 05 Sep 2015

Re: Quest for Glory IV 3D (ZDoom Hexen mod) WIP

Postby Whoah » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:10 pm

This was really fun! I can't wait for the full release, even though I've never played any of the QFG games. Odd question, but, if it's not too much trouble, is it possible to get just the weapons and player classes in the form of a gameplay mod so I can play Deathkings or the original game with the weapons and character classes? I don't know how much work this would be for you, so I understand if you can't. I just really like how they turned out. Thanks!
User avatar
Whoah
Confusion is my natural state
 
Joined: 13 Apr 2017
Location: I'm actually not 100% sure on that

Re: Quest for Glory IV 3D (ZDoom Hexen mod) WIP

Postby Blake00 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:56 am

Whoah wrote:This was really fun! I can't wait for the full release, even though I've never played any of the QFG games. Odd question, but, if it's not too much trouble, is it possible to get just the weapons and player classes in the form of a gameplay mod so I can play Deathkings or the original game with the weapons and character classes? I don't know how much work this would be for you, so I understand if you can't. I just really like how they turned out. Thanks!


lol thanks but unless you were using an old version of GZDoom then I doubt it was as much fun as it could have been mate. With the newer versions of GZDoom most of the music tracks don't play, the sky's are all wrong, it ignores my cluster settings and you can't escape the your hotel window room at night in map 14 resulting in the demo being unfinishable and players missing out on a whole stack of content. :(

Hmm creating a simple conversion mod with the Player classes & Weapons is certainly possible, although my changes to them are purely cosmetic as they all still behave like their Hexen defaults and just look and sound more QFG like so they're not that special haha. :) I'm also yet to change the in-game player sprites which means if you used the mod in a multiplayer game you'd still just see the default Hexen player classes running around.
User avatar
Blake00
 
Joined: 05 Sep 2015

Re: Quest for Glory IV 3D (ZDoom Hexen mod) WIP

Postby Whoah » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:14 pm

Blake00 wrote:
Whoah wrote:This was really fun! I can't wait for the full release, even though I've never played any of the QFG games. Odd question, but, if it's not too much trouble, is it possible to get just the weapons and player classes in the form of a gameplay mod so I can play Deathkings or the original game with the weapons and character classes? I don't know how much work this would be for you, so I understand if you can't. I just really like how they turned out. Thanks!


lol thanks but unless you were using an old version of GZDoom then I doubt it was as much fun as it could have been mate. With the newer versions of GZDoom most of the music tracks don't play, the sky's are all wrong, it ignores my cluster settings and you can't escape the your hotel window room at night in map 14 resulting in the demo being unfinishable and players missing out on a whole stack of content. :(

Hmm creating a simple conversion mod with the Player classes & Weapons is certainly possible, although my changes to them are purely cosmetic as they all still behave like their Hexen defaults and just look and sound more QFG like so they're not that special haha. :) I'm also yet to change the in-game player sprites which means if you used the mod in a multiplayer game you'd still just see the default Hexen player classes running around.


I was using 1-8-00 (I think that's it), and it worked fine. And yeh, I noticed. I just really like how they look. I have a soft spot for sprite changes.
User avatar
Whoah
Confusion is my natural state
 
Joined: 13 Apr 2017
Location: I'm actually not 100% sure on that

Re: Quest for Glory IV 3D (ZDoom Hexen mod) WIP

Postby Blake00 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:42 am

Whoah wrote:I was using 1-8-00 (I think that's it), and it worked fine. And yeh, I noticed. I just really like how they look. I have a soft spot for sprite changes.


Yeah I think it's 1.9ish onwards where the problems begin. Oh well thanks for grabbing an older version and playing my mod. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Hopefully I can conquer the problems stopping it from working properly with newer versions! And I'll take your advice and see if I can work up a simple QFG gameplay conversion Wad for regular Hexen as a bonus download.
User avatar
Blake00
 
Joined: 05 Sep 2015

Re: Quest for Glory IV 3D (ZDoom Hexen mod) WIP

Postby Whoah » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:46 am

Blake00 wrote:
Whoah wrote:I was using 1-8-00 (I think that's it), and it worked fine. And yeh, I noticed. I just really like how they look. I have a soft spot for sprite changes.


Yeah I think it's 1.9ish onwards where the problems begin. Oh well thanks for grabbing an older version and playing my mod. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Hopefully I can conquer the problems stopping it from working properly with newer versions! And I'll take your advice and see if I can work up a simple QFG gameplay conversion Wad for regular Hexen as a bonus download.


Thanks, man! Good luck on the mod! Super excited for the full release!
User avatar
Whoah
Confusion is my natural state
 
Joined: 13 Apr 2017
Location: I'm actually not 100% sure on that

Re: Quest for Glory IV 3D (GZDoom Hexen mod) v0.1b WIP

Postby Blake00 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:07 am

MOD FIXED! GZDoom's Graf Zahl has saved my bacon lol and helped me finally solve the mystery issues with my Mapinfo that affected my mod from GZDoom version 1.9 onwards. I've fixed the mod and it appears to work just fine with the latest versions of GZDoom! :) I've updated my download links in my original post with the updated demo files and documentation. :)

Since this is just a bug fix release I've changed the version number from v0.1 to v0.1b .
User avatar
Blake00
 
Joined: 05 Sep 2015

Re: Quest for Glory IV 3D (GZDoom Hexen mod) v0.1b WIP

Postby Tormentor667 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:17 am

How could I muss this!?
User avatar
Tormentor667
needs more detail
 
Joined: 16 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Re: Quest for Glory IV 3D (GZDoom Hexen mod) v0.1b WIP

Postby Blake00 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:04 pm

Tormentor667 wrote:How could I muss this!?


Woah!! Tormentor! Your realm667 website and its awesome mod packs were my savior! You'll probably notice I used lots of your stuff in both my mods haha. Your name is all through the credits section in my documentation lol! Thank you so much for creating such great content for retro Doom modders! :)
User avatar
Blake00
 
Joined: 05 Sep 2015

Re: Quest for Glory IV 3D (GZDoom Hexen mod) v0.1b WIP

Postby Ferretmanjcdenton » Tue May 12, 2020 10:59 pm

Hey there ...I made a short showcase video of your amazing mod ..

https://youtu.be/0x-uYrhMDx0
User avatar
Ferretmanjcdenton
 
Joined: 09 Mar 2020
Location: Germany
Discord: https://discord.gg/hRm8w97
Operating System: Other Linux ARM/PPC/etc
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Previous

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Red-Azurite, SaveTheDoomer and 6 guests