Quest for Glory IV 3D (GZDoom Hexen mod) v0.1b WIP

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Blake00

Quest for Glory IV 3D (GZDoom Hexen mod) v0.1b WIP

Post by Blake00 »

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
UPDATE 3 - 20/01/2019

MOD FIXED! GZDoom's Graf Zahl has saved my bacon lol and helped me finally solve the mystery issues with my Mapinfo that affected my mod from version 1.9 onwards. I've fixed the mod and it appears to work just fine with the latest versions of GZDoom! :) I've updated my download links with the corrected files. :)

Older Updates:
Spoiler:
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
ORIGINAL POST - 03/12/2016

Hi guys :)

I figured it was finally time to drop by the Doom communities and publicly announce my 2 ZDoom projects, this one is my Hexen mod, the Quest for Glory IV 3D project. After years of tributing other peoples awesome QFG fan games at Blake's Sanctum I decided to have a go at making my own QFG fan game.

QFG4 3D is a total conversion single player mod for Hexen with the GZDoom enhancement (also looks pretty good in GDoom). The mod contains new levels, textures, decoration, weapons, monsters, NPCs, cutscenes, music & sounds taking players on an old-school linear 3D action adventure set in the world and story of the great classic Sierra game Quest for Glory IV - Shadows of Darkness.

I've always enjoyed Doom editing and have been working on a Star Trek Doom level for many years so I thought it would be fun to take the world and story of QFG4 and use it as a template for a Hexen mod. Hexen players who don't know QFG may not get a big kick out of it but if you enjoy total conversion Hexen mods with lots of story elements, adventure & new graphics then perhaps you'll enjoy my mod.

Before any QFG fans here say it I'd like to say that QFG4 doesn't need to be in 3D, nor is my project an attempt to convert every single part of the game to 3D (if you want to do everything in QFG4 then go play QFG4 haha). I created QFG4 3D just for fun and to see if I could actually do it lol. Plus it was rather fun to create new areas/views not seen in the original game (eg I show more of the town & give you 360 degree views of each original game location). So if others happen to enjoy this project too then that's a bonus.

Hope you guys enjoy this first demo below. Be warned that it will likely be a while before there's another demo, I've spent nearly 2 years on this & my other Star Trek Doom project and have sacrificed a lot. I'm burnt out & want to do other things, including getting back to PLAYING games instead of making them lol!

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

For more information, more screenshots, animations+descriptions of all weapons & monsters you'll face, and of course the download links for the demo and required files check out my QFG4 3D website here:
- Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen Project Homepage
- NEW Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen Project ModDB Page

Image Image Image Image

If you just want to see it without all the hassle then here's a playthrough/walkthrough video series I made..

Part 1 - Character Selection, Dark One Cave, Swamp, South Western Forest & Rusalka Lake.

Part 2 - Rusalka Lake, North Western Forest, Borgov Castle Gate, Town Gate, Exploring Town, Burgomeister Office, General Store & Adventurers Guild.

Part 3 - Adventurers Guild, Thieves Guild, Monastery, Monastery Basement, Exploring Town, Dr Cranium's Lab & Hotel Mordavia.

Part 4 - Hotel Mordavia, Exploring Town at Night, Nikolai's House, Town Gate, Central Forest at Night & Graveyard Wraith Battle.

Part 5 - Graveyard Wraith Battle, South Eastern Forest, Eranas Peace & Storming Borgov Castle.

Note: My wad contains some things from Realm667 mod packs and a few other mod packs. They have been credited in my ReadMe file.

--------
Blake's Sanctum:

- Total Conversion mods: Quest for Glory 4 3D Hexen, Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation
Last edited by Blake00 on Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:12 am, edited 19 times in total.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Quest for Glory IV 3D (ZDoom Hexen mod) WIP

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Oh I can only say... WOW!
If I'll get some free time after Blade of Agony development, I'll surely cook up enhancements and optimizations for this project if I'll be authorized to do them!
Gonna check carefully this project once I'll be on pc, keep up the good work!
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

Thanks Ozy. Wow your work is really good man! I used to love playing Return to Castle wolfenstein & your mod takes me right back to those days. :)

I'm gonna be taking a break from working on them for a while which makes it a bit difficult for a collaboration. However I'm not a coder so there's a lot of room for improvement with them and I'm sure someone with your skills would find a ton of things wrong so feel free to have a look through all my mess haha.

Issues/flaws I already know about are:
- I never managed to figure out how to get custom Hexen inventory items working so currently QFG items just sit on the ground as decoration and can't be picked up or used for anything.
- Didn't figure out how to fully implement new custom weapons so currently my QFG weapons are just default Hexen ones with replaced QFG inspired names, graphics & sounds.
- None of the QFG4 puzzles have been ported over to my mod as mimicking them will take some clever coding beyond me lol.
- I didn't learn how to properly use monster activation code until I was working on my Star Trek Doom level after this Hexen one so I need to go back and update this mod to use them (currently I've just got stupid double layered sound blockers and deaf monster flags to stop them all running at you until you're near lol).
- I couldn't master creating actual proper cutscenes such as an intro in-game cutscene (eg Strife). In the end I had to create primitive 'virtual cinema rooms' to do them.
- Not an issue in this mod but in my Star Trek Doom mod I tried to adjust the player view height so you wouldn't feel like a midget but failed to get it working.

In all these cases I read the wiki's again and again but just couldn't figure them out, ran out of patience and put them in the "I'll figure it out in a future version to do list" lol.
Last edited by Blake00 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

WOW MAN, this look amazing! i cant wait.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Please if possible host screenshots elsewhere. They load for 10 seconds from m$ drive.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

I've always loved everything Sierra's done! Of course, I'll have to get a copy of Hexen for this...
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

Thanks everyone, very kind. :)
ZZYZX wrote:Please if possible host screenshots elsewhere. They load for 10 seconds from m$ drive.
10 seconds?? Oh the humanity! You must be fun when waiting in lines for stuff haha. :P

Onedrive is actually pretty good. I only recently switched to them because photobucket has become so unbelievably friggin horrible!!! My pics are very high quality so that's probably the main reason for the 'slow' load time.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Why not imgur though?..
MSPaintR0cks

Post by MSPaintR0cks »

This is like a childhood dream come true :D
I loved playing Kings Quest and Quest For Glory, so this blend here is just perfect :D
And I remember visiting your site quite often in the past :wink:

Played all the way trough to the end of the demo and I was astonished by all the details (especially of the interior scenes) you managed to cram into those Doom-engine limitations.
The inside of the houses in Mordavia looked spot on.
For some reason I also liked the way the speech boxes were handled via seperate rooms... it had an odd charme to it. Maybe you could do it with a script like in Strife in your later versions, but that is not a must I think :D
So far the atmosphere of QFG4 also was nicely captured in this one, especially during night time.
I really can`t wait to see more of this. :D

However, I died a lot by falling down in the first few seconds of the mod, maybe you could make maneuvering there a little easier. :3

By the way, this unfinished Spielburg mod I made a few years ago could interest you :wink: :
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1070119
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

ZZYZX wrote:Why not imgur though?..
I guess at the time I didn't know much about it (other than it being that place I see funny GIFs at lol), I looked at some free image hosting comparisons and saw that onedrive didn't put any compression or downsizing on the pics (unlike photobucket grr) and I was already using my onedrive account for hosting other stuff so I figured I'd take the easy option. I also liked how the onedrive viewer displays the picture almost fullscreen with black borders and no advertising. But hey I may use imgur in the future though as I just read about it and it sounds good.
MSPaintR0cks wrote:This is like a childhood dream come true :D
I loved playing Kings Quest and Quest For Glory, so this blend here is just perfect :D
And I remember visiting your site quite often in the past :wink:

Played all the way trough to the end of the demo and I was astonished by all the details (especially of the interior scenes) you managed to cram into those Doom-engine limitations.
The inside of the houses in Mordavia looked spot on.
For some reason I also liked the way the speech boxes were handled via seperate rooms... it had an odd charme to it. Maybe you could do it with a script like in Strife in your later versions, but that is not a must I think :D
So far the atmosphere of QFG4 also was nicely captured in this one, especially during night time.
I really can`t wait to see more of this. :D

However, I died a lot by falling down in the first few seconds of the mod, maybe you could make maneuvering there a little easier. :3

By the way, this unfinished Spielburg mod I made a few years ago could interest you :wink: :
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1070119
Thanks man, 95% people viewing my posts probably won't play the full demo so when someone like you comes along and says you played the whole darn thing and enjoyed it that means a lot! :)
Oh believe me I wanted strife style cutscenes too. I tried and tried to do them the strife way and then the apparently better zdoom cutscenes way while reading the wikis and forums posts again and again but just couldn't get them working. Then I had the 'virtual cinema' idea and went with that. If one day I can finally master how to do proper cutscenes I'll happily switch them all over. :)

Cool! If you're a regular visitor of my site then you know about my Quest for Glory Fan games tribute page where I tribute all known fan games. Every time I think the list is done I find out about another one lol and sure enough I did not know about your project! Your picture's aren't loading sadly but I'll download your demo and see if I can make a tribute to your game! :)
http://webspace.webring.com/people/ed/d ... Index.html
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

The door in the caves (in the pasted video) look like an asshole to me :shock: :lol:
ravage

Post by ravage »

ramon.dexter wrote:The door in the caves (in the pasted video) look like an asshole to me :shock: :lol:
Well they are sphincter doors in a lovecraftian temple of the damned. maybe they are buttholes.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Hi, if you want, I can help you replace the silly "cinema rooms" used for conversations with an actual working conversation (ZSDF stuff to be clear). Just PM me if you want. I can show you how to use it, or write the scripts for you.
janiform

Post by janiform »

QFG4 is one of my favorite games, and I'm surprised by how well you've translated its environments! Nice work.
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

ramon.dexter wrote:The door in the caves (in the pasted video) look like an asshole to me :shock: :lol:
And it was foretold that a great hero would emerge from the anus of the dark one and save the land.
ramon.dexter wrote:Hi, if you want, I can help you replace the silly "cinema rooms" used for conversations with an actual working conversation (ZSDF stuff to be clear). Just PM me if you want. I can show you how to use it, or write the scripts for you.
Oh wow, thank you so much Ramon, that's very kind of you, I'll certainly do that. I know nothing of ZSDF but hopefully after successfully converting a cutscene or npc chat scenes with you, I can then understand it enough to change all the other scenes in the levels myself. :)
jute wrote:QFG4 is one of my favorite games, and I'm surprised by how well you've translated its environments! Nice work.
Thanks man. :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”