The Inquisitor 3D v1.4

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Shadowman

Re: The Inquisitor III

Post by Shadowman »

2DarkWarrior1995:
It'll take a long time for you to get into that open room/way, so my advice to you - continue to explore the map further.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Looks absolutely great, I'll give it a try.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

DarkWarrior1995 wrote:I think I've gotten myself completely lost in the Catacombs now at the time of this post and I think I'm gonna want a hint or two to get me... well, unlost :P Performance issues aside, so far in exploring, I was able to find a weird shrine thingy that gave me an extra point in Vitality. Near that was a switch which supposedly "opened the way to the lower level." I'm more convinced that "way" was just a loop back to the room after the first one you step in upon entry from Tristan Cathedral.

It's evident I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what at this point :/
I had this problem too - and the solution isn't obvious:
Spoiler:
DarkWarrior1995

Post by DarkWarrior1995 »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:
DarkWarrior1995 wrote:I think I've gotten myself completely lost in the Catacombs now at the time of this post and I think I'm gonna want a hint or two to get me... well, unlost :P Performance issues aside, so far in exploring, I was able to find a weird shrine thingy that gave me an extra point in Vitality. Near that was a switch which supposedly "opened the way to the lower level." I'm more convinced that "way" was just a loop back to the room after the first one you step in upon entry from Tristan Cathedral.

It's evident I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what at this point :/
I had this problem too - and the solution isn't obvious:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
pagb666

Post by pagb666 »

Just finished it. Took me like 11 hours plus reloads... wow, a completely new game, and good at it, kind of confirms my theory that Hexen with gold and experience would have been a lot better. I ended with a STR+WIS build (23 & 25), so I could use every buff from the Wisdom spells. It was a shame that the regen spell didn't work as expected, as I thought it would be a permanent slow life regen, but it was a "short" duration potent one... I would have spent those extra 4 WIS into VIT, but whatever...

The only thing is that the game isn't very melee friendly, the bosses pushing you off are upsetting, and I found myself being VERY conservative to not lose my armor (specially in the "no turning back" missions), because no armor meant game over, as the life flasks would burn out quickly.

My top issues:
- Enemy corpses "targetable", aborbing my blows and shots
- Performance in some maps. Going as low as 20fps in the citadel (WTF?! Yet, I understand it, truly gorgeous)
- Not very melee friendly
- VIT should give resistance increments immediatly with each point. It sucks not getting extra 5% because you don't have an extra point to spend
- Berserkers... shouldn't DESTROY a armored melee character with 2 hits

Anyway, congrats! Great job! If you ever release more of this, I'm in!
DarkWarrior1995

Post by DarkWarrior1995 »

pagb666 wrote:The only thing is that the game isn't very melee friendly, the bosses pushing you off are upsetting, and I found myself being VERY conservative to not lose my armor (specially in the "no turning back" missions), because no armor meant game over, as the life flasks would burn out quickly.

My top issues:
- Enemy corpses "targetable", aborbing my blows and shots
- Performance in some maps. Going as low as 20fps in the citadel (WTF?! Yet, I understand it, truly gorgeous)
- Not very melee friendly
- VIT should give resistance increments immediatly with each point. It sucks not getting extra 5% because you don't have an extra point to spend
- Berserkers... shouldn't DESTROY a armored melee character with 2 hits

Anyway, congrats! Great job! If you ever release more of this, I'm in!
Wouldn't know about that last suggestion, as I've yet to enter that portion of the game, but the rest, I can agree with. Vitality's not offering enough of a benefit to be worth sacrificing damage, mobility, or spellcasting for, and especially not mobility, or we can't even enter Tristan Cathedral :(
EbonKnight

Post by EbonKnight »

Yeah I pretty much made some of the same points, melee is pretty underpowered in the game, but still gets you fine through the first half of it, later you don't really need it so much cause you start getting OP weapons like the heavy xbow.. overall balance is pretty good but a few mobs are downright infuriating.. still, awesome mod in almost all respects!
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

As a creator of an epic RPG mod myself, I have to say the character progression is pretty neat. The classless idea is interesting - it does look a bit weak early on (you're always forced into melee) but gets better once things are available. (melee vs. weapons vs. damage spells vs. utility spells)

I think the sweet spot is in the middle though, as once the big guns are available they kinda trump most other things. Currently rolling as an all-rounder type (19/14/13/19/08) at level 12, having started out as melee/wisdom. I find myself using weapons more than anything now (with the flame cannon soon to come), and it's really easy to keep them stocked up due to the excessive gold (though it's very difficult to balance, as I know from experience).

Vitality is pretty useless due to the fact you gain health as you level up anyway, it would perhaps have been better to have some permanent armour/resistances instead. (although this throws up it's own problems with low-damage attacks/sources, as I had with Serpent's constitution stat when I added characters who can push it above 20)
Zan

Post by Zan »

Great mod, love it so far, and I'm definitely recommend it to everyone I can.

I have a problem, though, stuck in the catacombs:
Spoiler:
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Zan wrote:I have a problem, though, stuck in the catacombs:
Spoiler:
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

What can I say? 11/10, Cacowards 2017 (hopefully) winner :D
Just finished it. Reminds me of the (unfortunately) unfinished "Blood Prequel" mod, I know no mods where the "open-world" system is more suitable.
Actually, I can't remember anything similar to this one (besides The Inquisitor I and II). I personally like "Blood"-styled mods (like "The City of the Damned: Apocalypse"), but there are only a few. This one is biggest of those "Blood"-styled mods, and the story, gameplay and level design is pretty solid and stable from the start till the end. Great work, Shadowman, BigMemka and all!
PS: The secret level is amazing :D You outdone the ID's work in there!
PS2: I've found 2 mapmaker's autographs/signs/easter eggs, are there any other I missed?
PS3: Good storyline and dialogues, I've enjoyed reading the notes and finding references to russian literature/poetry!
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Mere_Duke wrote: PS2: I've found 2 mapmaker's autographs/signs/easter eggs, are there any other I missed?
Thanks! :)
Spoiler:
Zan

Post by Zan »

Just finished it, it's absolutely great.

Not only one of my favorite mods, it's down right one of my favorite RPG games ever. Great work, seriously.

I'll take some time to list my thoughts and feedback in depth a bit later, but for now, know that I'm super glad to have played this, and will look into the previous games as well. Cheers!

P.S: Who is that Surja hag in the ending credits? Where do you find her?

Edit:

Alright, here's my feedback:

Positive:
1. Graphics and level of detail are absolutely amazing, but you might want to be more careful in the future since I see I'm not the only one with performance issues. Not sure what causes them, but yeah, just letting you know.
2. Well written story, dialogue, characters are pretty damn likeable, you did a great job to balance RPG elements with the shooter engine, it's just as detailed as it needs without getting too boring and complicated. Soundtrack is well picked, especially in towns, the game really gets you in the right mood to understand the story and what's going on (for someone who steps into this universe for the first time).
3. Level design is so friggin' good, I love how the level is huge, yet finds a way to guide you and get you back into certain areas. The portals are well placed to save you traveling time, and you sometimes have to stop and figure out what to do by yourself, and not just be pointed like a baby towards where you have to go. I also love how you sometimes have to go back to some areas to unlock various stuff, and also the secret areas are always great.
4. Levels are very atmospheric and have varied themes (nature, dungeon, hell, snow, castles etc.), yet fit and flow perfectly into the whole plot/world. You made this small world look really huge.
5. Speaking of castles. Just wow. I am seriously going to work on some castles in my current project, they are truly inspiring.
6. The class/level/skill system is very well done. I appreciate the effort that went into making spells (especially spells), weapons, items, money and exp gains. Also the resistance/monster type system adds a lot.

Negative/suggestions:
1. Unforgiving monster encounters in low fps areas (like the wyvern+imps on the King's Castles outer towers/bridges, or the zombies spawning right next to you in the cemetery). You could curve the problem by making these areas easier.
2. Auto aiming. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, I tried lowering auto aim to minimum in options but it doesn't work. My arrows always hit those invulnerable imps when fighting someone and it's very annoying. I haven't tried to give the weapons a +FPF_NOAUTOAIM in the A_CustomPunch thing, but you should probably force it off since it is very frustrating at times. I think it also makes you hit dead bodies instead of the enemy, which is very annoying.
3. Some bosses are really hard. Except for the Blood Pastor and Witch (which are great, because the level gives you a lot of space to dodge and take cover). The Gold Golem fight is in a too small area, and also if you want to melee him, you die in a second. The Lich King and Black Dragon areas are low fps, and even though bigger, they are still a nightmare to move in. With the Litch I kept running from his projectiles, but would inevitable run into him or in an object/wall at some point and instantly die. And the same problem is with those teleporting mages too, they teleport next to you and you die before you can react (some fights are real hard - like the Shadow Mage in the hell castle level, where you get the final machine piece in the lava caves - because the rooms are small).
4. Okay, this is useless to mention, since there is no way you could change it but maybe people who currently work on mods will think about it. You being Doom guy. It's stupid, and breaks the immersion like hell (especially now, since I have seen BLOOM - Blood in GZDoom, and decided not to play it because instead of Caleb, you play as Doom guy. Sorry, just no..). Honestly, if the game didn't get so good so early, I would have stopped playing at start simply because of this (combined with low fps in Tristan). One of the friends I told him about this game actually did it for this reason and won't trust me when I tell him the gameplay makes up.

Well, that's what I have on my mind right after finishing it. Needless to say, I will have a lot of good memories with this, play the other two, and heck, maybe replay it from time to time. Great work overall.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Zan wrote:Just finished it, it's absolutely great.
P.S: Who is that Surja hag in the ending credits? Where do you find her?
Have you been on map 11, "The Lost Valley"?
Spoiler:
Zan wrote: Negative/suggestions:
Thank you very much for the detailed comment. :)
As for the flaws:
1) Unfortunately, some locations do lag on non-powerful PCs. Wad authors decided that there's 2016 out there, so the majority of gamers would have powerful enough PCs. Apparently, that's not the case.
2) Very strange. Authors had some disagreements about autoaim. Guest thinks that autoaim greatly simplifies the game - he tested this wad with turned off autoaim. In my opinion, autoaim - the norm for this game (although it makes game somewhat difficult with the corpses & sleeping imps), that, quite possibly, we'll correct in the future.
3) Some bosses require the right tactics. Did you use invisibility against the lich king (try it, my advice). Gold golem can be beaten with the St. Bogdan's Flail (because it's hit radius is longer than the sword's). However, don't approach to it when it shakes the ground.
4) All "The Inquistor" series was originally conceived about Doomguy's adventures in an alternative dark-fantasy world. Wad's backstory is telling about it (as for the reason WHY Doomguy is there - The Inquisitor's 1 manual describes this). We wanted to keep the association freedom of the main character that was laid by id software - by making the hero an anonymous Doomguy rather than a specific character (like "BJ Blazkowicz" in Wolfenstein series).
Zan

Post by Zan »

I forgot to mention that this is the first orthodox-fantasy based game I've played, and realised I've only played catholic fantasy based games up until now. It felt oddly familiar, and It was fun to see some of the elements in the cathedral, and in the story. Again, big ups for the work :D

Hey, by the way, can any of you please answer me some editing related questions (in pm I guess)? I'm making my first game and wanted to ask you some simple stuff like how you added different music in different areas, or how you make text pop up on your screen, or how you made those tnt blow-able walls.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”