The Inquisitor 3D v1.4

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
EbonKnight

Re: The Inquisitor III

Post by EbonKnight »

The first mage spell takes too long to find, man it's a pain getting all the way to the graveyard with low str and dex.. I guess you have to start as more of a generalist if you want to be a mage. PS Afrits are bloody annoying.. actually, most enemies with random jumping patterns are a pain in melee but these bastards are nearly undodgeable AND they dodge bolts too..grr. Easy fix though, roll up a standard face-rolling paladin, and by the same time you get your first mage spell and still haven't found your first ranged weapon you can already have 18 str and 11 wis with Holy Strength and wreck some undead shit :D

I'm also not doing too flash on the quests front.. found a few camps with the greenskins and even some with boxes, even ones that had secrets - but still no luck finding that stone.. also, which grave is the widows' husbands' grave? And finally, I cleared every abomination from the graveyard bar all the wooden doors I cannot open and the mausoleum looking doors and ofc the main church doors? What am I missing? :o
Toyoch

Post by Toyoch »

EbonKnight wrote:The first mage spell takes too long to find, man it's a pain getting all the way to the graveyard with low str and dex.. I guess you have to start as more of a generalist if you want to be a mage. PS Afrits are bloody annoying.. actually, most enemies with random jumping patterns are a pain in melee but these bastards are nearly undodgeable AND they dodge bolts too..grr. Easy fix though, roll up a standard face-rolling paladin, and by the same time you get your first mage spell and still haven't found your first ranged weapon you can already have 18 str and 11 wis with Holy Strength and wreck some undead shit :D

I'm also not doing too flash on the quests front.. found a few camps with the greenskins and even some with boxes, even ones that had secrets - but still no luck finding that stone.. also, which grave is the widows' husbands' grave? And finally, I cleared every abomination from the graveyard bar all the wooden doors I cannot open and the mausoleum looking doors and ofc the main church doors? What am I missing? :o
both ranged weapons, Lightning spell and Crossbow are found in the church and it's indeed takes some time to find. I would recommend having some STR for better armor - aim for 15 BASE STR(14 if you use the stat bonus in the catacombs and want other stats first) to be able to wear Ring Mail, 19 late game(by the time when you enter the Citadel) for platemail.
You should only raise DEX if you plan to use the fire launcher, which requires 15.
Some INT-based spells are really powerful and you can read a bit about them in my previous posts(spoiler'ed), and WIS-based spells are full of useful buff spells.

For the stone quest:
Spoiler:
Church door:
Spoiler:
Also, those enemies you see in wilderness are Fresh/Fire Imps and they are much less aggressive than real "Afrits" you'll face in later game...
Shadowman wrote:Great! Another time try the warrior path. High Dexterity increases the damage of crossbows and elder gun :)
Spoiler:
While it was awesome, it takes lots of time per playthrough to try out another builds :/
heavy Crossbow and Shotgun can deal some damage, but not as fast or deadly enough to deal with bosses, swarming enemies or toughest enemies.
Spoiler:
EbonKnight

Post by EbonKnight »

*Edit* My bad, I forgot that Ifrits are the annoying Hexen upgrades from Heretic imps, so it only makes sense they would be more of a pain in the ass here too. I think I may need to invest into some dex pronto, 5 dex is apparently not cutting it for getting anywhere above ground, as long as 'anywhere' requires free climbing :/ Is my game bugged or is the default jump around 5-6 dex on par with a toddler or rhinoceros' jump height? I mean seriously, that is a PATHETIC jump, hopefully it gets better when investing in a bit of dex. Thanks for the help btw :D
EbonKnight

Post by EbonKnight »

Hey, so I've kicked the Bloody Pastor's ass and done all the quests up until the catacombs, but I cannot for the life of me find the blacksmith's daughter's damned doll! I've looked all around Tristan, by all the crates, all the bodies of water .. and nothing. Getting convinced that the girl is trolling me now.. :mrgreen:
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

EbonKnight wrote:Hey, so I've kicked the Bloody Pastor's ass and done all the quests up until the catacombs, but I cannot for the life of me find the blacksmith's daughter's damned doll! I've looked all around Tristan, by all the crates, all the bodies of water .. and nothing. Getting convinced that the girl is trolling me now.. :mrgreen:
No, there is no trolling :) The doll can be in several randomly selected points in Tristan. Ostap and Oksana's dialogues contain hints.
Spoiler:
Do not forget to talk to Cain and Andrew, the fisherman, about the bloody pastor.

P.S. A bit of dexterity. It also affects the critical shot from crossbows, and to dodge from hitting in close combat. (Monsters attack animation is present, but the damage is not applied ).
EbonKnight

Post by EbonKnight »

Oh wow, I didn't know that you CAN dodge in close combat.. really makes the quintessential characters a complete mage (wis + int) and a complete warrior (str + dex) doesn't it? So far I'm trying very hard to get to that mace and doing pretty well with a str/wis build but I do feel that the lack of dex is hurting me.. the upside is that I don't use any form of mana yet except for buffs and I practically don't use non-melee weapons so I get a lot of money to spend on armor.. which is needed, since I can't help taking damage all the time xD

And yes I've looked in all those places for the doll, hmm I guess I'll just try to look harder, heh. Damn doll xD PS being a fellow Slav I love what you did with the Cathedral, pretty awesome place :D
EbonKnight

Post by EbonKnight »

So how does the shotgun work? The manual is not very clear.. if I have -both- STR and DEX high I get less of a bonus, but it still gets a bonus from both, so it's ideal to have high strength and decent dexterity or high dex and decent str? Or is it like the heavy crossbow/fire launcher a straight str/dex weapon and it's best to have BOTH as high as possible? I'm wondering where to put points next, sitting on 23 str 21 wis, figure I'll go for 23 wis but my dex is only 5 unbuffed, so I figure 23 str/wis is enough, dex all the way from now on? :D Also thinking Sparks is an awesome deal for just one point in INT since I started at 5 and got a freebie at some point :>
Doom Juan

Post by Doom Juan »

Truly inspired level design - very well done.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

EbonKnight wrote:So how does the shotgun work? The manual is not very clear.. if I have -both- STR and DEX high I get less of a bonus, but it still gets a bonus from both, so it's ideal to have high strength and decent dexterity or high dex and decent str? Or is it like the heavy crossbow/fire launcher a straight str/dex weapon and it's best to have BOTH as high as possible? I'm wondering where to put points next, sitting on 23 str 21 wis, figure I'll go for 23 wis but my dex is only 5 unbuffed, so I figure 23 str/wis is enough, dex all the way from now on? :D Also thinking Sparks is an awesome deal for just one point in INT since I started at 5 and got a freebie at some point :>
If your Str + Dex < 20, then shotgun gets a damage within fixed point randomization.
If your 20 < (Str + Dex) < 40, then damage point is growing up (but randomization is present).
If your Str + Dex > 40, then shotgun gets a damage within fixed point randomization (but High damage point!)

Dexterity affects crossbows, strength doesn't affect it.
EbonKnight

Post by EbonKnight »

Ah cool, thanks. Gotta say I think I made things harder on myself by not using dex, now after getting 23 str/wis it's all out dex, hopefully I'll have enough xp by the end for the fire cannon which I just picked up. Seriously, though, heavy crossbow is AMAZING and the shotgun trivializes the most annoying mob of the game - various types of imps & afrits. Sad to say I'm finding the game easier as I go along, hah, though I'm sure past the castle bit I'll eat my words :D
Toyoch

Post by Toyoch »

EbonKnight wrote:Ah cool, thanks. Gotta say I think I made things harder on myself by not using dex, now after getting 23 str/wis it's all out dex, hopefully I'll have enough xp by the end for the fire cannon which I just picked up. Seriously, though, heavy crossbow is AMAZING and the shotgun trivializes the most annoying mob of the game - various types of imps & afrits. Sad to say I'm finding the game easier as I go along, hah, though I'm sure past the castle bit I'll eat my words :D
While shotgun is awesome vs Afrits, I prefer Lightning Storm that you fire an electric sphere that automatically shoots lightning bolt at anything in sight. :D

Also, be sure to drink Magic Elixir(square-ish red potion, don't get confused with roundy Strength potions) for extra stat points, and
Spoiler:
EbonKnight

Post by EbonKnight »

Heh, yeah, discovered that spoiler myself and was gutted to find out it's only 2 SP, thought I genuinely found a respec heh. Yeah, now I'm up to hell and finding that if I didn't start raising dex I'd be royally screwed.. getting 7 int for lighting sword also helps but the real star of the show is the secondary fire heavy crossbow, without that thing Balrogs rip you a new one if you're not a mage.

Finished the game just now. Holy mother of god was that an epic final fight.. jeez. Kept getting owned at first because I reckoned she summons infinitely.. if you actually take a step back and make sure to clear the mobs it becomes a lot easier.. again.. heavy crossbow alternate fire ftw. The fire launcher is also pretty impressive though the alternative fire is kinda meh.

Overall, gotta say this was fantastic. The story was ..well.. a bit over the top and not really making a whole lot of sense at times:
Spoiler:
Buuuut yeeeeahh.. other than that, and the fact that I thought some enemies were a bit too strong (ie a single melee non-boss enemy like the berserker satyr should NOT be able to DESTROY a melee-focused str character in 2 hits while taking 8, despite the fact he dies a bit more easily to some other weapons and lords of hell are just a complete pain in the ass unless you're a mage), the game was freaking awesome. Perhaps the Catacombs bit drags on a bit too long but everything else is spectacular.. I had a lot more fun with most hubs in this game than I actually had in Hexen, so there you go. Funnily enough, in the end my 7 int staff attack carried me through a lot of the final two boss fights.. can't imagine how badass that thing must be for a pure int focused character :o Perhaps a final concern then, a bit more love for STR, in the end I think all other stats but VIT turned out to be better, and STR was only saved by the fact I could ocassionally wear the 999 armor which was awesome.
pagb666

Post by pagb666 »

Can someone spoil me the portals combo? the mana cubes aren't popping in the right places... And I'm fed up tring to brute force it with those pesky afrits.
Jake Crusher

Post by Jake Crusher »

OK, here goes.
Spoiler:
DarkWarrior1995

Post by DarkWarrior1995 »

Just ran across this a couple days ago, and I gotta say, even with the lessened performance that comes with having a laptop instead of an actual desktop, this wad's got a lot going for it. The atmosphere, the soundtrack, gameplay mechanics... I just couldn't say no to at least trying it out, even if I'm not a big fan of first-person shooters.

That being said, I think I've gotten myself completely lost in the Catacombs now at the time of this post and I think I'm gonna want a hint or two to get me... well, unlost :P Performance issues aside, so far in exploring, I was able to find a weird shrine thingy that gave me an extra point in Vitality. Near that was a switch which supposedly "opened the way to the lower level." I'm more convinced that "way" was just a loop back to the room after the first one you step in upon entry from Tristan Cathedral.

It's evident I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what at this point :/

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”