DooM: Resurrected Nightmare (25th Anniversary Demo Release)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

DooM: Resurrected Nightmare (25th Anniversary Demo Release)

Postby XLightningStormL » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:08 am

Resurrected Nightmare Introduction:
A recreations of sorts of the original Doom Episode Trilogy, with inspirations from Half-Life, Silent Hill 1, DUSK, Console Dooms (PSX, and D64), Alien franchise, Dead Space, Dante's Inferno (the Book, and minor inspiration from the game), the DOOM Bible/Tom Hall-era DooM and many others. Resurrected Nightmare intends to recreate the original chapters: Knee Deep in the Dead, The Shore's of Hell, and Inferno, with more realistic, atmosphere heavy environments, making heavy use of the GZDOOM engine, with a heavy focus on Survival Horror, and Terror, with plenty of lore to boot (told through a modified MetaDoom Codex system, Computers found in Maps, Notes, and PDAs) later missions will feature Half-Life Style NPCs. Another feature of RN is the Store System, which is accessed through "Stores" you can find around maps, these things are mighty costly but you'll be able to scavenge EAAU Credits off of dead Ghouls (RN's Former Humans/Zombies) and find them around the map.

Features include:
- Expanded Weapons Arsenal, that will vary slightly from the three episodes, intended to fulfil the design roles, focuses and atmosphere of the episodes.
- Soundtrack by PRIMEVAL, all in .OGG, menu music/intermission/etc will be based on John Carpenter. and all level music will be similar to DUSK (with ambience, and battle themes)
- Store System, a-la Dead Space (It's not like D4D or Guncaster's 'menu store' systems)
- Basic Destruction system, and interactivity (a-la Max Payne, and Brutal Doom)
- Existent, but liberal Stamina system with Adrenaline Inventory items to give you infinite stamina for a short time (Blazkowicz/DG/DS is a Marine after all) movement WILL be slightly slower than DooM
- Light as a Resource, Lights (non-flat, non-patch, and non-texture lights) can be destroyed, require power, and be turned on, most of the levels will be dark, and filled with ambience
- Use of GZDoom's features, such as 3d Floors, transparent textures, brightmaps, dynamic lights, ACS, and more, with a mostly utilitarian-focused (quasi-realistic) design to levels.
- Neo-20th Century futurism (late 70s to Mid 90s) with CRTs, 90s-esque Advertisements, cheesy elevator muzak and all that jazz (DooM was made in the 90s after all, it's only natural)
- Improved Gore system, based on Nashgore, and built off of Droplets
- Characters, and Allies, based off of Half-Life, Strife, and Doom 3.
- Lore systems where you can read about Monsters, Weapons, Powerups, and read PDAs and Notes (powered by a modified DrPyspy's Metadoom Codex system), as well as by finding Cassette Players

Resurrected Nightmare nightmares for oldfarts (because the actual use of the OG 4chan word could get me banned for "insensitivity"):
- No Generic Style emulation of Romero, Tom Hall, Sandy Petersen, etc, there will be areas inspired, if not directly remade in their style, but apart from that everything else is designed by either me or Procket12, RN is a unique experience far away from the generic /idgames/ romero-style remake levels you find
- Ammo, and Health will be rarer than Doom, especially in higher level difficulties
- WILL REQUIRE THE LATEST VERSIONS OF GZDOOM
- Story will be told in A, and B sides, much like Doom 2016, and Doom Eternal (Actually a rather recent decision from late August inspired by Hugo Martin, and Marty Stratton)
- Story and Lore will be mostly serious, as most of the game, but there will be plenty of references, and funny stuff to lighten the mood (fitting in obviously because finding a big revelation, then having a fart joke would be criminally insane)
- Difficulty is mostly balanced around "Hurt me plenty" and designed not to be cheap, so don't expect Scythe II or Eviternity difficulty.
- Speed Running is, and will be possible, no cutscenes, or forced NPC stuff (though you will need to do key hunting, advanced-door unlocking events, use repair tools to wield doors open, etc)
- You'll have to jump, and crouch, there will be double jumping (a-la Doom 2016 where you'll need a late game item)
- Have to stress this again: Stamina (albeit very liberal)
- Run & Gun is still very important, but there will be times where it'll focus on lore, horror and atmosphere to break the combat tension (but this is DooM, you'll still be running and committing demon genocide 90% of the time)
- HARD CORE VETERANS WILL MOST LIKELY IGNORE THIS MOD, because it isn't a generic Doom remake with Archviles, Revenants, Gothic Design and a billion chain-gunners everywhere (I'm looking at you most popular wads >.>)
- Australians, and peeps with poor network speed, and hardware space are going to have a hard time with this mod, because it currently sits at 215 MBs atm, that's 95 MBs of textures, and 118 MBs of sounds + music (of which most of the space is taken up by ambient sounds, all of em in either .wav, .OGG, or doom format) and even then the demo is 89 MBs

Images (in album link because they're 540p so don't cry about)
https://imgur.com/a/e9vExk2

Download Link:

[REQUIRES DOOM2.WAD [It autoloads] AND NEWEST STABLE GZDOOM RELEASE!]

https://www.mediafire.com/file/738oja68 ... l.zip/file

Discord Channel:
https://discord.gg/dS8EHES

PLAYTESTERS WANTED
Message me via ZDoom Forums if you are interested :)

Credits
The Credits List is incomplete and will be changed as time goes on:
Spoiler:
Last edited by XLightningStormL on Tue May 07, 2019 3:42 am, edited 11 times in total.
XLightningStormL
DUSK Wiki Master

Discord: XLightningStormL#7461
Twitch ID: XLightmingStormL

Regardarding Doom 1 Reloaded: Resurrected Nightmare Standalo

Postby doomguy214 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:26 am

I am trying to make this mod standalone. I deleting following files in mods:-
1.MAPINFO
2.resurrectMaps.wad

But when play doom 1 episode 1 i keep showing the original Map in the wad.

Can u please advice which file to delete to show up original map of doom 1
doomguy214

Re: Doom 1 Reloaded: Resurrected Nightmare

Postby Gezzdt » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:53 am

Well, you need to delete the UDMFResurrect.wad too.
Gezzdt

Postby XLightningStormL » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:46 am

1. The Maps require the main .pk3.
2. also the .wads contain the map files, the .pk3 is the meat, the content

The Maps legit use various new textures, actors etc, and by extracting the base .wad and just using that, causes red diamonds and missing texture bugs.

The Mod isn't supposed to be game-play mod, it's designed as a partial-total conversion ;)
XLightningStormL
DUSK Wiki Master

Postby XLightningStormL » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:36 am

Forgot to update this, THIS IS NOT DEAD too, by the way

Last edited by wildweasel on Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Screenshots are too large, so I've shrunk them in accordance with the Image Posting Rules.
XLightningStormL
DUSK Wiki Master

Postby TDG » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:32 am

I gave your map pack a try yesterday though I have not finished it yet.
I prefer the realistic/Half Life approach to level design in wads like this and the Brutal Doom Hell on Earth SP pack to what I would describe as more "Abstract" level designs in regular Doom 1 and 2 that supposedly represent military bases or cities.
Perhaps they are more fun to play for most Doom gamers but they just can not entice me.
TDG

Postby XLightningStormL » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:50 am

Alright whatever, here's the newest build:
---

E1M2 is unfinished, and requires noclip to finish, beretta pistol is slated to be replaced by a new variant that actually looks like a beretta, instead of a futuristic water-pistol one
Last edited by XLightningStormL on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
XLightningStormL
DUSK Wiki Master

Postby grouchbag » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:05 am

This is looking really nice.Will give it a try. :D
grouchbag
I'm just a little old lady

Postby Wiw » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:23 am

Now this shows a lot of promise!
Wiw
Frequently puts foot in mouth

Postby grouchbag » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:10 am

Played some of this and was very impressed!Good exploring, some decent gameplay, pleasing and easy on the eyes.(Sorry, had to cheat some)Really enjoyed it.Good luck on it.Cheers! :D
grouchbag
I'm just a little old lady

Postby Ed the Bat » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:30 am

XLightningStormL wrote:Alright whatever, here's the newest build:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zifi7zhaa ... 810%29.pk3

Mediafire seems to have shot it down based on copyright.
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.

Postby Wiw » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:34 am

Really? It still shows up for me.
Wiw
Frequently puts foot in mouth

Postby Ed the Bat » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:35 am

Hm, you're right. It's working for me now. Must have been a brief glitch or something.
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.

Postby XLightningStormL » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:29 pm

An ACTUAL, High Quality Update:

Introductory Scroll Text based on Nevander's D64R Introductory Scroll ACS, complete with Doom Manual Story by S. Petersen (although with a few edits) and Perturbator's War Against Machines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idEV3HFIcnk

Images showing fancy dynamic lighting effects, 3d floors, glowing flats, gldef skyboxes, colored lighting, brightmaps, and neat texture effects

In another announcement, betas will no longer be released, instead I intend to have a small team of playtesters (10-15 max) that would theoretically get a new build upon every new level (the first, and next being the E1M2 build which will include the finished E1M2)

Cheers. :thumb:
XLightningStormL
DUSK Wiki Master

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:12 pm

Cool! It looks promising.
JohnnyTheWolf
Banned User

Next

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects