(WIP) Aliens: The Return (updated)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Deimos Anomaly

(WIP) Aliens: The Return (updated)

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

(WIP) Aliens: The Return

-The story behind:

This project started life as a mere map-pack for my previous "Aliens: Colonial Marines" TC some years ago.
But I soon realized that while ACM was a fun TC, I never felt fully satisfied with it so my quest for a "perfect" TC based on Aliens pushed me to tirelessly work on a new project from scratch.
This new TC has been under development since late 2015 and has went under many revisitions, different weapons/enemies mods and sourced material, but it is starting to take form and become something solid.

-Project Concept:

At the moment the plans are to feature two distinct episodes: one will be the adaptation of the Aliens movie, and the other a new story-driven episode set on a different location.

Episode 1 "ALIENS":

Back to LV-426. But this time, the REAL Hadley's Hope Colony. Yes, the real one!
Not any imagined/based-on/slightly similar colony seen in my previous maps.
After a lot of research, I collected a huge amount of data concerning the colony as seen in the movie: maps, blueprints, specs...
A less than a 10% of the whole complex was seen in movie, so I had to imagine and create from scratch the rest of the unseen colony; allways with a glimpse of realism and functionalism for what is supposed to be a real Colony.

Similar to "Colonial Marines" TC, this time you will reprise the role of Corporal Dwayne Hicks again, experiencing the whole Aliens movie through his perspective.
Every map will represent a different scene as the movie goes, but as you will play as Hicks and not as Ripley, you are not going to act as her on her scenes; but going to play a different action representing what Hicks would have done while we are not seeing him on screen.

The whole Hadley's Colony is faithfully recreated this time, but the map is too damn big that is nearly impossible to play due to heavy lag and sound effects being disabled on most on the map because the high amount of actors placed on it.
My original idea was to have the whole Colony at the disposal of the player in a sandbox style, with missions that granted acces to different parts of the big complex as they were completed; such missions were to be given by your allies (Ripley, Hudson, Bishop etc) that had to be located on the Operations block.
Since the map is unplayable as it is, this idea has been discarded.
The plans are to have every building separated into a map and use the whole exterior of the Colony to acces them all in a HUB system.

At the moment, the map list is planed as this:

1-"USS Sulaco": Attend the briefing, get your equipation and prepare to descent to LV-426.
2-"Main Colony Complex": Explore the desolated complex with your squad.
3-"Operations Block": Explore the desolated Operations Block with your squad.
3-"Atmosphere Processor": Explore the hive and get out of it alive.
4-"Hadley's Hope Colony": This time, explore the WHOLE colony conected as a HUB system to secure an escape plan. There will be a possibility to discover an optional map.
5-"Atmosphere Processor": Although badly injured, descent again to the lower levels of the nuclear reactor while Ripley is rescuing Newt to help them both.
6-"Mining Complex" (optional)

Episode 2 "Dead On Arrival" (WIP name):

This is going to be a not so large episode with a different story and a more lineal and basic layout:
As the only survivor of a USCM squad sent to investigate the distress signal of a Weyland-Yutani Orbital Station your goal will be to scape the station to the Colony on the planet beneath where a functioning freighter lies abandoned on the infested spaceport.

There are a pair of levels in progress although development of this episode was halted long time ago until the main one is finished.
For now, the planed map list is as follows (subject to changes):

1-"USS Erebus": The station that orbits LV-A7 and serves as both command platform and station for transport vessels.
2-"LV-A7 Colony": A remake of the second map of the classic AvPvT TC.
3-"Nuclear Power Plant"
4-"Toxin Refinery": A remake of the classic Ultimate Doom E1M3 map.
5-"Landing Pads": A remake of the first map of the classic Aliens TC by Justin Fisher.

It will be an homage to some TCs and games that had a huge impact on me. I am even thinking to add a pair of Alien Trilogy map remakes on the episode.

Contrary to my previous TC that was heavily inspired by the first AvP game from 1999, this time I am drawing all inspiration from the Dead Space franchise.
I am trying to capture the terrorific sci-fi ambientation and environments of such games, and perhaps the gameplay style will be similar.
But of course there will be many nods to the franchise, such as similar situations, sounds and music.

So now you can have a clue of how the game will work. I'm open to opinions and suggestions so feel free to comment!

-Resources/Who's helping me?:

For now I am still alone and in charge of this project. However the talented Ozymandias81 (a BoA development team member) is actively helping and contributing on the project providing 3D models, clean ups and revisitions.

DISCLAIMER: Although he used a very old version of the "Hadley's Hope Colony" map to make a promotional video for his mod, I am NOT related to Kontra Kommando or any of his mods; neither is this TC related to him in any way. We talked years ago to make a team and a project together but he "dissapeared" and communication ceased from his part long before we could do anything together. It is important to note that as his video featuring my map is still floating on YouTube and I want to make clear to everyone to who belongs it.

Textures:

I am still using the old AvP2 texture pack made by Limes Zen Sky that I previously used on "Colonial Marines" TC.
However this time I am extensively using a lot of neatly adapted textures from Doom 3 + new others that are phasing out the old texture pack in most areas.
Brightmaps and animated textures will be present everywhere, giving a unique feeling to the maps; they no longer look sterile Doom maps, but a real, living place.

3D Models:

An extensive pack of 3D models has been introduced this time: vehicles, furniture, structures... even the vehicles from the Alien universe are present this time!

Weapons and enemies:

I have permission from Willkuer to use his USCM weapons mod though it is still an ongoing mod in progress. Regarding the Xenomorphs, my intention is to use the ones from Alien Trilogy. I always loved this sprites and they perfectly fit with the TC.

Sounds:

Still using many of the previous sounds from "Colonial Marines" TC that came from AvP. But I am adding some sounds from Doom 3 and Dead Space for a better and more immersive dark ambientation.

Music:

This time the soundtrack for the TC will be composed by music of the original Aliens OST and Dead Space franchise.

-Pictures:

-When to be released?:
It will probably take a few years, although I must say that the first episode is nearly finished and a DEMO is coming soon!
Last edited by Deimos Anomaly on Tue May 07, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: (WIP) Aliens: The Return

Post by Vostyok »

Hey, if you're going to start afresh as it were, could we maybe change the Xenomorph's behaviour a touch.
It's always bugged me a little, and I understand the reasons why, but the ridiculously rapid movement we've had since AVP just feels wrong in an fps game. I know they had to balance the class against the superior firepower of the marine and predator, but it just doesn't suit the feeling I get watching the movies. I dunno, maybe something a little slower and tougher (hell a bunch of convicts could outrun one in Alien III) just my two cents.

Getting off my soapbox for a moment, I've been considering doing some up to date xenomorph sprites. Let me know if you a demo posted
Deimos Anomaly

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

Vostyok wrote:Hey, if you're going to start afresh as it were, could we maybe change the Xenomorph's behaviour a touch.
It's always bugged me a little, and I understand the reasons why, but the ridiculously rapid movement we've had since AVP just feels wrong in an fps game. I know they had to balance the class against the superior firepower of the marine and predator, but it just doesn't suit the feeling I get watching the movies. I dunno, maybe something a little slower and tougher (hell a bunch of convicts could outrun one in Alien III) just my two cents.

Getting off my soapbox for a moment, I've been considering doing some up to date xenomorph sprites. Let me know if you a demo posted
You're right on this point.
Watching the trilogy again, I clearly have in mind how they are not that fast as we have seen in much videogames. I think Alien Trilogy was right on this, as their Xenos were quite slow but though. Maybe I can go serious on this, and have two different types of Aliens. Ones fast but weak (like the ones I had on ACM) and other ones slower and thougher. Summon them randomly with a chance of 50% per type will make a very interesting threat to the player.
Thanks!!
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Or runner and warrior/drone. The comics even make that distinction 8-)
You wouldn't even need random spawners, just different monsters giving either leaping, crawling or (shudder) creeping jumpscare species.

Alien Isolation gave a good refection of raw power without needing to give the thing amphetamines.

Glad you agree. It's your call though. I will still have a go at those sprites, if you wanted me to.

Edit: forgot to mention. Love love love those maps
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Looking good man :D

When will it be a demo playable of this to-be new masterpiece?
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Those maps are looking sexy!
Big C

Post by Big C »

This looks gnarly. One thing I liked about the Justin Fisher TC was that you could or had to close certain doors in certain levels to seal off areas from xenos. Will there be anything like that here? :D
Evilfish6666

Post by Evilfish6666 »

Aww yeah man!
Loved your original project, sure as hell I'm going to love this too :D

I've got a MAJOR hard-on for Aliens, and to a slightly lesser extent the original Alien movie too. I literally have spend hours pawing over blueprints & SFX model shots of the original miniatures in order to recreate Hadley's for my own Aliens Fan game.
Cant wait to see your take on it.

On the subject of the Motion Tracker I've been messing about in 3DS Max with the model from that awful Gearbox monstrosity (hey at least some of the models we're ok lol) and eventually plan on turning it into a sprite.

Here's the Isolation Tracker I did as a quick test.
Spoiler:
Also if you want I'd so be up for creating some low-poly scenery in Max, Y'know Powerloader's, APC's & alike.
But tbh that depends on the visual style your planning on.
Deimos Anomaly

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

Thanks for all your comments folks :D
Vostyok wrote:Or runner and warrior/drone. The comics even make that distinction 8-)
You wouldn't even need random spawners, just different monsters giving either leaping, crawling or (shudder) creeping jumpscare species.

Alien Isolation gave a good refection of raw power without needing to give the thing amphetamines.

Glad you agree. It's your call though. I will still have a go at those sprites, if you wanted me to.

Edit: forgot to mention. Love love love those maps
The thing with the "alien drone" is that i think that term was coined years after Aliens or Alien 3 were released on cinemas. I think it came with the videogames or the AVP universe.
This was not present on Aliens, and I am being 100% canonical to the movie. With the exception of some locations I am only working on what was seen on the movie, and there were only the so called "alien warriors". But as you told me before, they were quite slow and strong so for gameplay balance there will be slow but strong aliens, and fast and weak aliens :)
You have the go to work on any sprites you might consider useful!
Endless123 wrote:Looking good man :D

When will it be a demo playable of this to-be new masterpiece?
Thanks for your kind words! More than a demo I'll be looking for a few beta-testers as soon as the Colony map is 100% so you are welcome to give it a try!
Valherran wrote:Those maps are looking sexy!
Big C wrote:This looks gnarly. One thing I liked about the Justin Fisher TC was that you could or had to close certain doors in certain levels to seal off areas from xenos. Will there be anything like that here? :D
As you can read on the description, at least there will be a mission with the goal to close certain doors to isolate Operations Block from the rest of the colony.
There will be other missions where you'll have to set-up barricades, and there will be lots of security doors on the colony to seal off :wink:
Evilfish6666 wrote:Aww yeah man!
Loved your original project, sure as hell I'm going to love this too :D

I've got a MAJOR hard-on for Aliens, and to a slightly lesser extent the original Alien movie too. I literally have spend hours pawing over blueprints & SFX model shots of the original miniatures in order to recreate Hadley's for my own Aliens Fan game.
Cant wait to see your take on it.

On the subject of the Motion Tracker I've been messing about in 3DS Max with the model from that awful Gearbox monstrosity (hey at least some of the models we're ok lol) and eventually plan on turning it into a sprite.

Here's the Isolation Tracker I did as a quick test.
Spoiler:
Also if you want I'd so be up for creating some low-poly scenery in Max, Y'know Powerloader's, APC's & alike.
But tbh that depends on the visual style your planning on.
My original project was quite fun, but this will be way bigger and I hope way better :wink:
I am interested on that Motion Tracker sprite you are doing after the Gearbox monstrosity; as I am thinking to make it an usable item by itself rathern tan to be displayed in HUD. I mean, you have to select and use the motion tracker (changing your actual weapon) as we have seen on the movies; I think the Gearbox title was right on this.
And your Isolation tracker looks so neat! Would you provide some more sprites? Join the team? :D

Low-poly scenery is a must for me now! Do you have models or can you work doing models? :o
I am after APC's, Dropship, Powerloaders and other stuff...
Evilfish6666

Post by Evilfish6666 »

Yeah I'll help out where I can :D
Here's a very WIP ACM Motion Tracker, still needs tons of work.
Spoiler:
Tbh having to raise the Tracker in ACM was probably my favorite thing about the whole damn game. It's really atmospheric and creepy when that sucker begins to beep off screen before you actually raise it.

And yup most of the low-poly stuff I was going to make myself using 3dsmax.

Anyways I'll send you a private message when I get a sec, I've got loads of ideas and such I wanna run by you.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

I suppose we will have some kind of safe house and also like a store to resuply or there is nothing of that kind?? After all, we kill aliens and they dont bleed ammo :P
Deimos Anomaly

Re: (WIP) Aliens: The Return (updated)

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

Main post updated with news and screenies!
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Oh yeah! So awesome :D

I'm on sick leave right now, dying of boredom but you made my day Deimos! Had I known you'd post today, I'd have crawled out of bed and polished that Pulse Rifle - can't wait! :mrgreen:
You know my spare time is short, but as always, tell me if I can help here and there. Least I can do is keep working on this weapon set. Though the motion tracker will need a rework I guess.

Anyways, great job Deimos! And thanks for posting those screenshots - I was really curious and you did not disappoint :) Cheers!
Deimos Anomaly

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

willkuer wrote:Oh yeah! So awesome :D

I'm on sick leave right now, dying of boredom but you made my day Deimos! Had I known you'd post today, I'd have crawled out of bed and polished that Pulse Rifle - can't wait! :mrgreen:
You know my spare time is short, but as always, tell me if I can help here and there. Least I can do is keep working on this weapon set. Though the motion tracker will need a rework I guess.

Anyways, great job Deimos! And thanks for posting those screenshots - I was really curious and you did not disappoint :) Cheers!
Thank you for your kind words my friend :D :D
I will send you a copy of the latest upgrade soon so you can test it and perhaps play with the new weapons a bit.
Yesterday I was thinking to send you a PM telling some things that could be perfected on your mod. We have to join forces and work together :P

And glad you're not dissapointed, I am working really hard on this maps!!
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I was waiting for this to come back, I always thought the original ACM mod didnt quite reach its full potential.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”